3d models for components of XR4ti and Scorpio

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 3d models for components of XR4ti and Scorpio

Post by my8950 »

brokencase wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:11 pm How about weather-stripping?
I'm curious how robust 3D printed weather stripping would be? Would it hold up to the elements, and not turn to dust when UV light from the sun hits it? I know nothing about 3D printed materials, keep it in "idiot speak"...
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

my8950 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:37 pm
I'm curious how robust 3D printed weather stripping would be? Would it hold up to the elements, and not turn to dust when UV light from the sun hits it? I know nothing about 3D printed materials, keep it in "idiot speak"...
The material is thermoplastic polyurathane (TPU) it can be anywhere from 60-90 durometer but I typically print 85 durometer. I would say it is very close to the flex of the original material.

As far as durability perhaps this would help.
from https://filament2print.com/gb/240-flexible-tpe-tpu

"TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) is a thermoplastic, more specifically a linear elastomeric polymer belonging to the family of polyurethanes. This material is characterized by its high resistance to abrasion, certain chemical elements, UV rays and low temperatures. This set of properties makes the use of the TPU widespread throughout the industry."
Specialization is for Insects
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

brokencase wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:38 pm
my8950 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:37 pm
The material is thermoplastic polyurathane (TPU) it can be anywhere from 60-90 durometer but I typically print 85 durometer. I would say it is very close to the flex of the original material.

As far as durability perhaps this would help.
from https://filament2print.com/gb/240-flexible-tpe-tpu

"TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) is a thermoplastic, more specifically a linear elastomeric polymer belonging to the family of polyurethanes. This material is characterized by its high resistance to abrasion, certain chemical elements, UV rays and low temperatures. This set of properties makes the use of the TPU widespread throughout the industry."
Thanks, I will check this out and try to understand.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Door sill cover buttons.

On some cars some button covers were hacked on removal or lost.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!