My Build Thread: Project "Rain Cloud"

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Re: My Build Thread: Project "Rain Cloud"

Post by hEaT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 pm

The fade actually. I've broken them in and I've had a few panic moments at autox where I've stomped the pedal and gotten nothing.

This is on a fresh rebuilt master, fresh fluid, stainless lines and lines bled well. I was going to try the Hawk HP+. I have the HPS on the daily Focus and love them.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Front bushings are in less the swaybar clamp bushings. I need to find some of the later style to buy.

TCA out, giving the sleeve hell with an air chisel:

All out:

Freshened up and ready to go!

In car:

Upper strut bushings are done as well. Rear kit is on order from mc2.

This is how bad the outer TCA was...nut is tight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e702NuquEi0

Also, de-powered my steering rack:

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=22792
Last edited by hEaT on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:00 am

Some work over the past week. With the front bushings being done less the sway clams (waiting for the correct brackets from a later car), the rears had to be done. Parts going in: 875lb Hyperco springs, solid beam mounts, nylon STA bushings, solid diff mount, rear brake hoses, axle bolts (6mm allen to replace the T40s) all thanks to mc2racing and Ray for the springs.

Removing the rear beam assembly:

Out! (HEAVY!)

Vacuum caps held fluid in for a week. Didn't even feel mushy when putting everything back in. Definitely beats leaking fluid

Inside to get some work done

STAs separated, diff out

The quality of the fasteners on this car, daily driven for 66k miles in MA since 1985. Wish the Focus was half this nice

Matt and Ted stopped by. We had beer. Wheel spacers hold beer well

Installing the solid beam mounts. Used the old bushing cut in half to locate the sleeve and plate

Top plate welded in

Pressing in nylon STA bushings

Done!

Ready for the car. Diff is out to make it lighter and easier to install

Going back in car

With the non-saggy rear of the car, needed to re-clearance the tunnel for the T5 driveshaft

Also had a chance to race last Sunday with CART. First time all year and first time running on all new bushings and rear springs. VERY easy to spin this car around. Really need to pay attention to the right foot now, but the car transitions much better when changing direction. Positive note, didn't even notice the manual steering the entire time. Hard to even tell in the video, but was at full opposite lock a good 4-5 times correcting slides. I surprised myself catching the slide at the bottom of the downhill. Really took what should have been a mostly straight line and turned...a lot. Oh well, at least the car is finally able to perform well above my driving skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCA2b3fqt9Y

Only got 2 runs in though. 1st run my boost guage line blew off the vacuum t behind the dash. Since the MS also uses the same t, I lost boost reference which caused the car to lean out a lot in boost and killed power for 2nd half of the run. 2nd run was the spin and video above. After getting back to the pits I noticed my fuel gauge had broken and was spraying fuel. Gauge is now removed and plugged, but shut me down for the rest of the day.

Working on hanging the exhaust now. It was sagging and with the car being lower, it became an issue.

And one of my buddies bought this and had it shipped to me, how fitting :lol:
Last edited by hEaT on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Did some re-work of the exhaust today. She's been around, but still works fine for now. Got the lowest section up a few inches which helped a lot with the rear being lower. Also got the side pipe to fit much better with the notch Ray put in lining up with the frame rail.

Still hanging it here

First test fit, all welded and clamps tightened

Following just show the clearance and also for my reference for where the hangers are

Pic of some of the new suspension parts:

Last edited by hEaT on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:14 am

What did you have to change on the exhaust?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 am

Ray wrote:What did you have to change on the exhaust?
My downpipe ends in a different spot than yours (more centered under the car) so I had to add 4" between the main exhaust pipe and notch that you had cut. I brought the tail pipe closer to the bumper by cutting and raising that hanger and it also keeps it farther from the fuel tank. I noticed it was rubbing and had melted a section away of the plastic shield. I trimmed that part of the shield off and now have a good 3-4" of clearance from the metal of the tank and a few inches from the floor and tire.

I also played with the angle on my downpipe too, making it fit closer to the tunnel. It's great having the ability to rotate it on the turbo and also the vband a few inches down to angle the rest.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Couple updates.

Pic of the mc2 solid diff mount. Installed this a few weeks ago, but never snagged a pic. Beautiful piece. Worth the price JUST to allow the rear of the car to be raised by the diff, nevermind the performance.

Playing with the Konis. Adding some rebound to the rear (was on full soft before). Car is NOT supported by that rear stand. Such a pain to adjust. Makes me appreciate the set on the Focus that are all adjustable from the top.

Figured out some odd electrical issues...guess last time I had the alt out I neglected to hook up THE MAIN FRIGGEN GROUND STRAP. Luckily there are a few others I had added, but this was is still pretty damn important. Oops.

Also, "stanced" the car. The rear looked stupid with how low it was. Without getting shorter front springs, there was no way I could even it. Also, limiting the travel even further in the front was not something I was going to live with. I added a second spring isolator to raise the back up. Much better height and car sits even now, slight rake to the front as it should.

Started playing with the seats too. Driver's side seat bracket removed from the seat and removing the factory height adjustment. They are hardneded rivets. Carbide bur to remove the rivet head and air hammer to break it free.

Also welded, tagged these with the 045 and came off no problem.

Playing with seat position (multiple holes). Will probably make a final bracket with single set of holes when I get the seat right where I want it. Now that I have all the measurements it's pretty quick. Have plenty of 2x1/8" flat stock after drunken trip through Home Depot (no, I did not drive) and purchased 12' of it.

New seat mounted. Corbeau LG1. Passenger mount will be done in the coming weeks. Stains are just water since it was raining.

Also, noticed the car leaks from the cowl under HEAVY rain. Cause was two fold, one being a spare rag I keep near the fuse box blocking one of the main drains and my speedo cable grommet being BEAT. Fixed the rag issue and will look into the grommet before next rainfall.
Last edited by hEaT on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 am

Drunken home depot trips = :haha
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Ray wrote:Drunken home depot trips = :haha
It's even more fun that is sounds :lol:

Small update -

Finished up some of the seat install. I will be re-doing the driver's side bracket to gain some more adjustment. Right now the seat adjusted out fully and I would like a bit more room. I'll need to weld something up rather than just bolt to the rail. Passenger side, pictured below, will stay as-is.

Installed:

Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Some autocross videos and pictures. Car was very capable this event, I just need to work on my driving. I over exaggerate the line I feel like and end up leaving a few seconds due to the sloppiness. Driver mods!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm5kG0ggM7E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAa0lIXre9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW-3wc_Rd3I :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAbi3T5P-0
Last edited by hEaT on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Had some time to fix the seat. Brought the mount back a few inches which gained enough adjustment.

Tacking the extensions to test fitment in car

Love some deep penetration

Holes filled and seamed across the top. Welding with .030 flux core so not so atheistically pleasing

Seamed on the bottom as well

Bolted to the seat. Had to notch the adjustment lever to clear the hardware and also use a different washer to retain adjustment.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Hey Joe,

The Youtube vid's you look like your on it, very good. That 90* right hander, is that what you talking about brake fade it look as though you miss that right hand turn more then once. Or was that a combination of the brakes and the no power steering rack?

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:26 pm

DSPXR4ti wrote:Hey Joe,

The Youtube vid's you look like your on it, very good. That 90* right hander, is that what you talking about brake fade it look as though you miss that right hand turn more then once. Or was that a combination of the brakes and the no power steering rack?

Ben
Thanks Ben.

The right hander coming back down the hill was just inexperience. I was focusing too much on the last gate of the slalom rather than looking ahead to the right hander and coming onto the brakes. One time it locked up a bit, but same reason.

When driving out there I honestly forget the rack isn't powered. I'd be interested in driving the car with some decent-size rcomps and see if the feeling is still the same.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Playing with the tune a lot this weekend. It's not perfect, it never will be perfect, but fixed a big portion of the fuel table. Despite it not looking smooth, it's what the car likes to hit the target AFRs I have. Still needs some fine tuning, but I spent most of the time on part throttle cruise up to 3000rpm which is what the car mostly sees. Did a few 2nd gear pulls to hit WOT tuning as well. It was pretty rich, near 11:1 or so on spool, leaning to my target 12:! at 18-20psi. Was able to get spool to slowly ramp from the 14:1 around 100kpa to 12:1 at full boost. Car feels much stronger with the leaner spool, no pinging.

Also been having an issue with lean starts after a hot start due to heatsoak. Played with the air density table after reading some guidance on Miata Turbo. I started off by reversing what is coded into the MS based on the ideal gas law. This ended up being a happy medium that kept AFRs south of 15:1 under hot starts (IATs over 100*). Correction runs until 2000rpm and starts tapering at 1500rpm. I may lower that to keep out of adjusting fuel while the car is actually driving. Maybe taper at 1200, done at 1600.

Will scale this better (no need for the 100% values there) when I have a chance.

Nothing new under the hood really. Threw on some new plug wires and DEI boot protectors. #3 had separated at the crimp a few times and the wires were on the car from 5 years ago. Didn't hurt to replace.

Need to figure out what happened with my valve cover breather as well. Randomly came close and now won't stay tight in the cover. It leaks...a lot of oil. Haven't decided if I want to figure out a way to make the current breather more secure with an o-ring or similar or just tap it for an AN line and run it to a can.
Last edited by hEaT on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

andrew626

Post by andrew626 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:20 pm

nice merkur man. question for you where are you finding all the parts to mod it? Im thinking of buying one and im having a hard time looking for aftermarket parts.