Pacwest's Merkur v3.0

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

demonfire wrote:I want more details on brake bias please.
Remove the silly rear anti lock brake valve. Install a brake bias knob. Punch out the top knob and install a wilwood brake balance bar cable. 3/8 fine thread screw on. You can tap and die the mating pieces and then loctite them as I did. I was going to pin them but this is on so tight now. I need to install the know in the dash next. I have an aluminum plate that goes where the clock etc was, but my dash is out getting a touch up on it from the upholstery guy. Maybe next week I'll mount the knob.

pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Mounted my 92 Tempo trans cooler as a power steering cooler. Made the bracket, polished it etc. Didn't bother with overbraid this time. I might upgrade it down the road.

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

how hot does the power steering fluid get?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

No idea. But I had to make a new cooler to get around the big fitting you see sticking out of the rad. No room for the stock one and the front mount sway bar.

Ford had the cooler there. They must have thought there was some extra heat in the fluid. With the way I drive and the new rack, ultra wide rubber....cool power steering fluid is not a bad idea.
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Part numbers for the brake bias mod:

Here are the parts to do it:

Knob for the cabin:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Valve for the engine bay:

http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/discbrakes.html

Alternate valve:

http://www.eurom-sport.com/motorsport/b ... d_112.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63020/10002/-1

The newer valves appear to have a knob that comes off easier than mine did. Had to use a drift and a hammer to get mine off. My valve is a couple years old.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

demonfire wrote:how hot does the power steering fluid get?
Thought I threw a data point into this thread. I've seen 165° F between heats in the paddock at an autocross with the stock "cooling system" in place, ambient temps in the upper 70s or low 80s. With an actual finned cooler (cheapo transmission fluid cooler), I've seen temps around 120° during normal city driving, ambient temps around 70° F.

FWIW, pump pressure can get north of several hundred psi momentarily at the lock, based on conversations I've had with people who have designed power steering systems for vehicles.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Some recent additions. Hard lined my heater pipes on the head/thermostat. Added my 2 step/launch control buttons to my steering wheel. Added some silly little aircraft switch. I hate that if I stall it I have to turn the computer off and on. I'll add the switch to the starter circuit tomorrow. Mounted the dash earlier this week and the lower dash can go in now that my brake bias knob and boost valve are mounted. I put gauges in the dash but didn't take a pic. Boost, oil pressure and oil temp in bar and Celsius.

John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

demonfire wrote:how hot does the power steering fluid get?
The pump makes about 75 Bar, or about 1125psi.
Oil gets hot when pumped up to 1125psi.

The fact OEMs put those cheap ass rudimentary coolers says there is obviously some need.
The fact that Ford Motorsport put on a bigger, good "end tank" style says more. If iy weren't a worthwhile thing for FUNCTION as opposed to life-span of parts they'd same the weight, clutter and plumbing and simply swap out the rack more often.
They run a cooler and filter.

And talk directly with those who rebuild the things OEMs design at a re-manufacturer level and they'll say more or less this: At elevated temps the system makes, aggravated by low oil, liiiiiiitttle tiny crystals for as the oil cooks, and those crystals are abrasive compared to nice slick oil. The get under the teflon O rings in the pinion housing which on OEM racks run teflon on aluminum and the little microscopic roasted oil crstals gnaw on the aluminum. Eventually there'll be internal leaks in the pinion housing and loss of assist.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Duly noted John. 1125psi is insane.

Pac - any more further out pictures? I want to see more. :)

And you probably have more money in russell fittings than... well you have a lot.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Just a couple shots from tonight as I wound up the evening's work.

Bear in mind this started out as a grey 85 "checker" cloth interior.

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

WANT.... man that looks like pure sex. nice.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

I skimmed through this thread, really amazingly nice work!

I love your photography! i read earlier that you were using a fish eye lens. Are you using one in the interior shots? and separate lighting as well?
jay_tibo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jay_tibo »

Tha looks real good nice and clean, did you use a special paint for the dash? I did this on one of my cars and it looked great for a year or so then the constant contracting because of weather changes started to chip all the paint.
Jeremie Thibeault
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

Dude...You need to update this :lol:
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Pacwest's Merkur v3.0

Post by pacwest »

Update. lol?

My pic links are all dead, but I'm not. Life got in the way. Divorce. Lost my step sister to cancer. That was all ten years ago. Car went into mothballs. I got into restoring bikes and really just put my car on the back burner and turned it off. I plan on reviving this thread and I'm sure glad I documented a lot of this. I've forgotten half this stuff. I just put a deal together to get the paint done and I'm ready to fire this thing up over the winter. Another 3750 days delay on this project.

I'll keep you posted on how this goes and I'll try to go back and edit the links so all my pictures work.

Glad to be back, I'd like to get this hot rod rolling. I've learned a lot about fabrication and CAD over the last decade and hope to really tidy this car up. I have much better fab equipment and a 3d printer now.

I hope John v is still around. He has my cossie motor! lol.

So, what did I miss? Anything new out there for these cars?