t-4

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
pupsxr
Level 1
Level 1

t-4

Post by pupsxr »

other than me,who runs a t-4 on a 2.3 or stroked 2.3--just installed my pe computer @ 13 deg. with knock sensor still plugged in and still running into my same problem at 5000 rpm with the timing adjustment...???? please someone read my post of ''timing adjustment @ 5 grand''help before it gets a v8--starting to feel like money wasted,noone to help locally-lots of clubbers dig it and are trying to help but no-one who has modded a 2.3-this group has helped alot so far,but not alot of posts lately as i moved from t.o. back to thunder bay ont.and up at the mine for like 8 weeks straight-flying home tonight and with a 2000sqft. shop at home-pls. help the merkur madness continue!!!
too much to say.....it never ends:)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

PE should be at 10*. Unplug the KS.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

What is the actual problem? :dunno
Brad
yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit »

I wanna know how he got his t4 turbo to bolt up to the later style ported exhaust manifold, aren't t3 and t4 flanges totally different?

I was under the silly impression you had to have a custom header if you wanted to go to a t4. :shock:
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

your right it was a silly impression. I have a T4 off a truck that slides right on in place of my t3. It was actually on a 2.0 pinto a while back. I also have a couple blown up semi t4s they have a bigger flange although they have the same looking opening just looks like it spreads the load over a wider area. It looks to be the exact dimensions of a t3 except for the divider for the turbine. I'll have to take some pics when i get back home this weekend.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Stealth_xr wrote:I'll have to take some pics when i get back home this weekend.
Please do. It would be the first T4 turbine housing in the history of mankind that has a T3 bolt pattern. Might be worth millions! :mrgreen:
Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Stealth_xr wrote:I'll have to take some pics when i get back home this weekend.
Please do. It would be the first T4 turbine housing in the history of mankind that has a T3 bolt pattern. Might be worth millions! :mrgreen:
It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.... Saab had a bunch of Mitsubishi TE05s built with a T3 flange. There is no reason some manufacturer out there could have asked Garrett to crank out some T4s like that.

Which would be odd, I admit, but not impossible.
Last edited by thesameguy on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

Then it would be a T3/T4, not a straight T4. :roll:
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
pupsxr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pupsxr »

well it more a t3 ex housing machined to accept a t4 wheel--t4 comp. wheel and housing-so all t4 but t3 housing wioth t4 guts
-10 deg. it is and ill unplug the knock and keep u posted
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

pupsxr wrote:well it more a t3 ex housing machined to accept a t4 wheel--
I was gonna mention that's probably what you have, but I was having too much fun with my sarcastic response instead. :D

Still not sure if I understand what the initial question is - we seem to have gone off more in the direction of the subject heading any way. :dunno
Brad
2point3turbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2point3turbo »

Who here actually runs around 10-13 deg anymore? Uneducated I guess! The 2.3 runs best at 16-18 deg. Less detonation that way. Try it and you shall see.
flylear45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by flylear45 »

2point3turbo wrote:Who here actually runs around 10-13 deg anymore? Uneducated I guess! The 2.3 runs best at 16-18 deg. Less detonation that way. Try it and you shall see.
Yeah, the holes in the pistons lower the compression so you get less knock. :roll:
Jim Franks

Merkur-less for now
member of the Bowling-Grippo fan club
2.3 turbo TR7 http://home.roadrunner.com/~jimmble/
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

flylear45 wrote:
2point3turbo wrote:Who here actually runs around 10-13 deg anymore? Uneducated I guess! The 2.3 runs best at 16-18 deg. Less detonation that way. Try it and you shall see.
Yeah, the holes in the pistons lower the compression so you get less knock. :roll:
:withstupid Yea, that's the new mod all the kidz are doing these days! We all know that air-flow is what it's all about Jim, so why not increase the air-flow THROUGH the piston, for the ultimate in power production! :headbang Yo, forget about 16-18 degrees, I'm going right on up to 25 and get my pistons ventilated before the lights even turn green! :headbang
Brad
2point3turbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2point3turbo »

Is this the only site you are all looking at? I guess the Pinto turbo guys are a little more knowledgeable in this field. I dont want to sound harsh but many of the racing 2.3T guys are running 14-18 and all have found better performance and less detonation. I admit I may seem be a bit on the wild side about this one but I am right. I have been running 17 on all three of my XR's and on my turbo Pinto and have yet to hurt the engine in any way. I do have them all intercooled and bigger injectors and that makes a difference but do some research on some other sites and you will see I am not the only one out there using this setting. Knock me all you want but I dont have 278hp without NOS for no reason. Its all in tuning your car right and putting on the right parts to match. Have fun with this post.... I know you will. Ignorance is bliss!
pupsxr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pupsxr »

so 2point3turbo!-what are you running for an ecu,injectors,vam,cam,and what behavioral changes did you get from running 17* as apposed to 10 or 13*? i guess i am unedumicated but what do the jabs have to do with the problem?