New England, CT owners?

Discussion of events in the Northeast, roughly defined as Washington D.C to Eastern Canada
Merkur Club web site
BlackCat22
Level 1
Level 1

New England, CT owners?

Post by BlackCat22 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:08 pm

I've looked around, i know there's a regional forum(populated, apparently, with mostly small chirpy frogs and crickets)but i wanted to see if i could call out some new englanders, and maybe some nutmegers, I'm still new to my car, and i'm damn proud of it(I've wanted one for years, passed up many due to rust, found one dirt cheap on CL :D ) I happen to be up in the happy fun corner of CT(NW). I saw w hartford and alot of "CT". I've seen a few around, i'd love to actually meet some owners and get some tips :)

Scott

smoke3006
Level 4
Level 4

Post by smoke3006 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:54 am

Off the top of my head theres:
Myself (NE)
Demonfire (NE)
Pyropete (SW)
Shigma (NW) - assuming he didn't sell his XR
Xr4kid (NE?)
dcvilla (NW)

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.
sam
'86 Regency Red Metallic XR4Ti -Blood Monkey

Cure your fever:
http://www.morecowbell.dj/

BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:19 am

I'm in Central MA.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.

BlackCat22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackCat22 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Wow, pretty high turnout :D
Well, today I noticed the wheelbearing going out on me, so no cross state trips till i get that fixed, but i'd love to see some other ones, probably alot nicer then mine at that lol I'm only held back by my lack of work, and thereby, funds. so no fun stuff for awhile, keep it rolling as a DD until i get some cash together, maybe i'll start on the bodywork. so with that, i give some pics

glory shot!

and a very dirty engine bay

AnHonestCitizen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AnHonestCitizen » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:06 pm

I live in DC, but New Haven is my hometown. I consider myself a CT Merkurista in absentia, as it were. I still have family in New Haven, so most holidays the CT Merkur population grows by at least one.

dcvilla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dcvilla » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Reply to BlackCat22

WHATEVER you need to keep that fine red xr on the road, just let me know,I,m 10 miles north of you and the last chance garage is at your disposal.--dcvilla

BlackCat22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackCat22 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 pm

dcvilla: I sent ya a pm, wondering if i'm thinking of the right place! :D I love the community, it's one of the few out there where you're not treated like a moron when you're new, of course, ask most people if they know what a merkur is and they just look at you funny. :D I love the car, i'm very angry at my wheelbearing right now lol. I'm glad to see there's a following in state, my neighbor got me thinking after going to limerock a few weeks back to camp and he saw a few on the track there, and having seen a few around(and many i didn't buy, most where rotten, ahhh, new england)that there's got to be some locally :)

Scott

Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:16 am

smoke3006 wrote:

Count me in on that list AND for buying shigma's old XR. thing runs so much faster now. although he now has an LS1 trans am apparently making 400 rwhp on juice so im sure he's not missing the XR TOO much, haha.
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.

smoke3006
Level 4
Level 4

Post by smoke3006 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:48 am

Spaldino wrote:
smoke3006 wrote:

Count me in on that list AND for buying shigma's old XR. thing runs so much faster now. although he now has an LS1 trans am apparently making 400 rwhp on juice so im sure he's not missing the XR TOO much, haha.
I bought my '86 from him too :)
sam

Cure your fever:

BlackCat22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackCat22 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:44 am

Wow, everyone knows everyone around here :D I know no one :( I wanna know everyone :D I'm glad i finally got my XR after years of looking, chance pickup in Storrs for $500, which made it the cheapest, and best condition XR I had looked at to buy in 8 years of looking. Proud of my car, even if there are things wrong with it :)
Anywho, for anyone who's local and would like to meet up(I have a wheelbearing that's going at the moment, so i won't be going too far until that's fixed)you can contact me any time, i'm a sponge, i'll eat up any conversation on just about anything.

smoke: you goto bristoldyno? I was wondering how they were, let me know :)

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:40 am

so YOU got the car from storrs! i went to take a look at it but it was sold already.

sam (smoke) and i know each other (we live fairly close), and i think i've met a lot of the other merkur CT people.

nice folks.

bristol dyno is awesome, btw. only place i go. only place sam goes, too.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

BlackCat22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackCat22 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:59 am

demonfire: I didn't think it was going to be a good car to be honest, it was a nice fall day for a drive was all i thought, till i got there and looked it over ;) Still running rough, but i can blame that mostly on my lack of bank, parts and tools XD But it is alot better then when i got it, had a hard time keeping it running, and alot of duct tape fixes on vacuum hose on the way back from storrs. I'm only the third owner, the kid took pretty good care of it, but it was parked for some time, and he had refused to sell the car to anyone looking for a beater for $500, even though he wasn't very knowlagable on cars, he knew he had something special :) I keep in touch with him occasionally, other then alot of tune-up and minor replacements(timing belt/water pump where done not even two weeks ago, i missed my car for a whole day :( ) it's still a bit ugly, faded paint, but only surface rust and some dings. But for the time being she sits in the driveway unless i need to go anywhere, i have dirt, and not so many tools as i used to have, so i'm pretty much stuck either paying for someone else to put the bearing in, or wait and see if one of my buddys can clean up his garage sometime soon.

smoke3006
Level 4
Level 4

Post by smoke3006 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:56 pm

BlackCat22 wrote: smoke: you goto bristoldyno? I was wondering how they were, let me know :)
Bristol Dyno is great and Jon (the guy who owns it) is awesome too.
Best dyno pricing by far.
Soon I'll be needing to take my car over there to test and tune (timing mostly). Maybe some people would want to meet there?
sam

Cure your fever:

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:01 pm

BlackCat22 wrote:, so i'm pretty much stuck either paying for someone else to put the bearing in, or wait and see if one of my buddys can clean up his garage sometime soon.
which bearing is it?

if you have enough jackstands, pull all the hubs / spindles off and bring them to a shop, shouldn't be too bad to do there. i'd do them here but i dont have a press. in all honesty, they're not that bad to do.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

BlackCat22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackCat22 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:14 pm

I know it's not so bad, i've done WAY too many wheel bearings in my career as a car owner/mechanic XD my main problem is i sold off almost all my tools years ago(heavy debt, student loans suck)and i have an uneven dirt driveway, otherwise i would have had it done almost a week ago :\ Hence waiting for my buddy to clean out his garage, but at the rate it's going i might just have a shop i goto do it (I get the parts cheap, they give me a huge discount on labor). Still, i'll be moving in the spring, looking to get a place with at least a paved parking area. Then all the fun in the world can be had, since apparently i'm being given tools for the holidays(no suprises in my family :D ). Trying my best to keep the car as a DD, have some plans in mind, but eventually, at 139k, i knwo the engine is comming out of there sooner or later, but for now i care more about the suspension/chassis work, it's easier for me, and i can keep driving the car unless something goes horribly wrong lol.

*goes back to cursing his highly impractical driveway*

Scott