XR Chassis mods

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Raze
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Raze »

Lexan windows rock and remove quite a bit of weight, especially with respect to the sunroof, luckily you have the roof covered. We did the sunroof and rear 4 side windows in lexan, I have no complaints, they contoured well and I just riveted them in. I even sealed them w/silocone and weather stripped them, now it's hard to tell they aren't stock.
Eventually I want to do the door windows and rear glass (our car while track prepped still needs to spend some time outside so it's gotta be close to watertight)
HY35w, FMIC & BOV, 3" exhaust, 75#/hr, 255lph, MegaSquirt-I V3 w/3bar, T5, 4-point roll bar, rear strut brace, gutted, lexan windows and sunroof, Odyssey PC680, Koni + Ground Control (7" 250#/in) front, KYB (8.5" 600#/in) rear, TC rear brakes
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Raze wrote:Eventually I want to do the door windows and rear glass (our car while track prepped still needs to spend some time outside so it's gotta be close to watertight)
The rear window is what makes up ~80% of the weight of the hatch, so going Lexan there is an easy way to trim ~50 lbs. <See "Weight is the enemy" thread> :lol:
Brad
Raze
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Raze »

Yeah, it's really just the cost factor right now, this is afterall a budget buildup, a sheet of lexan that large is not cheap, I mean doing the rear side windows and sunroof wasn't cheap either...
HY35w, FMIC & BOV, 3" exhaust, 75#/hr, 255lph, MegaSquirt-I V3 w/3bar, T5, 4-point roll bar, rear strut brace, gutted, lexan windows and sunroof, Odyssey PC680, Koni + Ground Control (7" 250#/in) front, KYB (8.5" 600#/in) rear, TC rear brakes
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

That is the most awesome XR Ever!
Ok, how much do you think it'll cost to make a CF Hatch? Also, will you make another CF Roof?
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

fastmaul wrote:Ok, how much do you think it'll cost to make a CF Hatch?
Erik- If you ever get the chance to pick up a rear hatch once the glass has been removed, you'll realize there's not enough weight there to be shed to make it worth the effort. Like I mentioned above, the weight of the hatch is all in the glass, not the frame. Of course, that doesn't mean that Gene won't do it any way. I mean, 5 lbs, is 5 lbs, right? :P
Brad
youngfg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by youngfg »

When I get a chance I will weigh the hatch and they glass and post them. I do know the hatch with everthing removed is pretty light, but add the glass, the wiper motor, latch, ect. it gets pretty heavy.

Here are some updated pics. I got my clutch linkage worked out, and haved done more body work.

http://www.sirscca.org/gene/XRBodyandclutch/index.html

As for making CF parts I will make them, but by the time you add the material costs, my time, then add shipping it usually is cost prohibitive, and they are race only parts, stock mounting won't work, no gasket surfaces, ect. If that stuff doesn't bother you PM me.
For a roof I would have to charge a minimum of $750.00 to make it worth my time, as for a hatch or doors I haven't make one yet.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ha, I just noticed that you left the dashboard VIN tag in place - you gonna make this street legal Gene!? :lol:
Brad
youngfg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by youngfg »

Of course it will be street legal.
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Thanks Brad, hmm maybe Taryn should look into Lexan rear glass LOL.
She doesn't have the rear wiper (it's deleted) so the only thing that there is really the glass and lock oh, and the RS500 wing LOL.

Gene, that doesn't bother me at all. I'll send you a pm :D
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

youngfg wrote:Of course it will be street legal.
*chuckles*
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
PDenbigh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PDenbigh »

Gene, your project gets better and better. Big props to the time and skill you are investing! Quite the inspiration!
Peter Denbigh

http://www.85xr.com
youngfg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by youngfg »

I need a set of stock front fenders. I only need from the wheel centerline forward.
I want to keep the nose of the car narrow back to the wheel arch so I can have a bigger splitter. So I want the stock fender profile back until it meets up with the wheel arch.

Here is what my car is going to look like when it's finished.
Notice the fat front bumper/air dam without a good splitter.

I want my front end to look more like this Mercedes DTM car with a skinny front end and a good splitter. To do that I need a set of stock front fenders, anyone have a set they would part with?

Fender want to buy post
youngfg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by youngfg »

I got some work done on the seat mounts, and the rear fender.

More pics here
2 Bar XR

Post by 2 Bar XR »

That car is sick damm I have something to shoot for on my next XR :notworthy
Tom R My Toys Black 88 XR "2BAR XR" Black 88 XR
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Are you building this car to fit a specific class?

What dampers are you using?

What did you use to shape the foam?

What do you do for work? (out of curiousity, since you have amazing fabrication skills)
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com