GM LSD Underway

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

I haven't performed this swap before, but I'll throw it out in case it ends up working. I've heard that if you install the bearings on the diff after it's installed in the case, you don't have to grind...or at least not grind as much. If this is true, it would certainly be worth the inconvenience to avoid the grinding.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

How do you install bearings on the carrier when it's in the case? Those bearings are pressed on. Not only that, but the carrier should be a tight fit to the case. Maybe you're talking about the race that unbolts?
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Hey MerkxrTurbo,

Have you put it the case yet? I'm going to be surprised if you can get in the case and this is base on how mine went in but I could be wrong.

BeefFajitas,

By the way you can press in the bearings after you install the LSD, it was the only way it was going to fit, I just didn't want the mod the case to have it fit.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

Interesting. I was just thinking back to when I sent up the 8.8.
-Nate
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Hey, yes I have it in the case. It is just sitting in there and not riding on the bearings or anything because I will need spacers to make the carrier the correct length.

I'm going to do a bit more work on it today. I will double check to make sure that the pinion gear does not rub on the carrier, as I've heard that can be a problem with some. If that checks out, I'm going to drop it off to my machinist for at least the axle turning portion of the work. 8)
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:Hey, yes I have it in the case. It is just sitting in there and not riding on the bearings or anything because I will need spacers to make the carrier the correct length.

I'm going to do a bit more work on it today. I will double check to make sure that the pinion gear does not rub on the carrier, as I've heard that can be a problem with some. If that checks out, I'm going to drop it off to my machinist for at least the axle turning portion of the work. 8)
Axle turning? why are going have to do that?

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Have you compared the spline pattern yet Luke? We know they're both 26-count, that's not the concern - it's the angle.
Brad
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

I know, I know, you have a different set up than I but with the Eaton lsd you didn't have to do that.
I know, I know, not everyone has the cash to get an Eaton I hope this works for you, man is that a hunk of steel.

Ben
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Have you compared the spline pattern yet Luke? We know they're both 26-count, that's not the concern - it's the angle.
Yes I have. With the passenger side bearing race removed (as pictured in my final photo in the opening post of the thread) I have direct access to the place that the splined portion plugs into. Like I stated earlier in response to John Vandlandingham's concern, was that the fit was every bit as good as factory... in fact there is no possible way that it could be better! I will attempt to get a pic today.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Here's a pic. It's blurry as hell, but you can kinda see how perfect the splines are.

BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

Or not. Use the Macro function. It's the flower looking button.
-Nate
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I did, but I think I may have moved the camara. You know how it is to work on something and take pictures at the same time. :?

Sorry, can't take another pic... everything has been dropped off at my machinist. I presented the problems, and he said he'll call me when the axles are turned down and the appropriate spacers are fabbed up. 8)
Tumbler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tumbler »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:I did, but I think I may have moved the camara. You know how it is to work on something and take pictures at the same time. :?

Sorry, can't take another pic... everything has been dropped off at my machinist. I presented the problems, and he said he'll call me when the axles are turned down and the appropriate spacers are fabbed up. 8)
This thread is so full of win Image
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

BRMXR4ti wrote: Axle turning? why are going have to do that?
Read from the beginning of the thread... I've already explained this. :)
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

My machinest wanted me to double check to make sure that none of the pieces within the differential are heat treated. They wouldn't be in my wildest imagination, due to the fact that they're all bathed in gear oil and shouldn't see more heat than any kind of metal can withstand, but just to comply with his request I thought I would get a second opinion. Anybody???