A forbidden question??? Cutting stock springs...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

What length did you get? I'm using the 750 lb/in Hyperco(il?) springs in the (short) 8.5" length - here's the kind of ride height acheived:

Quite low, but not so much that I'd be afraid to drive it around on actual, non-groomed, public roadways. :)

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

fast_xr4@yahoo.com wrote:Stock front springs are 97lb/in I've read. Stock rears are 500lb/in. there much stronger because they are located on the frame rails much further in on the trailing arm or lever. Hmm...talk about your cheap upgrade. Anyone want to buy my stock rear springs? I've got 450lb coil overs already and dont' need them. I replaced my rears with 750 lb Hyperco springs from mc2racing.com

Also taking out the rubber insert on top of the rear springs should lower the car cosiderably. I'd say an inch. I'll probably do this after the springs settle. The Hyperco's don't seem to want to seat on the stock rubber perch so it could be a severe drop for me.
Is it possible to use the rear springs in place of the stock fronts? That would be nice...

In the meantime, I've been thinking I'll probably do the V6 Tempo fronts, maybe cut down for ride height, in combination with a decent strut... maybe a Koni adjustable, but maybe just some new GR2s. I think it should be a reasonable setup. For the rears, I was anticipating keeping the rears and just trimming 'em a half coil (or a full coil), again with a good rear shock, maybe Konis again.

One last question, and this may require a different thread. But, what is the maximum tire width that will fit in the stock wheelwell with the stock front strut/spring setup? Anyone?
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

Colin wrote:What length did you get? I'm using the 750 lb/in Hyperco(il?) springs in the (short) 8.5" length - here's the kind of ride height acheived:

Nevermind my previous post... that's the ride height I want. I'm definitely gonna do that on the rear! Just gotta sort out the fronts now...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

worked_xr wrote:One last question, and this may require a different thread. But, what is the maximum tire width that will fit in the stock wheelwell with the stock front strut/spring setup? Anyone?
Yea, probably best to cover this topic in a new thread, but I'd first suggest searching the messages archives on here. We've certainly talked about this issue before - I will say that wheel offset gets critical as you try to stuff wider rubber under the fenders.
Turbopit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Turbopit »

Colin wrote:
wesvailco wrote:customer service nowadays sucks EVERYWHERE.....i make it as easy as pie for those guys.
Yeah... you try working a customer service job for a while - report back how you like it after you deal with all these condescending jackasses with a "customer is always right" attitude, coming in acting like they've got something to prove. :roll:

Colin
Are you aware of what he does for a living?

As far as Bat goes, I've been surprised a couple fo times that when I have asked them a rtechnical question, no one there could answer it.
fast_xr4@yahoo.com
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fast_xr4@yahoo.com »

I've got the 750 7.5" springs and it sits nowhere near that low. My tires are 225/45/17.
'86 XR 340rwhp @ 5k
'05 STi dp, hdr
'05 Freestyle CAI
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

I just finished installing the lowered bat ones, I like em. But as was posted earlier you have to ask them if they are instock first. I'll take a picture when I get a chance . Think they are near what Colins is. But they are expensive, Mc2 is cheaper for springs. not sure which are better the spax or the bilstiens(shocks/struts). Was told at the time that they were about the same.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Can I stop now I'm broke.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Turbopit wrote:
Colin wrote:
wesvailco wrote:customer service nowadays sucks EVERYWHERE.....i make it as easy as pie for those guys.
Yeah... you try working a customer service job for a while - report back how you like it after you deal with all these condescending jackasses with a "customer is always right" attitude, coming in acting like they've got something to prove. :roll:

Colin
Are you aware of what he does for a living?
No, sir. My comment was more of a public service announcement than an attack directed toward wes, anyway... sorry if it came off as hostile, I usually post on here after returning from work. :lol:

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
wesvailco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wesvailco »

thanks mike....colin, no foul.....but, i do manage a hotel here in vail. going on 8 years, so yes, i do understand condesending jackasses....i had a "meeting" with a lovely pair this morning, mrs so and so wasn't happy with her breakfast, wasn't happy with our parking, our pool, our bar.....she wasn't happy about the foot of fresh we got (it was epic)....nothing this week went right for her. her husband was probably the biggest pussy i have encountered this year, didn't say a word. so did i cave and refund $1860.00 in revenue? NO, i told her to have a great trip home and visit again. i just listened to her bitch for about an hour....i had a great excuse for every problem and just let her ware herself out. in the end...i still look good, the hotel got the money and i'll bet they'll be back to vail...maybe not my hotel but i guarantee "they" will be back......its vail for f**ks sake.

but when "ordering" parts, a hotel room.....anything, i ask lots of questons and i ask the person whom i'm placing the order with to repeat everything back to me. even the total price with shipping...just make it easy on them.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Wes, I feel your pain, and thanks-- from the rest of the Hospitality Industry-- for not caving in. Those who do (when there's no good reason; you know what I mean) betray the rest of us, and help to create more "professional monsters" out there. Way to go. 8)

Spektor-- there's more to the story than price. mc2racing have a great tech article feature on their site, and a lot of info in their product descriptions. It would behoove you to read-- well, pretty much everything the site contains!
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
Black94 5.0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Black94 5.0 »

wesvailco wrote:hmmmm....next time you call and make an order try this:

"high" my name is so and so, i would like to see if you have "____" IN STOCK and READY TO SHIP.

she'll ask for a part number (which you should already have if calling BAT, the catalog is online) and she'll check, honest. if its in-stock and ready to ship, expect it in 2-5 daze depending on shipping. customer service nowadays sucks EVERYWHERE.....i make it as easy as pie for those guys. i figure the person on the other end is as "high" as i am....speak slowly and clearly, don't cough alot.

-if its not in stock, try another vendor...with the same sentence.
Hmmmmmm....How about I did?...I did ask when I would be seeing the parts, they told me it would be a week...It was 5 times longer... :roll: I deal with parts venders for a living, I work at a Toyota dealership as a parts counterperson...I'm pretty familier on customer service and how to deal with venders getting special order parts...Bascially I was majorly mis-informed on the parts and when I would recieve them...

NO offense inteded, but on a side note, you said, "customer service nowadays sucks EVERYWHERE", but you don't help by giving nothing back to your customer who wasn't satified with her breakfast, pool etc...I think BAT have your mentality, they dont care about what springs they sell me, just that I'm buying them and after I've bought them it was a different story...
*Bilsteins, MC2 250# coil overs front, 600# rear, BAT sway bars, full 3" exh, Gillis valve, K&N, MC2 Diff mount and bushings, 17x7 Team Dynamics Monza's, 225/45-17's, Eaton Posi, RS500 (clone) intercooler/radiator, Forge BOV and LA computer and big VAM...
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

Spektor-- there's more to the story than price. mc2racing have a great tech article feature on their site, and a lot of info in their product descriptions. It would behoove you to read-- well, pretty much everything the site contains![/quote]
Maybe yes and maybe no since I've had no dealings with Mc2 I can't really say anything but the price was lower. I didn't find out about them till after I bought springs and struts and shocks from bat. 9 months later to be exact. While I did find the information interesting on their site, I can only base my opinion on price, since I haven't bought their products.
ANd Black94 5.0 I do agree that just asking doesn't mean sh*t/ just ment it helps with the honest ones. Since I also asked and it was atleast a week or 2 over what they had said now that I remember.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Can I stop now I'm broke.