High Test Gas or Regular?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Baldy_54
Level 2
Level 2

High Test Gas or Regular?

Post by Baldy_54 »

Is the XR able to run on regular gas if it is tuned for it? Just as an every other day car would it be okay to de-tune it? Just by changing the dist. advance.
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

Others will say no, but I have one XR I de-tuned 1 degree timing and limit boost to 10psi. I ran 87 octane and got a little knock. I now run 89 and no issues. Again, some call me stupid.
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

If you keep it at 9psi, or just disconnect the wastegate rod for NO boost, you should be ok. it'll be a dog though.
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

You can run low octane fuel with the turbo is working order, and dist. in stock timing, just don't drive like a flippin maniac. Keep your right foot off the throttle and not buried into the floorboards.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

mikerobison wrote:You can run low octane fuel with the turbo is working order, and dist. in stock timing, just don't drive like a flippin maniac. Keep your right foot off the throttle and not buried into the floorboards.
LOL! this is very true...However, boost being more addictive than cocaine, crack, crank, meth, sex...etc...well...it's not always practical.

I should develope and market....Boost-erette GUM....yeah...that's the ticket. Give's you the SENSATION of 20psi boost even while driving a Yaris.
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

My stock-engined '86 runs fine at 8psi on 87. I don't get any knock even under hard acceleration...
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Post by richardcurtis »

If you drive, say, 10,000 miles a year, and you average, say, 20 mpg., and let's say for the sake of discussion that the difference in price between 87 octane and 93 octane is 26 cents a gallon, you'll save $130 a year.
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Yeah, but what if the price difference is 27 cents per gallon? Think of all the PBR you'd be able to buy with the savings.

I'm just saying...
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

...now, with the cost of fuel being so high so the difference in percentage of cost being so low...

enjoy the car.

run the premium fuel.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Baldy_54
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Baldy_54 »

Ray, you are right, since I am using Historic Tags, and limited to 5,000 miles per year what difference does it make. NONE
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

dont assume that you will get the same mpg on both flavors. i would bet that youll get less mpg with the lower octane fuel, offsetting the savings to some extent.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

How much money do you think you will save over a year? If you have good driving habits, then this would not be a problem. To me. I dose not matter weather you have a honda or a merkur. Driving habit dictate gas consumtion. You can get up to 25 to 30 mpg with a good stock tuned XR. Well good luck on you work.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
thrashperformance
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thrashperformance »

LOL! this is very true...However, boost being more addictive than cocaine, crack, crank, meth, sex...etc...well...it's not always practical.

I should develope and market....Boost-erette GUM....yeah...that's the ticket. Give's you the SENSATION of 20psi boost even while driving a Yaris.[/quote]

i am not addicted to the boost, i can quit any time i want to :lol:
jake nawrocki

1 cor 9:24

"if its not broke, i can problably still fix it"-tim allen
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

i ran this experiment with my saab 900 turbo. i adjusted the stock boost controller all the way down to basic boost (5pai) and filled up with 87. it ran fine. i took it on a 200 mile highway trip. then the next day i filled up with 93 and cranked the boost up to about 18 or 19 psi. i took it on a 200 mile highway trip. after wards i calculated gas mileage and figured out cost per mile based on the mileage and cost of gas for each test. what i found was that on 87 with 5psi of boost, the car got such crappy gas mileage that it was actually MUCH cheaper to run at high boost with 93 octane gas.

so all of you that are thinking that you can turn the boost down and drive for cheap on 87 octane, you are just fooling yourselves. a turbo motor running basically in NA mode will make such little power that you will get much worse gas mileage.
ian the re-animator
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

In two decades and a quarter of a million miles, I've never run anything but the best Premium I could get in any of my Merkurs and never would.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles