3d models for components of XR4ti and Scorpio

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 3d models for components of XR4ti and Scorpio

Post by brokencase »

A while back I bought two blanks from China as a "Transit" key replacements. Looks like this but without the transponder:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832783000167.html

I duplicated the keys myself by making a special jig to fit a key cutting machine I procured from a junk shop for $40. I sold the key machine a while back but I regret selling it.

I just cut one up on the bandsaw in order to JB weld epoxy it into my new light fob. Pictures coming soon. Still need to print the little Merkur logo insert.
Specialization is for Insects
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I don't really have a lot of experience with the Scorpio, but, it seems the overhead console is something that is very difficult to find.
Maybe someone would be able to do measurements and reproduce something similar?

It is very difficult for me to think in terms of 3D printing items. I've got some friends here I work with that keep telling me you can make anything, however, anything is very vague. So, I'm trying to think out of my normal vision and come up with something.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The clock+info unit? Or the light module? Or the cover surround?

The light modules are identical front and rear so either can substitute for the other.

The cover surround is often cracked in one or another places because apes try to muscle it off without realizing how it is held in place. Intact ones are scarce if even available.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:48 pm The clock+info unit? Or the light module? Or the cover surround?

The light modules are identical front and rear so either can substitute for the other.

The cover surround is often cracked in one or another places because apes try to muscle it off without realizing how it is held in place. Intact ones are scarce if even available.

YMMV
Overhead console where the display mounts is what I have been asked for a few times.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

The overhead console would probably have to be 3d scanned. It is a fairly involved and complex part.
Not impossible to 3d print, but it is large so it would be expensive. It has a molded satin texture that would not be reproduced with an FDM printer. So it would have to be sanded and then painted to match the other plastics in the interior. This adds even more expense.

As Ed indicated the internal tabs get broken by apes. Because of the points I make above, I think it would be more cost effective repairing the broken tabs via plastic welding rather than 3d printing a whole new console.

So my8950, you can just about 3d print anything. But how much are you or the apes willing to spend for a 3d printed Scorpio console? Long and short of it is demand too low and price too high.

Tell the apes to repair their consoles and stop breaking them.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

brokencase wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:09 pm The overhead console would probably have to be 3d scanned. It is a fairly involved and complex part.
Not impossible to 3d print, but it is large so it would be expensive. It has a molded satin texture that would not be reproduced with an FDM printer. So it would have to be sanded and then painted to match the other plastics in the interior. This adds even more expense.

As Ed indicated the internal tabs get broken by apes. Because of the points I make above, I think it would be more cost effective repairing the broken tabs via plastic welding rather than 3d printing a whole new console.

So my8950, you can just about 3d print anything. But how much are you or the apes willing to spend for a 3d printed Scorpio console? Long and short of it is demand too low and price too high.

Tell the apes to repair their consoles and stop breaking them.
Understood, I don't plan to spend anything on it as I have no need for one.
But I get the apes as well, happens with more than just the overhead.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Photo below shows how you have to cut/grind down the donor key in order to fit the 3d printed fob. After this the part is a tight fit into the 3d printed fob it is then glued in using JB weld epoxy.

My result is good. I have used it in the ignition and it feels sturdy. Although I am being careful with it.

I'm going to post the model up on thingiverse.com
Attachments
merkurkeyfinal.jpg
merkurkeyfinal.jpg (346.68 KiB) Viewed 10494 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

OK, the finished product...
keydone1.jpg
keydone1.jpg (304.46 KiB) Viewed 10492 times
keydone2.jpg
keydone2.jpg (319.94 KiB) Viewed 10492 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Flashlight key model now up on thingiverse.com at the following URL...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5902984
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Great job.
That looks really good. :cheers
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

So what is really required for Scorpio and X4TI?

I've become pretty good at rendering these things.

Tell me, what really needs to be rendered as a 3d model for Scorpio and Xr4ti...
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Spark plug wire separators/holders, the ones that mount on Scorpio valve covers, made of resilient material so the wires push in between the separator fingers, and hold up under engine heat.

YMMV
BBailey88

Post by BBailey88 »

That key looks awesome... I'd love to have a working light in my key!

I'd love to see someone come up with some good ideas for cup holders... Maybe a flip down holder that could handle the big boy 30oz Yeti...?
1989 XR4Ti
Radiant Red/Raven Leather
Auto (Now T5)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

For the IP, a sun shade. The Scorpio and XR IPs each are susceptible to daylight--especially direct sunlight-- affect visibility of the gauges. Most cars since the 90's have dashes with an "eyelid" over the IPs. See BMWs and Hondas inter alia.

The eyelid would mount on the two upper screws holding the existing IP surround.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:47 pm For the IP, a sun shade. The Scorpio and XR IPs each are susceptible to daylight--especially direct sunlight-- affect visibility of the gauges. Most cars since the 90's have dashes with an "eyelid" over the IPs. See BMWs and Hondas inter alia.

The eyelid would mount on the two upper screws holding the existing IP surround.

YMMV
I've never noticed a glare issue with the Scorpio cluster. It's pretty well sunk in.

Regardless, Ed, you could very easily cut a piece of sheet black plastic and drill two holes to make a shade.

Maybe you could post a picture of what you mean.
Attachments
rare-rides-the-1988-merkur-scorpio-a-luxury-liftback-for-nobody.jpg
rare-rides-the-1988-merkur-scorpio-a-luxury-liftback-for-nobody.jpg (64.22 KiB) Viewed 9643 times