It's Hip to be Square (Headlight/Grille Swap) Updated Pics!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

It's Hip to be Square (Headlight/Grille Swap) Updated Pics!

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I haven't posted a nutty idea this week (or have I? :?), so I came up with this one. It starts out practical enough - we all know the stock headlights suck, hence the reason stock Euro headlight swaps are so popular, amoung an assortment of other conversions. As I hacked up some of the remaining un-needed bits from the Brat, the notion of fitting the 4-square headlights from the Subaru to the XR crossed my mind, and it looks like it would be do-able based on a quick mock-up. Bonus points here for the fact that E-spec replacements for the sealed halogens are available.

But I didn't stop there.... Despite that fact that I've generally never thought much of Pontiac designs, I always have liked the small 6-square headlight feature of the early 90's Grand Prix Coupe. Wonder how that setup might look on a XR with a custom grille? Anyone good with Photoshop?

Here's an eBay link to both a Brat and Grand Prix. Yea, I know eBay links are a bad idea for referencing something, but it was quick and easy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac- ... 3717QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-B ... enameZWDVW
Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I'm not a fan of the quad headlamp conversion. There were several of those made for E21 and E30 BMWs, and I think they look like $#!%. The GM miniquads put out pretty good light, but replacements are very expensive.

Personally, I am looking into using Hella's modular headlight system:

Here
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Yeah, I've often thought that those Gran Prix lights would open up some cool looking possibilities for the front end of our cars and clean up the poor aerodynamics of the grill around the lights.

Wilky

PS: Great minds think alike eh! :wink:
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Interesting to note that the only other car I'm aware of with the apparent 6-square headlight design is the limited production Alfa Romeo SZ of similar vintage to the Pontiac. http://home.wxs.nl/~evdbeek/szstory02.html

No doubt, Alfa would claim that Pontiac stole the idea from them, but I've never heard the topic discussed.

Hmmm, just thinking out loud with Wilky's input, my initial thought would have been to get the lights located on roughly the same vertical plane as stock, and have a custom grille built around them. But maybe a better idea :roll: would be to use the less steeply raked grille/headlight surround from the Pontiac (clearly NOT plug-n-play), which would also cover up part of that (too) long US bumper that most of us don't like from a design standpoint.

Where's Sock with his mad-max design technique when we need him??? :twisted:
Robert Urfer
Level 3
Level 3

4 square headlights

Post by Robert Urfer »

I have the 4 square headlights and grill on my XR. I got it fom Germany. Very different looking. pics can be seen on merkusport in members cars section " pics of Roberts car"
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: 4 square headlights

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Robert Urfer wrote:I have the 4 square headlights and grill on my XR. I got it fom Germany. Very different looking. pics can be seen on merkusport in members cars section " pics of Roberts car"
Is that the one that was sold by Hella, that included the grille and lights in one kit? I recall seeing that before, but had forgotten about it. You're coming to Carlisle, right? :P

I don't how/if it would work out space-wise, but I still think the "6-headlight" approach of the Pontiac would be cool, just cause it's way different. I mention the Pontiac rather than the Alfa, cause I don't think we're going to come across too many Alfa SZ's around here.
logic
Level 3
Level 3

Sock who...?

Post by logic »

Would any of you like to see THIS in your driveway every day??

This one has practically the whole GP front clip on it. Yuck.

This is a bit better:

Same as before, but with Cossie bumper. Still yuck.

Here's one I can actually partially maybe possibly tolerate:

Problem 1 with this idea is this: The nose on the GP is much more sharply raked than on an XR. The vertical dimension of the grille/lights combo is much smaller than that of an XR.

Problem 2: As far as I can tell, the GP's nose is also much more "pointy" in the center of the bumper. Has a sharp point on it in the center if viewed from directly above the car.

I think that getting something like this to line up with an XR's bodywork would be very time-consuming and difficult, not to mention very questionable from an aesthetic point of view. Simply put -- the GP is WAAAAY too ugly to combine with an XR and still look good. Kinda like the XR with the Jetta headlights, Nissan combat front bumper, etc., that I'm sure most of us have seen and felt nauseous about.

Just my $.026647998[/img]
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Dude! Nice Photochop work!!! 8)

I don't know, I sorta like it. The Pontiac badge needs to go away for sure, and I understand what you're saying about the Pontiac nose being more pointed. But it definetely makes that "park bench" front bumper go away and gives the car a more aero look.

If only it was as easy to do this sorta stuff in real life as it is in Photoshop! :?
logic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by logic »

Thanks, dude. Being a graphic designer has its benefits. :)

Anyway, I was actually surprised how well that first pic went together. The fenders and stuff *almost* line up. As for the park bench bumper -- there's always the cossie stuff -- IF you have dough like that. But there are also other alternatives out there, like I've seen one with a Corolla bumper. I hear Impreza bumpers fit. Then, there's always a UK-spec XR4i bumper (which I'm seriously considering) and the cost on that would be MUCH lower than an RS one. And easier to get.

Bottom line: Thank the Federal Government for taking a pretty cool-looking car and fugging it up.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I don't like it, but the sloped nose might be a way to blend with the fat bumper a little bit.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

i think the first pic is way better than the second, and the 3rd almost made me barf. you guys are nuts!!!

the angry eyes with the cossie hole... now THAT'S a good looking XR, RS500 bumper of course. that's where it's at. the car is a block and will forever be a block, get used to it. blocks are cool. 8)
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

I like it. Not sure why, because I hate Pontiacs (and GM in general), but it strikes my fancy. Frankly, I'm scared.
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin wrote:I like it. Not sure why, because I hate Pontiacs (and GM in general), but it strikes my fancy. Frankly, I'm scared.
Yea, pretty much sums up my thoughts precisely as well. :twisted: In fact, I think the sole reason I don't like the first pic is because it looks too much like a Pontiac.

The weather 4cast is for 50's and sunny tomorrow and one of these Pontiacs just showed up in my local junkyard (that's where I got the idea). It's going to be hard not to find myself taking an extended lunch tomorrow. Incidentally, the 4cast for Sunday is snow and temps in the teens - Winter on. :?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Don't anyone accuse me of "all talk, no action"... :twisted:
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

So that would be the "Squinting Eye" conversion? :lol:
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."