Cossie (Cosworth) intercooler W/stock intake

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Cossie (Cosworth) intercooler W/stock intake

Post by mikerobison »

Could someone post pictures of the engine compartment with a cosie intercooler, stock turbo, and stock over the top intake. I would like to see what type of couplers were used. Thanks a bunch for the help. Mike
Last edited by mikerobison on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

You can use whatever you want for couplers... I just needs to hold boost.
:)
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

I'm trying to decide where to do the transition between 3" to 2 1/4". I don't really feel like buying a couple dozen different types of couplers, I'd rather copy a sample I like, but I'm having a hard time visualizing.

I have the intercooler purchased but I haven't installed it. I would like to do the intercooler install and piping install all at the same time.
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the 3" to 2.25" transition since the stock turbo outlet is 2", and the standard Cossie IC inlet and outlet size is 2.5", and the stock TB is 2.5". In any case, here is my setup... Cossie 2wd intercooler, 2.25" pipe throughout:

I could definitely afford to get rid of a couple of the couplers in my setup by having a couple of the pipes welded together, but I'm cheap (at least for the time being).

As for couplers, I bought the piping kit off ebay for $112 shipped and it included plenty of pipe, t-bolt clamps, and silicone couplers, including a couple 90* silicone elbows. And I still have over half the kit left.

Hope this helps.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Once again, I bought some 2 1/2", mandrel-bent, steel U-tube sections from a muffler shop for $12 apiece. Cut roughly in the middle, they give you the basic straight tube with a 90* at the end you need to form the basic pieces (they threw in a few straight scrap sections for free). In fact, as I recall, I used only three of the four J-shaped sections thus created. Aside from the turbo-to-outlet pipe connection (if you use the typical, 2", 90* part), you can use truck hose for the rest of the couplers. Bead the edges of the pipes, use T-bar hose clamps, and you're good to go.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

here's mine, rs500 intercooler, lots of used saab hoses, and a tubular bunkbed frame that i cut down for the nice sweeping 90's

ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote:tubular bunkbed frame that i cut down for the nice sweeping 90's
Awesome!!! :headbang :haha
Brad
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

mikerobison wrote:I'm trying to decide where to do the transition between 3" to 2 1/4". I don't really feel like buying a couple dozen different types of couplers, I'd rather copy a sample I like, but I'm having a hard time visualizing.

I have the intercooler purchased but I haven't installed it. I would like to do the intercooler install and piping install all at the same time.

I'd like to know where your goign to fit that 3" pipe under an XR hood? I think you may run into space issues. If you look at Worked_Xr's setup it comes pretty close to the ALT.

I'm using 2" ID ABS piping right now with an assortment of couplers. I think I got my 2" to 2.25" coupler from a SAAB. The rest are truck radiator or fuel filler neck hose.

The 2.25" size is pretty much perfect for the stock throttle body and the inlet/oulet size of your intercooler. Using anything bigger is goign to have you looking for additional couplers that just cost more and simply are not needed.
:)
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

The inlet and the outlets of the intercooler are 3", The turbo and throttle body are 2 1/4". Pictures are worth a thousand word in this case. Thanks!
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

mikerobison wrote:The inlet and the outlets of the intercooler are 3", The turbo and throttle body are 2 1/4". Pictures are worth a thousand word in this case. Thanks!
You must be talking about the RS500 intercoolers (like those often found on eBay). As I said, mine is a OEM Cossie 2wd intercooler and the inlets and outlets are only 2.5".
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
xr4man wrote:tubular bunkbed frame that i cut down for the nice sweeping 90's
Awesome!!! :headbang :haha

x2!!!
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

Last edited by mikerobison on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

So that's where all the 90* bends went! :shock:
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp »

I'll only add to this that I made a brace running from where the A/C bracket was to the IC piping so that it was braced from the engine. Kept some of the connectors stay connected. I don't have a pic that is any good, because it goes to the underside of the piping and can't get a good angle to shoot.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Holy crap lol..
You used BUNK BED frame for IC piping.. and I get called Ghetto for wanting to cut my springs.. Now thats funny.
But hey, if it works!!
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.