The Golden 89 XR

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

The Golden 89 XR

Post by GeneticRehab »

Well I have been working on this car for a while. I have not gotten far due to over working myself. Lately I have been home due to knee surgery. So I started working on the upper half of the engine. Pictures below.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Nice! I love seeing others porting work! 8)
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

I have had this car for some time. In fact I really don't remember when I got it. My plans for the car as follows. Nice streetable car that I can auto cross sometimes. So I will start to put it back together. Here are the current pictures of the car as it stands.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I think I remember when you got it... wasn't that car a Carlisle give away?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

No its not. That car is the Grey 86 in my sig. The 89 was the car I was going to bring to that show. The trailer fell threw. Thats why it never got their. I did bring the 2005 xr4ti stang.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Oh I see.... never mind then! You know it's pure madness (or a lot of drugs) when you have a car that you can't remember when you bought it! :lol:
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

Well I was starting to test fit my bumper. Well I'm not pleased on the extra work I have to endure. I know I had to mod the sides of the fender. Never new about the inner stock bumper supports. Plus I wanted to see my wing fit to boot. I have to swap out the hatches next week. Here are some pictures.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Which bumper is that?
Brad
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

That is a new RS500 bumper :headbang
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

GeneticRehab wrote:Well I'm not pleased on the extra work I have to endure. I know I had to mod the sides of the fender. Never new about the inner stock bumper supports.
Grayson and I started work recently on an adapter to bolt an RS or RS500 front bumper to the XR4Ti. There will still be minor cutting below the fenders, as you know, since the Euro bumper and US bumpers mount to the car in a completely different fashion, but the idea is to make it as direct of an installation as possible - close to bolt on.

I don't have any pictures yet, but if you look in my "racer build" thread you'll see me suffering the same pain you are. Here's a link to page 4 of that thread:

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 0&start=45
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

Cool. You know Chris that my bumper's opening is a lot wider than the standard cossy bumper. I will measure it and post my sizes. If you could. Post the width of the opening in your bumper. I will post some pictures of the back of the bumper for reference.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
86XR4Ti_John
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 86XR4Ti_John »

Nice work on that lower Jason :)
John

86 Xr, lowered, cossie rear sway bar, wheels, intercooled, big vam, PE superchip.
91 Talon TSi, well modified, 5spd all wheel drive, runs 11's.
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

i'd definately smooth out the casting in the cumbustion head around the valves and make it smooth. and as far as i'm concerned you can port pretty much as much as you want and with a stock cam its still works really great. Very beautiful work though.
- Jon
1987 Stealth Interceptor (XR)
1971 Chevy Nova
1992 Audi 80 Quattro
1978 F150 "Death Truck"
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The Golden 89 XR

Post by GeneticRehab »

Waking from the dead. I still have the car an will start working on it at the end of June.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The Golden 89 XR

Post by GeneticRehab »

I will post or re-post old pictures. Currently plans are to freshen up engine and put MS as the ecu. Clean up the engine bay. I have a lot of parts waiting for the car.

Goals:
Whole new IRS. Fabricate and IRS with adjustable toe and camber. I want the rear tires to to travel with minimal camber change. I'm completely ditching the oem set up.

Possible whole new front suspension and engine cradle. If not, whole new lower control arm design.

Set the car up for possible ls3 swap.

Clean up interior and dash. Most likely remove all oem gauges and put in after market set up.

Make plans for fuel system.

RS500 wings and bumpers. Cosworth grill and lights. Arches I have not decided, because I'm contemplating pulling out the fenders and quarters for wider tires.

This will start after I get the 86 xr ready for sale.