Duratec 2.3 engine swap

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

can't wait
ian the re-animator
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Greenturbo wrote:sweet!
No kidding! I'm so glad the project is continuing. I can't wait to see how things continue with it.

In the meanwhile, Ray Covino sent me the following link earlier today. I guy has got a Duratec 2.3 in his SVO and it doesn't look like it is going to take too much longer to wrap up.

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-rigz/50 ... nside.html
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Anglin,

Mr. Blue's roommate there (omnifocus) is a nationally competitive autoX'r, just as a FYI. i believe he's taken a couple HS championships with his focus, and recently placed with his FSP just ducky racing focus.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

Cool build. He's gonna catch hell from the SVO guys... but oh well.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

BeefFajitas wrote:Cool build. He's gonna catch hell from the SVO guys... but oh well.
At least it's still a Ford/Mazda motor. Could be a 2JZ or something :lol:
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

He started a post on Turboford as well. It's been a warm greeting.
:)
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

I saw "turboford" and "warm greeting" and believed you were being sarcastic. Imagine my surprise when I read the thread and it actually was a warm greeting!

I'm glad more of these RWD turbo Duratec projects are happening. It's only good for the future of our hobby.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Cosworth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cosworth »

I love the swap, and your welds look excellent. So your going to run the Megasquirt, which one? i am waiting for the new SM2 which is geared for squential injection. Cool project
SoKalXR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SoKalXR »

Hey Rat Fink. Any more progress man? I wanna come look at this thing. Hell I wanna drive it if you'll let me!
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

Wonder if he would be interested in making mounts and oil pans for this swap......
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

espacef1fan wrote:Wonder if he would be interested in making mounts and oil pans for this swap......
No, he wouldn't lol... This swap is way more involved than some mounts and an oil pan. He is actually trying to clear his plate, so he can make some more progress on this thing, just way too buried in customers work to do anything for himself. Besides I thought you said Quads For Rods=Fail?
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

RatFink wrote:
espacef1fan wrote:Wonder if he would be interested in making mounts and oil pans for this swap......
No, he wouldn't lol... This swap is way more involved than some mounts and an oil pan. He is actually trying to clear his plate, so he can make some more progress on this thing, just way too buried in customers work to do anything for himself. Besides I thought you said Quads For Rods=Fail?
Mmm..I did say that. Dont care for the means to the solution... I'm going to try a different solution.

That header is sweet, would love to have that.

Anyways I'm going to try to use as much off the shelf stuff as possible, with a price list and see if I cant get more people to do this swap...
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
Jgrove998
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jgrove998 »

Sweet project.

I'm partial to it because I have the Focus ST that is boosted on 8 psi. :)
'04 SVT Focus --- Boosted, GT2860RS, 10 psi
'86 XR4Ti --- Project Car
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Duratec 2.3 engine swap

Post by timxr8 »

Any update? I'm in the middle of acquiring parts to do this exact swap, but I'll be using a log type header and a T3/T04B (pretty much an Escos spec T34 turbo). Which gearing are you planning on with the T5? Rearend? Suspension? Just curious.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Duratec 2.3 engine swap

Post by RatFink »

timxr8 wrote:Any update? I'm in the middle of acquiring parts to do this exact swap, but I'll be using a log type header and a T3/T04B (pretty much an Escos spec T34 turbo). Which gearing are you planning on with the T5? Rearend? Suspension? Just curious.
Wow, necro post come to life, lol. I almost feel bad replying without posting new pictures, but I am hammering down, getting ready for the BITD Vegas to Reno race. Anyway, I look forward to see what you come up with.
As far as my rear end, I am building my own beam with six degrees of angle and my own buggy type tubular trailing arms, using Chebby micro stub axles and 930 CV's I will probably keep the diff factory because the housing is all light weight aluminum and what not, but I do plan on adding a clutch type LSD. via MC2. My ultimate goal has shifted to all out Time Attack. I am looking into G Force gear boxes now and we will have to see where we go from here.
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.