RS500 intercooler

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

.............or you could drop the rad a bit and do a top mount Cossie RS IC. I did & it seems to do the job.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

That would be the old Modern Performance kit.
JediTalen wrote:BAT sells a unit that mounts parallel to the ground in front of the steering crossmember, it uses the natural flow of the engine compartment to draw air through you wouldn't have to change any of your radiator/ac stuff at all for this one.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

svo855 wrote:
John Brennan wrote:Did you catch the part where he said he's "not looking to make huge power"? There are other priorities in play here. The 900 flows well, and moreover is compact and highly adaptable to space-limited mountings.

Sometimes, a smaller core mounted properly and fed high-pressure air is as good or better than a big one mounted less than ideally.
I said that I was not shooting for a small power number. 430-470 hp at the wheels is about what I want. I have a dyno only air to water setup now but now this car has to be road worthy. I will just buy an RS500 style IC from across the pond and I will make it work.

My goal was to find something off the shelf so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Damn these cars; why does everything with them have to be a fight?
for 430-470 WHP you're gonna have to do a heckuva lot better than a saab 900 'cooler.
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

500hp and AC?
That's gonna be a pretty tall task.
Good luck! No smaller intercooler you can shove in there that I know of will suport 500hp.
Oh, and 500hp off the shelf isn't gonna happen easily either (or even remotely cheaply) :roll:
Last edited by SARON81 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

svo855 wrote: My goal was to find something off the shelf so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Damn these cars; why does everything with them have to be a fight?
There are no off the shelf parts for a small-niche car that hasn't been made in almost 20 years? No way. :roll:
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
svo855
Level 2
Level 2

Post by svo855 »

SARON81 wrote:500hp and AC?
That's gonna be a pretty tall task.
Good luck! No smaller intercooler you can shove in there that I know of will suport 500hp.
Oh, and 500hp off the shelf isn't gonna happen easily either (or even remotely cheaply) :roll:

Big power and ac go together very well. Detroit does it and so do the Germans. Making power (the car has put down 457rwhp) is not a problem for me as I did it for a living for many years. Getting everything else right is what kicks my ass.
William P Copeland
Insane Ford 2300 & rotary engine freak