cossie wing installation

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

cossie wing installation

Post by xrattiracer »

Ok so I have this replica RS Cosworth wing (not RS500) that I am getting prepped to install. I am not completely sure exactly where it should be located front to back, and am looking for ideas on mounting points and hardware.
I am guessing that the back of the main pedestal should line up with the crease in the rear of the hatch (about 1.5" forward of the back lip), can anyone confirm/deny this?
for anyone that has installed a fiberglass replica wing, how have you attached it to the hatch? I was planning on trying to attach it through the bottom only, to avoid having to worry about covering up fasteners on the top, but im not so sure this will work now (for the sides anyway). Ive removed all the factory wing threaded inserts, as 3 had to be drilled out anyway.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

So nobody on this board has a cossie wing? I find that hard to believe...
Just some close up pictures of the mounting points would be a big help.
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

Cossie Wing

Post by John R. Rowlands »

xrattiracer,

I believe that Chris Anglin posted some pictures of his attempt to install the wing. Check the picture section.

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

looked through the 5 page thread there, and a few others, and didnt see anything. will keep looking i guess.
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

I have a real wing and brackets. But I have not mounted any of it yet. What are you looking for? Mounting or placement.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Post by richardcurtis »

FWIW, I have the RS500 replica rear wing. For mounting, I inserted an all-thread bolt into the side mounts, and a nut-sert on the center post. You'll need some help positioning the wing to mark the spots where you'll need to drill through the hatch. I mounted mine so that the wing surface was tilted up ever so slightly (not more than a few degrees). That seemed (a) to make sense for any downforce advantage (although I've not actually SEEN any advantage but then again I don't drive it a high-enough speeds to make any difference); and (b) it just looked "right" there.

The bolts only need to be long enough to go through the hatch (which is almost-paper thin) so that you can attached nuts from the bottom side. For the centerpost, I use a socket-head screw.

Be careful drilling through the hatch on the sides. The hatch lifts live under there and they're pressurized (don't ask me how i know).
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

I am mostly interested in placement, I can figure out attachment, tho ideas are welcome.
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Best bet is to just line it up where it lays best. Don't let the pedestal guide you - mine was about 2" short. Damn after-market fiberglass crap! :x Did I mention that I cracked it when tightening the bolts? :evil:
Brad
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

yeah, i really am not impressed with the quality of the fiberglass parts, especially considering their price. apparently it is too much to ask to have them leave the gelcoat flashing on and let me worry about it, rather than them using 36 grit on a grinder to remove it.
needless to say i wont be buying anymore fiberglass pieces.
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

I have a xr here in Spokane with the cossie wing installed. If you would like to see it in person let me know.
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

yeah actually i would, i havent seen your car yet anyway :)
sending a pm...
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
pyropete125
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pyropete125 »

i think fastmaul has some good pucs of where it goes on the hatch.

pete
89 xr4ti, LOTS'O'MODS. PICS OF MY XR, FOLVO STUFF, AND...