TRE Performance 255lph

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

TRE Performance 255lph

Post by mikerobison »

Has anyone tried their fuel pumps? They sell a "225lph Walbro knock off" I just bought one thinking I would give her a try.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

From Turboford threads...it was concluded that they are not great quality, not enough to offset any saving...I think Anglin here seel a kit...get the real deal from them or a parts store. It's imprtant at boost...why take chances.
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

It was concluded but as I remember (I started A thread on them on that forum...) no one really had any solid proof that they were crap. Mainly a bunch of hearsay. Since no one could provide solid data I bought a real deal Walbro that I ended up not using anyways! :lol:
:)
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I'm assuming it's one of those Chineese Walbro knock-offs. I wouldn't buy it just on the general principle of prefering not to do business with known criminals.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

I wouldn't buy one just because of their fraudulent advertising.
But that's just me.
Another thought... After going to all the trouble to install it, IF it fails, there's no savings. Then there's the peace of mind thing. I kinda think that we as Merkur owners have enough to worry about...
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

The real Walbro's aren't that expensive.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

Yeah it's pretty certain that these are reverse engineered Wallbros. However I never found anything on the TRE Performance website or ebay ads that stated they REAL deal Walbros.

There are FAKE walbros with the logo and part numbers stamped on the units and everything, but these are not it.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

??

Post by Mike McCreight »

WALBRO 255 LPH FUEL PUMP Ford Merkur XR4Ti 2.3L Turbo
cut/n/paste of their item description. :?
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

I bought one anyway, not with the thought of savings in mind. If you click on the link they quick like disabuse you of the notion they are real walbros, they also tout the fact they are much quieter. Looks like I am going to be the test dummy!
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Sweet... let us know how it turns out... Walbros have a pretty terrible reputation for reliability and cost amongst the Saab folks, so I'd be interested to hear how a cheap knock off compares... It may not be tangibly worse! :)
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Walbros have a pretty terrible reputation for reliability and cost amongst the Saab folks
I haven't heard of a single Merkur owner having a problem with their Walbro. Of the hundreds of pumps I've sold, only one buyer has stated that their pump malfunctioned. I'm under the impression that the installation was not correct in that case though, but of course I could be wrong. I just know there has been no mention of the problem since the concern was raised, which leads me to believe that something was figured out. I know if my pump was bad I would definitely seek the warranty swap-out.
As for noise, to the best of my knowledge only Richard Thompson seems to have received a noisy Walbro pump. He went through a huge effort to quiet it down, concluding with the installation of a "jacket". This seems foreign to me though, as I can only hear the Walbros prime up in my two XRs, and I have a stripped interior in one of them.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

It's not a noise or performance issue, it's a lifespan issue.

Folks are replacing their Walbros at ~120k, which if you're a Saab owner sucks. The old two-part Bosch pumps would generally see almost 200k before needing attention, and that was usually only the pre-pump which is a cheap item. Having to fork over $200+ for a new Walbro at 120k when you're used to replacing an $80 Bosch at 200k kinda sucks...

I suspect the vast majority of XR4Tis that have this pump haven't seen the same type of mileage as a 10+ year old, daily-driven Saab...

But, who knows? The "universal" 255lph Walbro may be radically different than the OEM whatever lph unit in a Saab... I'm simply stating from my perspective, Walbro does not mean inherent quality anymore than a TRE knockoff means inherent garbage...

BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

120k out of a fuel pump is pretty good and nothing to complain about in my opinion. I just changed out the $500 fuel pump in my truck and it's got 80k. It wasn't bad, but that's when GM pumps tend to go, and I was dropping the tank anyway. I realize that's a crappy example, but 120k does not mean it's unreliabile.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
salukixr4ti
Level 3
Level 3

Cheap XR owners

Post by salukixr4ti »

I've also noticed over the years how people try to hop the cars up with performance parts, don't want to pay much, and generally look to cheap out. Not saying everybody, by any means, but I've got a very good relationship with most of the vendors out there, and they relay comical, but sad stories about this all the time. The cars deserve better. It's getting worse too.
This ain't no disco...It's Wichita.
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

I work in the automotive industry.... Cars 1959 and older. I know exactly what you mean about people harming their car with inferior parts. Happens all the time in many show cars, daily drivers and "performance cars". People never think of the long run all they can see is the couple bucks forked out now! I totally understand going with the tried and true... why take the risk? As it appears to me no one has had any experience with this new pump, so how could it be a bad thing? Maybe it is better than a Walbro.