"Ray's AKA demonfire's XR4Ti build up"

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Re: "Ray's AKA demonfire's XR4Ti build up"

Post by Esteban »

Im diggin the nissan datsun flares. Do they give you about 1.5" more clearance? I can't wait to install my Outcast set.
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

I've been wanting to do this, but I have to wait till I can afford a set of wheels that will fill the fenders.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

about 1.5" in the rear, and a little more up front. I was more aggressive up front as the car sits with a little rake.

The outcast set is a steal for what you get. I made my own fiberglass flares a couple winters ago - 12 hours on making molds, sanding, more sanding, etc - and in the end i wasn't overly happy with the result so i went this direction.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Fantastic work! Looking good, Ray.
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Ray,

Could you give me some line logic on the coolant pathways you created. Assuming T-stat closed for simplicity.

Mine is

bottle --> 5/8" water pump --> into block --> 3/8" out of lower intake --> 5/8" heater core --> 3/8" bottle
......................................... into block --> 1/2" to turbo feed on bottom of turbo --> 1/2" out of top of turbo --> 3/8"bottle
......................................... into block --> 5/8" through t-stat housing --> 3/8"bottle

Does this make sense? last line (3/8" to bottle) is the same line (junction) You can kinda see it in the images below. trying to simplify as much as possible. I know you got rid of the lower intake.

-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Sure. What i did was remove as many lines as possible. My car isn't driven on the street, so i removed... almost everything. I removed the water from the turbo (oil cooled only), and use proper cool down times on the turbo itself.
There is no heater core, nor oil preheater (oil cooler) on the filter. I have only 2 non radiator coolant lines on the car.

Bottle - -10AN to thermostat bypass
Bottle - -10AN to water pump

The radiator lines are -16AN, and yes, it hurt (but only for a second) to cut the fittings off the rare C&R radiator and tig some AN fittings on there.

Overall, the system is EXTREMELY simplified but it's like that for a reason.

Lower intake is out to bottle - so that goes to what looks like heater core in, then h-core out to manifold along V-cover to bottle. It looks like- without removing the lower intake - (possibly oil preheater, cant tell in the pics as it shares that line), turbo, and heater core - that your setup is about as simple as it gets. The reason i went the route i did was for a few reasons - i wanted simplicity. I didn't need any creature comforts. Less lines mean less weight - and less money as those fittings are bling money - etc. I think i had about the exact same setup as you for several years - with really no major issues.

I'm not sure if that is what you were looking for - let me know if that answered your question.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Gotcha thanks. That is about a simple as you can get. I like your sensor locations, makes everything so much easier not to have to deal with the intake junk. Luckly I'm deleting the oil warmer and heater core valve. That is almost half the lines right there.

This weekend I hope to start and finish some hard aluminum tubing for the lower radiator hose. Check back on my thread to see what you think... if it works out. I'm hoping it will be a little cheaper than your nice AN fittings and be as reliable.
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Update - pics in a few (making dinner for the kids, have 7 minutes for the pasta to cook)

Make that 5, just had an issue.

Anyway,

Bilsteins arrive friday, 6pm (thank you Grayson!). Custom valved. Trim spring perches, lube, assemble, install with powerflex "black" series, high durometer bushings. While i was in there i cleaned and painted the control arms.
Car gets set back on her wheels for the first time since october. Brand new 245/40/17 710s adorn the wheels. New brake lines (thanks mike!) in the front, GN compressor housing, NPR FMIC, charge tubing, intake manifold, suspension...

Car is going to be different.

So i had a few questions thus far - - "how was the opener?" Well, it's hard to tell. It was cold out and the tires couldn't get heat, but my gut reaction is this, and can be summed up by a friend who was also driving my car, and who also is a much, much better driver than I... And he's used to high horsepower cars...

"The car is absolutely terrifying when the boost comes on. Can I go again?"

IE: :haha A riot.

The fact that i changed everything doesn't help but... the car pulls further into the rev band. You can adjust angle with the throttle. You can pitch the car sideways while going straight (ie; more power), the bilsteins are friggin' awesome and i didn't notice the porpoising that i had with the konis. There was more feedback, easier transition thru the steering wheel than before; the car is easily slidable, but controllable. My fastest time of the day was not too far off FTD (i had to leave early anyway, and my belt tensioner committed suicide), but anyway, the fastest time was literally on the edge of traction the entire run. I quoted "i'm going to go pick a fight with physics" before my run. There was probably another second in the run but... well, my quote came back to bite me as the tensioner threw in the towel. I'll mod that design before the end of the month.

Overall, i'm extremely happy with the results - the car is tighter, faster, more powerful, easier to control when you exceed traction, and i'm out of time and have to go pull the pasta off the stove. Pics later.

:cheers
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Jon L.
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jon L. »

Nice Ray!!
Jon
06 Subaru Outback 2.5i, black steelies (DD)
06 Subaru STI, light bar, built EJ257 w/ 2618, GTX3582r .82, meth (nights)
95 Jeep XJ, 5 speed, 2.5" OME lift, 31" MT's (alt. DD)
99 Jeep XJ, NP242 auto, 2.5" OME lift, 31" MT's (radios)
89 Merkur XR4Ti, Megasquirt, DP, cam, meth (Sunday cruiser)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Yeah, if that isn't the quintessential Merkurista post, I don't know what is! :cheers :notworthy :headbang
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

John Brennan wrote:Yeah, if that isn't the quintessential Merkurista post, I don't know what is! :cheers :notworthy :headbang
1. Car hasn't been on ground in X days
2. Y work performed
3. Smile achieved
4. Drove car
5. Larger smile achieved
6. Impressed the hell out of everyone
7. Largest smile achieved
8. Car broken
9. Repeat steps 1-8

This describes most of the threads here and why we all love the car.

Excited to see this thing in action Ray. Lets get some tuning in soon too.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Few pics from members only. rest at cartct.com
Some are from a co-driver for the day.

Failures: Belt tensioner (fixed) / Starter (fixed)

Points opener this weekend.

Had to clearance the front bumper brackets a little more.

Changes made during off season:
GN cold side on turbo
Intake manifold
FMIC / Associated plumbing
Minor tuning tweaks
custom valved bilsteins (front)
new 710s
new braided brake lines (last set were too short)
powerflex "black edition" track front poly track control arm bushes

Notes:
Car is hilarious. More power, less porpoising, overall better feedback.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Can you tell if your intake has been helping vs just the new turbo?
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

The car's power has been opened up to a broader rpm range - is this just the turbo or the IM? I'm going to say that it's a combination of both - the stock intake manifold, as we know, even in gutted state, limits top end flow; however i think that the biggest bottle neck was the stock cold side turbo.

For those that TL; DR - current turbo setup is

Cossie hotside, stock .48 trim
(new) t3 CHRA with upgrade 360 degree journals
GN cold side

I'm very happy with this setup.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

Ray, what size tires and wheels are you running? Did you have to clearance the cladding aft of the front wheels for turning? Did you flare the stock fenders up front as well?

Edit: just saw 245/40r17. I have been thinking about that size. Are they on 8 or 9 inch wheels and what is the offset?
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx