Special factory stripe kit?

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
xr4racing

Special factory stripe kit?

Post by xr4racing »

Hi all. I just met a nice couple that recently bought this white '86. Very nice rust free unmolested car (automatic).

I don't recall seeing this stripe kit before and told them I'd inquire with other club members.

It looks factory to me. Perfectly symetric and fitted around the door handles and emblems. Multiple grey and a single maroon stripe with TURBO lettering nearly faded out. Looks great.

What's the scoop?

Best regards,
Peter

Last edited by xr4racing on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Through my research and years in the MCA I don't recall such a graphics package being available. Maybe this was something of a test vehicle to gauge consumer interest in such a package, and the car was later sold. It definitely looks like a mid-80's design and is similar to other graphics packages available on cars of the same vintage.
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
xr4racing

Post by xr4racing »

Thank you Paul. I finally got them to work. I don't post pics often so it's always trial... and mostly error.
Big Dog
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Big Dog »

I haven't seen that before and I've owned multiple XR's. Definitely looks like the eighties era. And if it looks perfectly symmetrical and dated then it probably is. Hopefully one of the xr4ti guru's can tell us. lol.
1989 Radiant Red - AZ car, T5, Cossie T3, 777 Downpipe to Borla 2.5" Dual Exhaust. Ported Big Valve Head. Ported&Polished Intakes&E6. LA3. MerkurDepot IC&Rad. PBR front's & TC Rears. LSD & MC2 Diff Mount. Rapido: shocks, struts, springs. Full Urethane Bushing upgrade and the list goes on.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Very interesting Peter - I've never seen that before. I agree that it looks too perfect to be a private, one-off sort of deal, but I suppose anything is possible.
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

My guess is that it was something from the aftermarket.....just like on a Mustang there are a slew of companies who offer different decal kits and some of them are very OEM in quality and appearance....if they were applied by a professional and were good quality, and since the car is as clean as it is, it would give the impression that it's factory. I'd say the original owner or one of the first owners bought it from somewhere and had it installed.
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

What Evil_XR4 just said makes me think there's a possibility this could be an aftermarket decal kit from Europe. Anyone ever see anything like this on Euro market Sierras?
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Dealerships will contract companies to come in and spruce up selected cars & trucks to try and sell them quicker or to get long term stock off the lots.
That is not a factory stripe.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

And it's ugly. :shock:
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MerkurScorpio wrote:What Evil_XR4 just said makes me think there's a possibility this could be an aftermarket decal kit from Europe. Anyone ever see anything like this on Euro market Sierras?
It would have been pretty "poser-ish" to put a "Turbo" sticker on a car with a N/A motor. :roll:

I'd side with Ian - probably done for a dealer as a contract job - maybe a one-off or maybe they did a few up this way. Sometimes a regional consortium of dealers will go so far as to have a "Regional Limited Edition" version of a car. It's mostly a window-dressing sort of deal like the one we see above. Remember the "K2 Edition" of the XR4?
Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

similar applications were put on a pile of XRs here in Virginia back in the day. you will still see some very unique ones. all were dealer installed to the best of my knowledge.

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
MerkurScorpio wrote:What Evil_XR4 just said
makes me think there's a possibility this could be an aftermarket decal kit from Europe. Anyone ever see anything like this on Euro market Sierras?
It would have been pretty "poser-ish" to put a "Turbo" sticker on a car with a N/A motor. :roll:

I'd side with Ian - probably done for a dealer as a contract job - maybe a one-off or maybe they did a few up this way. Sometimes a regional consortium of dealers will go so far as to have a "Regional Limited Edition" version of a car. It's mostly use a window-dressing sort of deal like this one. Remember the "K2 Edition" of the XR4?
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"