Pics of my cone filter hack job lol

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Mine is mounted at an angle (not verticle, but it is angled). I have had both the oem and the big VAM like this with no issues.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

I dont think youll have probs with the elbow collapsing, even with downspeeding vacuum levels that stock hose is pretty thick rubber. I dont like that hard 90 much buts its so close to the VAM its not a huge deal, and you said its temporary anyway so yeah I think thatll work.
Check the clamp on the back of the vam though it looks to be on crooked and you dont want that popping off and sucking up crap into the turbo while your on a nice long dirt road... or any road.

I think we've talked about it before but check out my video on youtube for ideas on this CAI thing if you still need input. I made a very simple bracket that holds the stock or large VAM in a good spot for using a cone (3" for large, 2.5" for stock) clamped right onto the VAM. Check em out search f22mzr.
GL
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Yeah something else i noticed if you look close in the last pic, i forgot to bolt up my coolant overflow jug :shock: Right now it's still dangling by that hose :banghead

As soon as i can get around to making a new bracket i'm gonna ditch the elbow and mount it straight to the VAM until i can get a fender mount made or something. I like the idea of ducting cold air from outside to an enclosed filter under the hood better than mounting the filter in the fender or under the fender...makes servicing it much easier.
mtnXRti
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mtnXRti »

will the lrg VAM work with stock XR ECU? I was under the impression it would not work well unless you upgrade to say an LA or PE.

http://www.merkurencyclopedia.com/Motor ... f_inst.htm

my .02

I dig the install. agreed you should do a heat shield or CAI to finish....... but you know this :wink:
'87 XR Street Ninja
'89 XJ Urban Krawler

Aaron
Longmont, CO
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

No you cant use bigVam with the XRs PF EEC, youll run lean I think.
But you you are around to upgrading, theres nothing better/cheaper/easier than the IC-BVam-LA/PE combo upgrade.
If I did another street XR thats where I would start. Think about it.. Ford did lol.
I cant figure why they downstepped for the XR from the Mustang SVO stuff... then went right back up for the Turbocoupe... sigh** :roll:
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
mtnXRti
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mtnXRti »

MerlinMerkur wrote:I cant figure why they downstepped for the XR from the Mustang SVO stuff... then went right back up for the Turbocoupe... sigh** :roll:
Didn't want to scare all the stangers............J/k who knows though...Maybe they had a better idea....Cost?
'87 XR Street Ninja
'89 XJ Urban Krawler

Aaron
Longmont, CO
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Well i had an LA3 lined up but the guy wanted 75 for it and i'm almost positive i can score one from the pull and pay junkyards for cheaper so i passed on it. Once i get it and have it repinned and get the VAM with it then i'm gonna start working on the intercooler. I was going to use this giant Volvo IC that i've got but it's ridiculous and i don't think the results will be worth the effort. I'm probably gonna break down and buy a nice front mount that will fit nice up in the bumper cover area.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

whoops. I just sold a FMIC and I do have BigVams too.
My price is a tad better though.. 65+Shipping.
~Travis
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:Yeah something else i noticed if you look close in the last pic, i forgot to bolt up my coolant overflow jug :shock: Right now it's still dangling by that hose :banghead
Get rid of it. I did, and no ill effects. And no more puking coolant syndrome(never did figure out why it did that, I rebuilt the motor and replaced my coolant tank before I could look at it and the new tank did not have a fitting for the overflow bottle.)

I think that was the worlds longest run-on sentence... :roll:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI