My Build Thread: Project "Rain Cloud"

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Re: My Build Thread: Project "Rain Cloud"

Post by nathankershaw » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Awesome!

Good work!
The stable is empty...

cmouta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cmouta » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 am

Nice job on that exhaust and the vband at the end! Should make dropping the rear end that much easier if you ever need to. Apologies if its been discussed but did you notice better drivability when you switched from BOV to BPV? For instance I get alot of stumble when cruising if I let off throttle say 50%, blow off, then give 60% throttle. Or maybe that's a function of VAM/BOV combo?
Chris
2013 Nero Fiat 500C Abarth
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti
1974 VW Thing
2006 Bajaj Chetak 4T w/ sidecar

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Chris, it's the nature of the VAM and a little bit of BOV. Switching to a BPV wont help much. Switch to a MAP sensor based standalone and you'll never see it again. -=o)

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I always wondered why you prefer more rake on the car for autox? doesnt it make the rear end real light under braking?

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks all! I'll try to throw a few pics up later, but I put 100 miles on the car over the holiday weekend! Car drove fantastic and had a great time, even in the heat. Good shakedown run and building confidence in the car as it sits now.

Chris, ditto what Jeff said. The VAM is causing the issues mostly. If the valve is venting and you're not fully off, you'll be going rich which is causing the stumble. A BPV would help, but then you run into the issue where the air venting can push the VAM door closed and cause a lean condition...and a stumble. Speed density really is the fix, or going with a blow-through VAM or MAF setup.

Jeff, regarding the rake I honestly am not too sure. I really need to get some seat time (AND EXPERIENCE!!) racing the car to see if the back end is too light or not under braking.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:05 pm

It has been far too long since I updated this thread. Need to organize 3 years of photos and get to posting updates. All the old pictures have been re-hosted the best that I can. Some are gone unfortunately.

Lots of updates to post, which is a good thing :headbang
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS