Rally XR4Ti build

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
m2motorsport

Re: Rally XR4Ti build

Post by m2motorsport »

So been a bit busy lately sorry for the lack of progress updates , and I've also been waiting for some cage pieces to turn up. But since these have arrived it's a green light for the rest of the way.
Car is at KRR in Kamloops having the FIA T45 cage welded in, all the Wilwood 4 pot brake setups and Tilton floor mounted peddle box are in the shop. ATL Welcel 12 Gal fuel cell and single lift and single main pump Radium FCST surge tank is ready to go. The Evo Corse wheels were dropped off.
I have gone with the PimpX and full loom that will tie in using Canbus to the Aim MXL dash and GPS driven speedo. All the old loom has been ditched in anticipation of a self made Milspec wiring setup with just the wires I need not all the silly extras.
The goal is to get the car to be right on 2900# as this is the lowest weight before I have to install a 32mm turbo restrictor to meet CARS O2wd rules.
I did have another good result with buying spares! I bought an engine and gearbox combo from a failed project in Edmonton for $100, when I got it home I thought it looked like someone had removed the intake and head so I investigated.... Lo and behold I found a gutted upper and knife edged lower, looked a little closer and found the head has had the intake runners opened up and valve stems cleaned up, I will be taking the head off to check the rest of it in the next few days.
Attachments
Rear Cage.jpg
Rear Cage.jpg (74.36 KiB) Viewed 8759 times
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
1986 XR4Ti soon to be rally car.
dhraakoxr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhraakoxr »

Cool build man, good luck! I look forward to the updates.

Too bad I just left Calgary in June, it would have been awesome to see this thing.
http://xr4ti.wordpress.com

85 XR4Ti: 1.5 Bo-Port Cam, Stinger Header, T3/T4, T5'd, Turbo back 3" Exhaust, Koni coilies (350/750's), LA2/LargeVAM, MC2 Diff Mount, Merkurdriver's IC/Rad, ChuckW Motor Mounts, Ported and Polished everything, Cossie Body Kit.
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

X-brace
X-brace
Engine bay.jpg (119.38 KiB) Viewed 8637 times
Well the engine fell out, now to fill all the spare holes on the fire wall as well as stitch weld the strut towers and inside.
The doors are rusted out where the mouldings were attached as well as a couple of spots on the arches and one place on the left lower rocker panel.
Yes it had two speedo cables, the original broke so the previous owner just zip tied the new one to the old. And someone had filled the power steering with motor oil WTH is wrong with people.
I just picked up an 230 whp motor with all the goodies for little money so that is going to be put in when all said and done. That only makes engine #6, 3 stock, 1 race motor to be built, one with mild head work and this one. And they said having a DSM was a nightmare!!
The good news is that the cage got inspected and passed, so it now has a CARS rally logbook. More good news is that as long as car is over 2900 then no restrictor
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

Say hello to the the new motor, the sum of all the parts is far in excess of the amount I paid for it.
From what the previous owners of it have confirmed is that at 15 psi on 91 octane it is putting a conservative 220hp at the wheels, even the dyno owner has said in the past that his machine reads 10-15% lower than others in the province so a true heart-breaker dyno.
Attachments
New Motor.jpg
New Motor.jpg (252.16 KiB) Viewed 8613 times
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Very cool progress. Nice deal on the motor too!
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

Finally got the last bits out from the car, fuel tank, rear end and all the old pipe work.

Only had issues with two bolts, one that snapped on the front anti roll bar bracket and a weld nut broke free due to a corroded 17 mm bolt that holds the rear end on.
Not bad for an ill maintained '32 year old car, as it turned out all the shocks were dead and weeping as well as one rear spring snapped in half.

"Only needs a couple of wires connected, a tune up and she's ready to go" famous last words from the previous owner that keep repeating in my head!!

Next to get it off to the bead blasting place to get rid of the undergoo and other crap, then make ready for patching holes and stitch welding all the seams.
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
morlynon

Post by morlynon »

That motor is a beast! Any more updates?