driveshaft question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
grannycar

driveshaft question

Post by grannycar »

hey i just got a full driveshaft with center support bearing and new guibo most importantly. i cant seem to find the trick to getting the driveshaft up and in. its either the front is alright and in, or the rear. i cant seem to find a way to get them both bolted up and the center support bearing bolted in all at the same time. please help!!!!!!
86 xr4ti work in progress
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Is your car a 5 speed or auto?
Did you get the right driveshaft???
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Can't sleep, Ian? :o
Is that driveshaft sliding back and forth on the output shaft? It should move back and forth a bit. I dunk the end of the driveshaft in grease... A better description of what's not lining up might help!
Mike.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

are you trying to slide it in with the guibo already installed? if so, take it off, then you can slide everything where it needs to go easily and put the guibo back in.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

The guibo, especially if it is new, needs to go into place with the tensioning band on, and only then have it removed. The whole shebang should be reomoveable and replaceable in one piece-- have done it many times.

Slip the yoke as far as it will go into the extension housing (ooh, baby), then go to the back end and 'tack' your diff flange into place. You should have scribed a mark on the flange and diff so that they go back together in the (hopefully) balanced original location. Then do the same for the CSB, making sure your spacers are in the exact same order they came off on, and torque everything up. If there's a problem, you may have the wrong shaft as Ian said.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
grannycar

Post by grannycar »

ohhh i guess the automatica came in different lengths. the guy had told me it was a 5 speed driveshaft but i guess he was wrong, swapped guibo over to my driveshaft and it fit fine thanks for the help
86 xr4ti work in progress