XR4ti on the track again: 24 Hours of Lemons NOW WITH PICS!

Discussion of track events (road and drag strip), that Merkurs may participate in.
Merkur Club web site
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

XR4ti on the track again: 24 Hours of Lemons NOW WITH PICS!

Post by drdanteiii »

THe Roto-Racer's XR4ti will again hit the track at New Jersey motorsport park for a weekend of wheel to wheel racing against the worst cars racing has to offer.
We have a garage near the timing tower. Come by and say hi. Watch the mayhem that is Lemons. Check out or back woods engineered 89 xr4ti (now featuring more grip... :))
Last edited by drdanteiii on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hacking an XR4ti in hopes of Lemons glory...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: XR4ti on the track again: 24 Hours of Lemons New Jersey

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Just so you don't have to look it up....

Race Weekend: 10-11 August 2013
Brad
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drdanteiii »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Just so you don't have to look it up....

Race Weekend: 10-11 August 2013
Oops, I forgot to include that. sorry
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drdanteiii »

This weekend!
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

:thumb If you have a chance post some (a lot) pics please, videos will be even better :wink: :D :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drdanteiii »

summary of the race:

Arrived Friday at around 8 am to take advantage of practice day. Got our paperwork set up and our garage populated.

Had our first driver run 10 laps at a moderate pace to bed in the new clutch and warm up the new BFG rivals. Once we came in, we swapped back to our BBS style rims with our 2 race veteran primewell PZ900's for the rest of practice day. Before heading out on track we hit the LeMons tech and BS inspection, where we received class B and 0 penalty laps, which has been our lot in life for all 3 races. We were happy, since we have been pretty competitive in class b, and were looking for a B podium in this race... silly us... We ran the rest of the practice session to test out our new gauges, and our cool-shirt system. Everything went well, and we got all the bugs worked out of the cool shirt. track went cold at 5 pm, and then we drank beer until 1am like it was our job.

Saturday
We got our first driver belted up and line up for track entrance early. We were the 11 car on the track, which was good since that driver missed Friday practice, and we wanted to let him get some pace laps to see the track before going green. One the Green flew we started making pretty good time. Our starting position was around 75(overall), and by our first driver change we were up to 61st. We put our second driver in (my 59 year old dad), and he headed out on the track. About 15 minutes in he complained that the cool shirt wasn't working, and he was going to have to come in soon since he was getting overheated. We scrambled to get our next driver ready, and about 4 laps later performed the driver change, and re-primed the cool shirt system.
This driver then headed back out on the track and started gaining places, and set what would be our fastest lap for the weekend. After setting that lap, he got into a d!ck measuring contest with a class A BMW on the front straight, overshot the braking zone, locked the tires, and flat-spotted our new tires. A few laps after that, he spun all 4 off into the grass, and got called in for a penalty. 2.5 hours into day one and we had already racked up 2 black flags. I made a deal with the judges that he would forego our penalty now, in exchange for a super heinous penalty if they saw us again. He released us from the penalty box, only to find that upon restart, our Merkur was p!ssing oil at a rate that would make the Exxon Valdez and the BP deepwater horizon teams jealous.
We pulled back into our garage, and opened the hood to find the oil fitting that feeds the turbo, where we have t'd off to get our oil pressure sender connected was spraying oil. After removing the EGR valve we got our sender off, and found that the pipe nipple we used to tie in had cracked in a big way. Chinese cast iron pipe fittings just ain't what they used to be. After McGuyvering that POS out of there, we replaced the factory oil pressure sensor, topped off the missing 2 qts of 15-40, and got our next driver (me) out on the track. by this time we has lost an hour, and were down to 96th overall.
The rest of the day went well, and we ran strong, but unremarkable laps, moving us back up to 72nd.

We then drank beer and ate pork products like it was an edict from god himself. Also, the Alfa Romeo team made a spaghetti dinner for everyone who stopped by their trailer. Chianti, garlic bread, salad, the works. it was fantastic. I think I also got a ride in the back of the roll royce with a rather surprised looking blow up doll. :headbang

Sunday:
I got up at 6am, and after a shower, a couple of Gatorades, a hand full of Advil and a cup of coffee later, I started prepping the car.
We got my dad in first, confirmed cool shirt operation, and sent him out. He ran an hour of solid consistent laps after the green, except 3 laps in he got a penalty for contact with the black Toyota solara. Luckily the judges were too hung over to think of anything good for a penalty, had me give him an awkward talking too, and sent him back out.
After that I got into the car. I ran an hour and a half, solid lap, a few epic saves from spins, and I hunted down and lapped a certain bmw that was well matched to our car. On an open track, he would have walked away, but with all that traffic, my 13 years of Jersey driving had equipped me to deal with high rates of speed and drivers who think the whole f'in road belong to them. It was weird to be doing it without a cell phone and a latte though. :D
Then I came in, we tossed 10 gallons of the finest premium fuel that the local convience store had to offer, and we sent our next driver out. About 20 minutes into his stint, he complained that something was wrong, which was evident from smoke coming from the car, the likes of which hasn’t been seen since the firebombing of Dresden. WE pulled the car in and found oil all over the engine compartment, a cracked radiator, and a car the barely ran. With only 2.5 hours left for the day, we packed it in a headed home. Before we left the track we were in 66th, which was nice, because that’s our car number.
death:

So now the Merkur sits in my buddy’s field, awaiting a new radiator, headgasket, and future glory.

Galleries: (not mine)
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LNJ13/LNJ13.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/100264142@ ... 067665815/
http://www.ronman.org/pics/lemons/nj13/1/

Pics:

NOTABLE CARS:
upside down camaro:
rolls royce
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Re: XR4ti on the track again: 24 Hours of Lemons NOW WITH PI

Post by drdanteiii »

I almost forgot this guy...

Our junkyard SAAB radiator it what failed and killed us.

This is what we found that night when we tried to drain the plain water and refill with antifreeze