Hey Ben, this you?

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Hey Ben, this you?

Post by Ray »

-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

I like those rims!
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Yep, thats me, I have not seen these Pic's yet and now that I see them, I had a little to much front brake, i kept turn the front brakes out and I was still locking them up, Have some new shoe I will be trying out.

I think I may have to put more spring rate in also, the good thing is when we run at the Nationals next year, it will be Thursday and Friday so there is going to be a lot more grip.

Thank you for posting these, nice to see, on the last pic, I have the right front wheel off the ground.

Ben DSP XR4ti
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Hey Ben, in the first pic the inner front is lifting too.

I heard a couple comments from some other autocrossers who've run with you, to the point of

"He is definitely fast. He used to set FTD all the time in his capri"

"He is a nice guy, and a great driver.

I've seen very few people drive as sideways yet as quickly has he does... "

you popular mr DSP guy.

:)
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Weren't you running 285s up front Ben? Those certainly don't appear to be 285s in the pics.
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Hey Grayson,

I would like to use 285/30/18's but I just can't bring myself to cut up the body to make them fit, the car handles great with the 245/35/18's but with the front brakes keep locking up a little, which causes the car to have push on turn in, it's hard to give up on the 245/35/18's yet. If you look at the pic's I don't have anough Caster, so I'm going to try some more Caster on the front, right now I have 3.9 deg I'm shooting for 6.5 deg I think the camber plates will be able to that.

Ben DSP XR4ti
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
CommunistFries

Post by CommunistFries »

Cool car :D
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Ben, i have the same issue with my XR (lifting the front inner tire), results in some lockup if you come in too hot, as one tire is heavily loaded, the other barely or not loaded at all...

what rear bar are you running?
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Hey Ray,

I'm running custom adjustable rear bar which runs at 10mm to 20mm and maybe 8mm if I drill another hole and I'm set at right now I'm at 14mm.

If your locking up the front brakes, do you have a proprotioning valve to dial out some of the front? are you still useing the stock rear Valve? what kind of pads/shoes are you running? I just got some really nice shoes and i'm going to install them for the next event, I'm trying to get the rear to work harder and to get a better pedal feel and to get the front from locking up.

Ben DSP XR4ti
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Ben, more details please on your rear bar.
What spring rates / dampers are you running?

i'm using no proportioning valve, but i was considering doing so.
my front brakes are 2003 SVT focus rotors (300mm), 2003 mustang GT calipers, motorcraft pads. rear brakes are mintex stuff.

if you're ever out east coast way i'd like you to come to an event with me and either take my car for some fun runs or codrive... i'd love another XR driver's feedback. (no one else wants to drive my car... go figure).

last person to drive it drive it was a performance driving school instructor who had mentioned that the car is fun, but very hard to drive. (very "loose" --- likes to oversteer)..
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:last person to drive it drive it was a performance driving school instructor who had mentioned that the car is fun, but very hard to drive. (very "loose" --- likes to oversteer)..
What the hell do you have in the rear end Ray? The typical complaint with this car is that it's too tight and you can't bring the rear-end around. I know when I was at the Glen I made some mistakes that would have rotated the 911, but were easily correctable in the XR. I find the XR to be the easiest car I've ever driven at the limit. :dunno
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I have a rabid pack of squirrels in the rear end...

7.0 euro LSD
850lb/in hypercoils
koni yellow
oem rear sway (noodle bar)
mc2racing inner and outer nylon STA bushes
powerflex rear beam bushes
mc2racing diff mount

*shrug*

i'm not complaining. i like how it handles. great for rotation for autocross.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Well Ray,

If I told you i would have to Kill you. :twisted:

I have the stock rear Diff. with an Eaton LSD
700lbs Eibach
Leda double adjustable (Selling)
custom rear sway bar ( made by mairracing)
mc2 inner& outer nylon STA bushing
mc2 beam bushings
Rapido urethane Diff. mount (SP rules)

Are you still using the stock rear drums? if your not, your probably still have to much front brake, I would put one on and test it.

I would like to do that but is your season over, if you can give me a web page of your region, I'll keep my eyes on it and let you know.

i'll put that out there also, if any of you are here in the Bay area, email me and I find a event so you can drive my car.

Ben DSP XR4ti
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

my season is over after this sunday (21 oct)

i run with CART (www.cartct.com)
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

demonfire wrote:(no one else wants to drive my car... go figure).
I'll co-drive :)
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS