Turn signals stopped... signaling

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Turn signals stopped... signaling

Post by Spaldino »

so i noticed last night that when i go to use my turn signal... it doesnt come on anymore. everything else on the column works fine, i tested everything... is a fuse gone? is there even a "fuse" for just that in the xr? i hope its a fuse so i can fix this in the parking lot before i leave work in 2 hours...
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

There's a turn signal relay.
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

do those generally go bad? how is that fixed?
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

Relay? Is that the same as the "Flasher"...anyway down by the top of the brake pedal on the fire wall I think...I think it's blue...just pick up a new one at Autozoo...is it all the signals or just one.
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

left and right turn signals dont come on at all... thats why i thought there was a "fuse"... hmmm... oh well... i guess il have to be the "jackass that doesnt use a signal" on the way home.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

Well check in the box in the drivers side cowel...there may be a fuse there. On the underside of the cap there's id info of them all.
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Most likely it is the turn signal switch itself,usually the hazard button goes for a crap and all the contacts for the turn signals go through there. It wouldn't hurt to check the flasher. It is BLACK and clips on the side of the steering column support bracket way up behind the instrument cluster. You will need to pull the cluster to get at it.
If you don't have a factory shop manual (paper or CD), get one!
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

luckily i do have one... came with my new 88... im gonna try the fuse first, thanks people.
Shigma
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shigma »

Play with the hazard switch... pull it up a little bit use needle nose pliars or else the red thing will come off
01 Cavalier - it still runs!
08 Evo X GSR - Stock.. for now
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

I would vote for the switch itself. That hazzard button is a PITA.
:)
wesvailco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wesvailco »

ever think it could be the bulbs? the do expire from time to time... :roll:
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

wesvailco wrote:ever think it could be the bulbs? the do expire from time to time... :roll:
Both bulbs at the same time?

Shigma was right (after all, it was his XR before mine) i pulled up the hazard "button" a little bit and they work now. odd, but they work.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

i think that pops off with like a light pull with needle nose (can someone confirm that) and then spray it with some tuner/ electrical spray...when I did the dash replacement I remember findin alot of cru in there. Might clean it up and get the lights going.

Good call on that one by the way...saved him a trip to the chiropractor!
QUICKXR4TI
Level 2
Level 2

Post by QUICKXR4TI »

Mine did the same thing.It was the hazzard swich.I just moved mine to where it worked,then secured it with a screw.
Phil