LS2 in a XR4 Underway /Pics Update...

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit »

This swap is a nice option for people who want to run an inexpensive strut tower brace and don't want to rotate their intake... :lol:

very nice work!!!
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

I got whats called a hot-rod ecu for my ls1 camaro, basically it doesn't read all the crap a stock car would, I got the ecu from sparecm off e-bay, just incase you don't have the computer yet, it was 125.00 shipped and no core.
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Brad
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:So when do you upgrade to this??? :twisted:

Next week..LOL

I wish. That motor puts out some good #s . Chevy has really got these LS series motors down. 427 c.i. small blocks that just crazy. And to think you had to go with custom blocks before, if you wanted that much c.i. I have a friend with a Motown block 434 c.i. small block. and the block alone is $3000

If anything I will get a Magnacharger.

Car is almost done. Just finished up wiring up stereo/ headlights/ installing side markers and hiding all the wiring.

I also just found out my gear ratios . 2.97 2.07 1.43 1.0 0.84 0.57

Looks as if i am going to take out my 4:10's alot sooner than I thought.
onebad7up
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onebad7up »

Yea. 4.10s are crazy. Post some vids once it is complete.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

LS2XR4 wrote:I also just found out my gear ratios . 2.97 2.07 1.43 1.0 0.84 0.57

Looks as if i am going to take out my 4:10's alot sooner than I thought.
Have you already got a 8.8 back there? I was about to suggest you might want more rear gear than that, momentarily forgetting what engine you had in there! :beats head

I'd get it going with whatever you've got, and use those ratios to figure out what you need. Bear in mind too, if you're going to run a 4.10 8.8, you'll want an overflow tank and probably some cooling.
Brad
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
LS2XR4 wrote:I also just found out my gear ratios . 2.97 2.07 1.43 1.0 0.84 0.57
Have you already got a 8.8 back there? I was about to suggest you might want more rear gear than that, momentarily forgetting what engine you had in there! :beats head

I'd get it going with whatever you've got
Yes already have 8.8. If you remember I was on the first Tim Roman beam run.

I plan on running it as is. and I already did gear ratio calculator and I am 1800 @ 65

although I would like to maybe go to 3:73 OR 3:90 depends on how bad my traction is.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

I think 4.10's with a 2.97 first gear would be ideal. I don't know, I just like banging gears, so I don't really care about what it's turning on the highway. My car is also a toy.

My 8.8 hasn't puked any fluid yet. I welded a piece of angle iron over the vent hole to prevent fluid from being splashed on it.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

BeefFajitas wrote:I think 4.10's with a 2.97 first gear would be ideal.
But again, let's not forget the engine that is now sitting up front. Brett, what are the ratios and weight of the Corvette and/or GTO?
BeefFajitas wrote:My 8.8 hasn't puked any fluid yet. I welded a piece of angle iron over the vent hole to prevent fluid from being splashed on it.
What ratio do you have in there? Have you had the car on a road course yet? I know DG and Cliff both had some significant temp and overflow issues at the track. David jokingly cursed the fact that he put a temp sensor in there, indicating that once he actually saw what kind of temps he had going on in there, he had to do something about it. I recall too that Jacek (aka Ghost) had overflow issues, although he somewhat blamed that on the Truetrack.
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Not to hijack but what's it take to put an 8.8 in back? Is it out of a Mustang? Narrowed?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:Not to hijack but what's it take to put an 8.8 in back? Is it out of a Mustang? Narrowed?
We're talking IRS 8.8, not solid axle. There should be detailed discussion and pics in here, although I realize searching on "8.8" is futile - try "differential". I know there's also detailed pics of DG's 8.8 swap in Anglin's Picture Pages.
Brad
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
BeefFajitas wrote:I think 4.10's with a 2.97 first gear would be ideal.
But again, let's not forget the engine that is now sitting up front. Brett, what are the ratios and weight of the Corvette and/or GTO?
BeefFajitas wrote:My 8.8 hasn't puked any fluid yet. I welded a piece of angle iron over the vent hole to prevent fluid from being splashed on it.
What ratio do you have in there? Have you had the car on a road course yet? I know DG and Cliff both had some significant temp and overflow issues at the track. David jokingly cursed the fact that he put a temp sensor in there, indicating that once he actually saw what kind of temps he had going on in there, he had to do something about it. I recall too that Jacek (aka Ghost) had overflow issues, although he somewhat blamed that on the Truetrack.
Does it really matter what engine it is? Banging gears is banging gears. I don't know, I've been able to experience a wide range of engines and trannys and rear end ratios and I always come back to prefering the short ratios. My buddies WS6, with T56 and 3.42 gears, is not that fun to me. If you redline first gear, you're going 50+ mph, which is speeding on all the back roads around here. That's boring to me.

No, I haven't tracked it. I'll put my IR temp gun on it the next time I take it out. Tim's cover had no baffling over the breather hole, so any splashing fluid could easily get on/in the hose. That's what I covered up with the angle iron, but it still has an opening to breath. I kinda put an open roof over it, if you will.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

BeefFajitas wrote:Does it really matter what engine it is?
Sure it does, as does vehicle weight. Both will have a direct reflection on how quickly the engine spins up. As you indicate, certainly personal preference/vehicle objective is a factor as well, so you can't really make a definitive statement one way or the other.
Brad
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

vette's weigh 3300lb, gto's weigh 3800lb, my xr 2900lb It going to be fun.
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
EVIL_XR4 wrote:Not to hijack but what's it take to put an 8.8 in back? Is it out of a Mustang? Narrowed?
We're talking IRS 8.8, not solid axle. There should be detailed discussion and pics in here, although I realize searching on "8.8" is futile - try "differential". I know there's also detailed pics of DG's 8.8 swap in Anglin's Picture Pages.

Ok yeah i was thinking a solid axle...i'm pretty sure i've seen the Cobra style 8.8.