Pacwest's Merkur v3.0

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
pacwest wrote:I always shoot in full manual mode. :)
Hardcore. :headbang
He is a pro, after all.
Stephen
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

I think your XR is one of my favorite cars Mr. Hollister. You do some pretty good work both inside and underneath the car.
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Thank you sir. I go about the car and find things that I am totally embarrassed to say I did myself. I don't dare show anyone how my vents are attached. A fix is in the works when it warms up a bit.

I really have to balance the detail with getting it back on the road. There is nothing stopping me from just working on it forever and never driving it. Except common sense.

This old girl deserves to really be punished. She's been a naughty girl and now that she's all tarted up she's gonna get a whipping.

Looking forward to complaining about my tire budget. Alas though, I foresee another project coming in the spring that could even top this.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

my god man you probably have more money in russell fittings and stainless braided line than i have in my entire car!

I have a focus powersteering reservoir somewhere kickin' around.... unless i gave it away. i probably gave it away.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

(voice of David Hobbs)

"Now that's 'ow a Mehkooah engine room ought t' look!" :cheers
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Hey Jason, this looks like something right up your alley.
http://www.isispower.com/index.html
Stephen
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

That's some serious candy...
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Takes all the high power wiring out of the dash . . . just 1 buss line and 1 power feed to the back . . . eliminate 90% of the 20yr old harness . . . and built-in vehicle immobilizer.
Stephen
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Boiled the windscreen washer tank in bleach/water tonight. TheBronze helped me out by polishing some bits of it as well. Painted the bracket with good ole Tremclad. I'm amazed at how much of this car I've let get dirty and neglected over the years. Kevin chuckles at it. Car looks good in pictures but up close you see my haste over the years.

So yeah, the tank looks new, the bracket painted up fine. I have the pump here and just tested it (OK) and will need to paint it as well before I put it all back together tomorrow. Have to do this so that I can guesstimate where the PAS pump will go.

Right now the tank is sitting in the dishwasher getting a workover. Just to make it REALLY clean. Install that tomorrow, fab my PAS pump bracket and find out why the EEC computer is bonkers. It's getting close to firing it up...
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Today:

Took out my brake bias valve and hammered the knob off the top and installed a summit racing balance bar knob on it. Had to turn it on the lath and reseal it. So yes, I have an in dash brake bias knob now.

Dummy mounted a 92 tempo trans cooler in place of the stock PAS cooler since the stock cooler now won't fit with my new rad and the Aeroquip fitting coming off it. Not that cooling power steering fluid is a big deal, but it was a good junkyard find. Dummy fit will turn into fitted when I get two 90deg fittings for it to hug the chassis rails out of the way and looking clean. Ran out of aluminum flat bar today so I couldn't mount it proper. Friday!

Been getting lots done lately. Car runs, fuel pressure, engine is almost back and tidied. Very excited.

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I want more details on brake bias please.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Those will have far better pics. Might do that today...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

pacwest wrote:Dummy mounted a 92 tempo trans cooler in place
No Volvos to be found a the junkyard? :P

That Tempo one looks about the same size as the Volvo one I have (whatever the hell it's original function was). The nice thing about the Volvo one is that it's got eight 6mm captive nuts built in (two on each corner), so you wouldn't neccessarily need to fab' a bracket to mount it. No biggie - seems like you've got a plan.

But where's the nipples on that Tempo cooler? Usually I'm pretty good at finding those. :twisted:
Brad
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

$#!%^& camera has blown them out. Hot spots on the lower corners.

Not sure I'll hard line them or use a 90deg fitting to tuck it out of the way. Hard line might be easier with the 8mm nipples. Won't know until I get to the big wall of fittings at Lordco.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Ooops. wrong thread.
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!