"Ray's AKA demonfire's XR4Ti build up"

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Re: "Ray's AKA demonfire's XR4Ti build up"

Post by Ray »

Last season was 275 40 17, where most of the clearancing had to come from. Given the ride height of the car, i removed about 2" of actual fender in an arc up front, and carried that to the cladding. The front bumper is a jetta bumper, mounted on the same arc, but i had to modify the support system for clearance.

The new tires are a bit smaller; so i have a little bit more room.

Wheels are 17x9 ET 20
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

How would those 245/40R17 V710s be on a 17x8 wheel? Would it be too narrow?
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

245's will be fine on a 8" wide wheel. 225 would be a bit skinny, 235 perfect, and 245 maybe a slight pinch.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

8" is the minimum recommended width for that sized tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Ecsta+V710

You should be fine. On a 9, the tread width is almost even with the wheel width. I had slight pinching on the 275.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Ray, I would like to ask a few more questions about the turbo setup. What rpm is max boost? What is max boost? Does it come on linearly? Do you have any tuning additions, like lean spool?

I had the first autox with ours yesterday and am extremely unhappy with the turbo lag.
Last edited by catapultkid on Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

catapultkid wrote: I had the first autox with ours yesterday and am extremely unhappy with the turbo lag.
So I looked back at what looked like the turbo your running now (stock T3?) and there are some problems that I see and would change if you can. The intercooler is killing you, I look at it this way...in a N/A engine you don't open things up to much so you can keep up intake velocity but in a turbo car the air is going so fast that if it hits a mean 90* (like your intercooler) your slowing the air speed down, all your tubing looks great until the intercooler.

The next thing to me is the exhaust side, you have the stock waste gate 90*. I think they still sell a Mod waste gate to get the turbo to spin faster http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release103105.htm this is what I used and works like the cosworth exhaust housing, with the CWEH works better.

Then it's going to be a driving technique, the 2.3 without a turbo is what? 90 to 100 hps, get on the gas really, really, really early. I can go on and on with the little things but go from there.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I took a look and 2nd what Ben said regarding the exhaust elbow. That's the most critical element to a quick spool and you really to be at 3"+ immediately.

Cam timing may also be a factor. Throw an adjustable gear on and advance timing a few degrees.

Manifold is ported fully too?
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

I'll continue this discussion on my build thread that I need to update because this is just one of the many things I was unhappy about. I'll sum everything up there so I don't hijack his thread about my car.
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I only have a couple of events on this setup, in the cool, so i cant really comment yet on your questions.

Of note - the car makes a lot of power, and a lot of power right now. Lag is present if you are not left foot braking at about apex for a quick autox corner; max boost comes on pre-3k. i didn't have to do much adjustment at all to my fuel tables - i'm using a MAP sensor so it's directly related to intake manifold pressure and engine speed.

I can report back once we get some warmer temps and a longer track. 710's in the cool make the car very loose so i'm not paying attention to gauges.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Had a couple warm day events, with today really coming together in terms of learning boost settings, power, etc.

Issues i had; that were resolved
Grip was crap
Car was cutting out under boost; and boost was spiking to 24psi - my car is set to cut spark / fuel over 22psi.

First; i had the MBC signal moved to the manifold for "faster response" - that was a mistake and i went back to the compressor outlet. The compressor plug had loosened up to "just a bit tighter than finger tight" so i'm glad i changed back for that reason. The line from the MBC to the WG was starting to develop a tiny tear / eroding as it's very, very close to the outlet for my relocated ECT sender; so i moved the MBC, while doing so - took it apart, cleaned, and lubed, as i feared it was sticking.

I lowered the boost to what it thought was 19-20psi - thing is, with my setup, if the car cuts boost, it gets into this pop opop pop pop pop never really gets back as the car jumps from 10 to 25psi with how the safety cuts are - so it's good to stay below this...

I also removed, cleaned, and regapped my plugs to 0.031", was running 0.032". Am using an MSD coil.

This rectified my boost cut problem - i wasn't sure before if it was spark, causing the spike, then the cut, or the boost causing the cut, or the MBC sticking; still not sure but it's fixed and i'm pretty confident it was the MBC giving a signal for omgboostlevels.

Anyway; TIRE PRESSURES on the new smaller 710s, i was running pressures similar to my bigger 275s (i'm down to 245s now); bad idea. The smaller tires wanted more pressure - by like 6psi, which is huge. Once that was found out, my car became a missile. I am able to get heat back into my tires (Ben - shorter courses than you are used to and my skill level is not even on the same plane).

To answer some questions -
This turbo set up is great, i love it. Top end power, lag is at or less than stock, full boost by 3k rpm in 2nd gear; 3rd gear is lower (tested on street) to closer to 2700 rpm. Power delivery is like a hammer; with the custom valved bilsteins, extra power, newer grip, the car is brilliant. A more competent driver than me (Ben, Anglin, Grayson) would be able to pilot this thing to 1 to 1.5 seconds faster than me on most courses.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Ray wrote: (Ben, Anglin, Grayson) would be able to pilot this thing to 1 to 1.5 seconds faster than me on most courses.
Ray; Bro...! start believing in yourself, what makes you think that anyone can drive your XR any better? The good thing about the SFR is we have ALOT! of National Champion to work off of. Pick a/the leading driver for your Class or not but someone faster than you and in your head call him out, Now go get him, This is what I do and LIVE FOR IT!!!! I love the chase.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Haven't been as active in this thread. The car is a demon. Once we got the tire pressures closer to dialed in (i changed tire size from 275 to 245), we've been doing better. Power is... almost comical. Broke the dogbone clutch cable yesterday, easy fix, but put an end to the day. Decided that 34 / 31 is my sweet spot on warm days.

Anyway. I totally pooched my first run. Overshot a 90* FAST left hander... enough that we locked up and went around the gate. I was in the middle of 3rd, LFBing, and just royally F'd my first run. Given that, was gun shy about that corner for the rest of the day landing me a solid second place behind a cammed, ported 4.6 mustang on 295 hoosier a6's. Oh well. I'll get back into the swing of things. I need taller first and second for certain. This short ratio stuff doesn't work well with the power i'm delivering.

Anyway. That's that. Fun times, but i need to get some more feedback - Ben, Grayson - looking at those what do you think about my front camber? Not enough? And i'm not sure if you can make tire pressure recommendations by looking at pictures, but what do you think?
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

2.5 F 0.8 or 1.0 R ( have to check again)

I'll dial a little more front in, rears are non adjustable...

I have a brake bias knob right here on my desk - was thinking of reducing rear until i realized i need more rear - not sure how i feel about reducing front; but it makes sense. I literally downshift in the braking zone to help slow the car down at times - not the best i know but it works.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Ray wrote: Image
Anyway. That's that. Fun times, but i need to get some more feedback - Ben, Grayson - looking at those what do you think about my front camber? Not enough? And i'm not sure if you can make tire pressure recommendations by looking at pictures, but what do you think?
The only thing for me is.. yes you need more camber front and rear, what are they now? Front camber for me is -3.2 and rear is -1.6.
Tire PSI are what you need to adjust every event with a Tire Pressure and Temperature tool but sometime hard to check after a run and is affected by your camber/toe also.
Take more front brake out, I had this same problem with my XR "front brake lock up" and just could not drive my XR full tilt with the brake lock up in the back of my mine, dial it out until you can hit the brakes in that kind of turn and not have any lock up, it will help with your driving confidence.

Looks great, look at those tires work!

Ben
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Do you have any recent videos? I'd like to see the power. I know you have a nice head that flows but I don't think that is the only trick. Still running a small hot side with a GN cold side?
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight