"Ray's AKA demonfire's XR4Ti build up"

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
cmanreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Ray's AKA demonfire's XR4Ti build up"

Post by cmanreinhart »

Hey Ray, any updates on how the V6 t5 swap went? I'm kicking around doing the exact same swap this next winter, and haven't decided weither I want to use the spacer technique since there a debate on weither or not the input shaft is hardened.
-Conner
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Holy crap, wow, it's been a while since i've checked this thread.

The 238 code swap is great - if you have the horsepower. The gearing is the tallest that i know of in a 5 spd but i find myself having to shift back to 1st gear on tight courses. I had the input shaft machined to the 4cyl trans length and end diameter. Installation was just as easy as any other t5.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Converting to compression struts in the front. Testing running no sway bar at all. Already removed the rear years ago.

Why? Corner entry bite. This car has always been a challenge to get any type of corner entry without understeer. Roll bar bind is a huge issue with these cars, and what the idea is, is that is something contributing to my corner entry understeer. While i've been able to work around this with throttle induced slip angle to get the car "right" again, the sledgehammer technique isn't always the fastest (while it may be the most fun.) Talking with Joe (heat), and Anglin and Grayson, i'm going to try this out and let ya'll know how it works.

Cost of entry for this is fairly inexpensive. Burton Power out of the UK has them for the Sierra. At the time of this post, the conversion rates and shipping had them to my door in under 10 days for a little over $250 USD.

Couple of notes:
1. The mounting bracket to the chassis, if you have converted to studs, is the hardest part. I had to tweak how the studs come out to get this to line up.
2. You need to have the strut at full minimum length, since it's adjustable, and have the TCA in the highest position to get it to fit. Place the TCA mount first, then line up the heim joint, then lower the TCA to get the bolt to line up.
3. This is by far easier to install than reinstalling the sway bar. There is no fighting anything, no cussing, etc.

My car is in off season mode until april, so i wont be able to post results for a few months. And since pictures talk, i snapped a few.

Installed

Chassis mount with heim joint

Another view, showing no interference with stud mounts

Full compression

Full droop

TCA mounting point (solid) - this will make some noise, i'm sure.

I'm going to copy / paste this in a new thread, as well as i know a lot of people are interested in this.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

First event with no front sway bar and only the compression struts - in the wet.

Notes: The car, even in the wet, has better turn in. The dreaded merkur lack of corner entry bite is gone. There was no noticeable "sway" with the lack of the bar, but i'm running fairly aggressive suspension, so i'm not sure how this would work for a more streetable setup. Overall, i'm very pleased. I was able to put 2 seconds on the 2015 CP champion, who is very quick, however he was on A6's and it was raining. I'm running R888's this season which i imagine has a lot to do with it.

I am able to carry a fairly decent slip angle with no real threat of spinning. Before, it was not nearly as easy - the car would suffer from (i think) ARB bind.

Overall, i'm happy, but i only have a single event, and it was raining. I'll keep you all posted when i get some dry runs in.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Couple of images from Saturday's test and tune (in the pouring rain)

There would be more, but obviously our photographer didn't want to move around too much. :)
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

So what set up do you have in the front besides the compression struts/no arb?

BTW: Looks impressive too!
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

New control arms (had to do ball joints, went with MOOG), powerflex "black series" inner control arm bushing, compression struts make up the lower.
Damping is bilstein inverted monotube, custom valved with hypercoil 600lb/in springs, top is QA-1 (steeda) mustang camber / caster plate on custom strut top mounts.

The car clicks and clacks - most of the suspension is heim joint, rigid mount, etc but she's controllable.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Wow, 600 lb/in springs, I'd hate to ride with them in my car with Koni yellow's. Obviously the Bilstiens are set up to work with them.

JVAB struts?
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

No, ordered from bilstein with compression/ rebound rates changed based on the cars weight, spring rates, etc. the JVAB ones are a great alternative but a bit softer than this car's purpose (not valved for springs this heavy / track use only / etc)
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

First points event was yesterday. Temps started in the mid 40's and rose to mid 70's. Sunny. Pavement temps were good.

Thoughts: The new setup is a win. I am not going back to a sway bar.

Corner entry was drastically improved. There is little discernible corner entry understeer, which plagued me since I started running this car back in 2005. Sweepers / steady cornering at the limit has a tendency to oversteer, which I prefer. The car just does it. I had no less than a dozen people comment on how fast the car was compared to before - and remember, I'm in a fire breathing CP class against built v8's on massive race tires. I'm running R888's this season which are an R compound street tire, and I was able to hold first in class for a little while. Ended up second by a little more than 4 tenths to a really, really well prepared mustang who has an amazing driver.

The car is controllable, there is no noticeable snap oversteer any more. The other thing that helped this was converting the rear to racing shocks and coilovers, which I did back in... 08?
You wear the car now, controlling slip angle is just natural. My fastest run I had the tail out ever so slightly on a very long left handed sweeper. One of my favorite comments was "you just had that car dancing out there, didn't you?"

I'll post a few pics when they become available. I'm very happy with the new setup.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Thanks Ray, you make me want to order up the kit now!

More money to drop into this money pit. :mrgreen:
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

A few pics - notice how planted the car is with no sway bars - no body roll that was noticeable at all.

Bonus points, I did spin once.

Hard right hander, decreasing radius to a tight left

rapid transition to the left

And because it's me, spin it!

-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Looks very well-planted in the pix. Do you wonder what the addition of a blade-type bar might accomplish?
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I do wonder, but it's one of those things - looking at the car there is no real noticable sway at all and if i finally found my sweet spot i dont want to throw good money after parts that might not make me any faster. A blade bar was something i was going to work on (with Anglin) if i had a lot of body roll, but i just don't. I'm cornering at over 1.4 lateral G's in these pictures.

With softer spring rates, i'd bet it'd be a win. I wouldn't really want to recommend the struts with no bar for a lightly sprung car (450 or less, probably, and yes i know that's not light for a daily driver).

edit: thinking about it, for years i've always had the issue of lifting a tire off the ground, front or rear - depending on how i was attacking a corner. Looks good in pictures but reduces your contact patch by 25%, now, my suspension is finally able to work as designed. Truly independently.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Since i'm getting a lot of questions on Facebook and i want to keep everything searchable (don't let the forums die! they are a better way to research).

Current suspension setup with alignment specifications:

Front:

Spring Rate - hypercoil 600lb/in, 2.5" ID, 9" tall (I think i have to check my notes) with helper springs
Damping - Bilstein inverted 40mm monotube, custom valved for car weight / spring rate
Bushings - Powerflex "black" series inner TCA, outer TCA solid to compression strut
Strut Top - custom strut top mount with mustang QA1 camber / caster plates, heim joint top bushing.
MC2hardware, strut top, and spring perch.
Antiroll bar- none. Compression struts used from Burton Power (Mc2Racing might start fabricating these, stay tuned)

Alignment, front:
1/8" total toe out, static
2.8 degrees negative camber, static (this might change once i analyze tire wear)
6 (questionable, i need to measure) positive caster

Rear:

Spring Rate - hypercoil 325lb/in, 2.5" ID, 12" springs, coilover location
Damping - QA1 Carrera 4/4 aluminum threaded body racing dampers
Bushings - Mc2Racing nylon STA inner / outer, solid mount beam, mc2racing rear diff mount, TIG welded to be solid mounted
Antiroll Bar - none

Alignment, rear:
Zero toe
1.8 degrees negative camber, static (shimmed)
Caster unknown
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT