New to XR4Ti *pics*

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan » Wed May 17, 2006 3:48 pm

i think it sounds like fun.
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan

Manawski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Manawski » Wed May 17, 2006 3:59 pm

John Brennan wrote:As I understand, a gas tank that's "empty" is even more dangerous than one that's full, in terms of explosion risks.
Confirmed, Gasoline vapors are worse than the liquid itself, think like when you throw flour into a fire. If you throw a bag of flour in there it'll burn but slowly, but if you take a handful and toss it in the flames, it explodes since the surface area of the particles is much greater with respect to the oxygen in the air. See also : coal dust

merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac » Wed May 17, 2006 4:54 pm

My XR sat in a Ft. Worth driveway for an unknown amount of time. Well, it also sat in a Sugar Land TX driveway for two years. All this time, it sat with about 5 gallons of ranque fuel in it. The gas was cool, it served as a protectant for the metal. Above the waterline (or gas line as the case was) it was all rusty. The skank varnish deposits did not help it out.

I dropped the tank and found the fuel level sender to be the rusted into one piece kind. I drained the tank, and let me tell you, getting rid of 5 gallons of really questionable gas ain't easy. I took it to a car wash and blasted the inside with the soapy pressure washer. It turns out that the owner was there and he wasn't happy. "How much gas was in that thing ?"..... "about a cup full ." That was the truth, as I didn't want to drive around with a half full gas tank in my trunk either.

I used the POR-15 fuel tank system and i am very happy with the results. Behold some pics of the inside of my gas tank....

merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac » Wed May 17, 2006 4:58 pm

also, the old and new sender side by side:

Another pic showing the baffles.

merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac » Wed May 17, 2006 5:02 pm

BTW, I strained alot of the gas thru several coffee filters and burned it in my car chrysler, along with topping it off with super and two bottles of cheap ass fuel inj cleaner.

Some, I burned in my lawnboy mower. Even the smoke from that thing stunk. Some evaporated..... I mixed a tiny bit with my motor oil, but that was super obvious and was not going to be aproper way to get rid of it. I don't own any carburetted POS cars, so getting rid of it was a royal pain. The lawnmower repair dude complained that he thought it killed my lawnmower, and yes, I added the 2 stroke oil.

zerosohc

Post by zerosohc » Wed May 17, 2006 5:32 pm

Sounds like this is gonna be a great project for me =) . I wonder if the fuel lines are going to be brittle and possibly break. I had an old Honda that we changed the fuel pump in and one of the lines ended up breaking.