My Build Thread: Project "Rain Cloud"

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Re: My Build Thread: Project "Rain Cloud"

Post by nathankershaw » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Awesome!

Good work!
1987 Merkur XR4Ti autotragic (which will change)

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 am

Nice job on that exhaust and the vband at the end! Should make dropping the rear end that much easier if you ever need to. Apologies if its been discussed but did you notice better drivability when you switched from BOV to BPV? For instance I get alot of stumble when cruising if I let off throttle say 50%, blow off, then give 60% throttle. Or maybe that's a function of VAM/BOV combo?
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Chris, it's the nature of the VAM and a little bit of BOV. Switching to a BPV wont help much. Switch to a MAP sensor based standalone and you'll never see it again. -=o)

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I always wondered why you prefer more rake on the car for autox? doesnt it make the rear end real light under braking?

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks all! I'll try to throw a few pics up later, but I put 100 miles on the car over the holiday weekend! Car drove fantastic and had a great time, even in the heat. Good shakedown run and building confidence in the car as it sits now.

Chris, ditto what Jeff said. The VAM is causing the issues mostly. If the valve is venting and you're not fully off, you'll be going rich which is causing the stumble. A BPV would help, but then you run into the issue where the air venting can push the VAM door closed and cause a lean condition...and a stumble. Speed density really is the fix, or going with a blow-through VAM or MAF setup.

Jeff, regarding the rake I honestly am not too sure. I really need to get some seat time (AND EXPERIENCE!!) racing the car to see if the back end is too light or not under braking.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:05 pm

It has been far too long since I updated this thread. Need to organize 3 years of photos and get to posting updates. All the old pictures have been re-hosted the best that I can. Some are gone unfortunately.

Lots of updates to post, which is a good thing :headbang
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Reading through this thread makes me want to get moving on my cars. Major slacking over here. Major slacking. I do have some nice parts collected maybe I will take a picture of those. Nice build :D
You're only as good as the last car you build.

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 am

STILL need to post pics, but finally upgraded from the MS1/LA3 combo I was running, to go full standalone with the Stinger PimpX. What a difference. I had some wiring issues which I believe damaged the LA3 (still controlled IAC, coil dwell, fuel pump). I fixed the wiring, but the car ran like complete crap. No IAC control, and didn't confirm, but sounded like it was no longer advancing timing.

Ripped it all out, threw in the MS3 with the base map and it fired right up. Drove the car 60 miles last weekend...which is 3x as much as the car has seen in the last TWO years. Felt great and with the car now on Bilstein B8s and stopping with Wilwoods up front...it's fantastic. Feels really well sorted.

If I could do this car all over again, I would mod in this order:

- All bushings & diff mount
- GOOD dampers and springs
- Bigger wheels to fit proper front brakes, and sticky rubber
- Upgrade front brakes to a fixed caliper, and convert rears to discs
- PimpX(s)
- Then whatever power mods you desire
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS