OIL GEYSER... HELP..

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
MERKUR IN CALI

OIL GEYSER... HELP..

Post by MERKUR IN CALI »

I've got oil spraying out of the motor somewhere but can't find where. It is coming from somewhwre behind the upper intake, sort of around the dip-stick area, but I'm pretty sure that it's not the dip-stick that is causing it. It only seems to happen with the motor under a load. Also my idle is a little high and when i pulled the dipstick out while the car was running it dropped the idle almoct 1000 rpm, this seems like it would be to much, is that normal? Any help with either of these problems would be awesome
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

The oil leak is probably the Turbo feed line. The line is at the back RH corner of the block and runs behind the engine between the firewall and the head and threads into the turbo. It is a bugger to replace. The steel hard line, work hardens and cracks. A lot of people replace the steel line with a flexible steel hose.
cooperl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cooperl »

PCV valve fails -> boost pressurizes crankcase and blows oil out dipstick tube all over the engine compartment. Oil and hot turbine housings don't mix well :shock:. I had the same problem and had to tear out the soaked hood padding. Big oil puddle on the lower intake. I'm still cleaning up oil everytime I take something apart so...

If you haven't replaced the PCV valve in a while then get that taken care of. Make sure you use the motorcraft part (can get it from forced4). I did mine and it fixed my idle problems too. I also put an extra check valve in series for added protection.
d red1

Post by d red1 »

Clean-up everything behind the intake really well so there is no oil. Let the motor run for a few minutes or so and then check to see if there is oil on the bottom of the oil supply line where it connects to the head/pressure sensor. If there is then the oil line is cracked and thats your problem. If not, take it for a short ride and get into boost a couple of times. Check the engine bay again, if there is oil everywhere then it is coming out of your dipstick. Best case is that the pcv valve is bad (chaange it and repeat the test), worst case is your rings are shot.
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

I'll almost guarantee that it's the turbo feed line. That is exactly where my gusher was, and it's a super common failure point on these cars. It is located below the dipstick on the engine block with the oil sensor sticking out the end. I know it seems unlikely that it would suddenly start gushing (and I mean absolutely gushing) from there, but it just does.

To verify, clean it up with some brake cleaner, let it dry, and then start it up. If you can't see it, turn off the car and reach down there. You should be able to put your hand down there to feel the oil. If it is the feed line, I totally recommend http://www.maxpsiracing.com/ for braided stainless lines, or contact John V. at JVAB Imports about his very economical replacement.
dhraakoxr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhraakoxr »

stainless steel line all the way .. I just finished replacing my gushing oil feed line.

Just a tiny almost invisible crack and half my engine was coated and I went through 4 liters of oil in 2 days.

http://xr4ti.wordpress.com

85 XR4Ti: Crower Rods, CP Pistons, 1.5 Bo-Port Cam, Stinger Header, HX35, T5'd, Turbo back 3" Exhaust, Koni coilies (350/750's), LA2/LargeVAM, MC2 Diff Mount, Merkurdriver's IC/Rad, ChuckW Motor Mounts, Ported and Polished everything.
MERKUR IN CALI

Post by MERKUR IN CALI »

It sounds totally resonable for this to spring up. I got the merk about three weeks ago and it ran horrible. Did a tune-up (plugs, wires,cap, ect.) and pulled the exhaust off and replaced it with a 3 inch system it ran great but started blowing oil. I'm gonna check these sugestions and i'll post what i find. thanks again, you guys are awesome
amandacarterisobese
Level 2
Level 2

Post by amandacarterisobese »

At one point I had a similar leak coming from my oil pressure switch/sender.
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

Ditto. I replaced this a while back.

amandacarterisobese wrote:At one point I had a similar leak coming from my oil pressure switch/sender.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

A very quick test for the dipstick.... put an old paper towel tube (or TP tube) over the top of the dipstick, and take it for a good hard ride. If its leaking out the dipstick the INSIDE of the tube will be soaked. If the tube is soaked on the OUTSIDE, then it's elsewhere. If it's drenched on both sides, re-test, drive softer. I had a valve cover breather plug that caused that symptom. The previosu owner wrapped the VC breather in tape so it would fit the rubber grommet tigheter. The tape creeped and plugged the breather. Good luck! :)
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

Unless theres an obvious leak at idle.I'd definately make sure that you have a proper pcv valve. I completely forgot about that when i went to put a fresh one in and i had a mysterious oil leak in the same area that usually occured with boost. I wrapped everything with papertowels went on a hard ride and lucky enough the paper towels didn't let the dipstick fall back in place.
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

yah thats the sick part... under boost it lifted up just enough to spray oil everywhere and after i'd pull over to check it fell back in place leaving only the oil and no obvious evidence of its crime