kyles build/question thread with many pics.

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

kyles build/question thread with many pics.

Post by xr super n00b »

so i just picked up this xr a few weeks ago, and its finally starting to get warm so i decided the building and repairing must start. before i start the repairing though, i had a few questions. ive been looking around the site at other peoples engine bays, and they have stock engine parts that i dont. and i want to know if im gonna blow my engine soon if i dont replace these parts. i wasnt sure what they were called so i took a pic of my hand pointing where the part should be. so far the only thing that i have done to the car is made my own manual boost controller, and cleaned the spaghetti of wiring mess from under the carpet. everything else was half assed by the first 2 owners and i plan to fix it all very soon. unfortunatly i am limited to working on the car to just friday and sunday because im in the police academy until november. heres how the car sits right now.

the car does need some minor body work and surface rust repair

rattle canned by previous owner, have no clue why

wing got the same treatment as the front with some custom overspray all over the hatch

the pods are about to fall off

IC and some random honda piping with a greddy knockoff.

ok heres one of my questions. a lot of engine pics ive seen, there is a fitting here which goes to some plumbing to what appears to be a stock bypass valve. my car doesnt have any of that and this hole has a plug in it. what is it for?

8 dollar homemade boost controller, works like a charm.

power steering leak and i need a steering boot

and lastly, what are these 2 fittings for that are capped off?

ill have more pics and updates as i work on the car, thanx for looking and thanx in advance for any help you guys give me.
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

Do you have enough clamps on the turbo to throttle body hose??
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

well the stock rubber thing was cut in half, again, no clue why, so theres a small section of exhaust tube there, so it needs 2 clamps on each side lol. im just gonna leave it for now cause as soon as i get my saab radiator, im gonna be mounting the IC i have and using w/e of the honda plumbing i can.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

The 2 capped off fittings at the front of the turbo inlet are normal. Comes stock like that on a car that does not have cruise control.

Also the allen plug in the turbo discharge tube is factory normal as well. Crusie control equipped cars have a junction block that threads in there.
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

^ wooh, thats a relief. i thought i was missing something important.
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

ok so when i got the car it was only hitting 8psi, so thats why i made the BC and i read not to turn it up past 15 until i get it intercooled. so i turned it up to about 13/14 and now im getting a slight whine from my turbo along with the whistle, is this normal?
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

ok so i did my VC gasket today and got the motorcraft pcv valve. let me just vent a bit about the previous owner.....some poeple shouldnt be aloud to own a car. 2 of the bolts for the upper intake were finger loose, all of the VC bolts were finger loose, and one of the spark plugs was loose. now when i say finger loose, i dont mean like i did a 1/4 turn with the wrench...no. i mean like i took all these bolts off with no wrench...so after i was fluttered about that, then i discovered that the FPR was cracked. so i bypassed it for now and will get a new one tomorrow, that might have contributed to my horrible gas miliage. but the weird thing is that ive havent smelled gas since i go the car. and the VC gasket that was on there was cork, so that was fun to get off. so most of today was a bad day, but there was some good news, the inside of the head was super clean. no goo or coals. and now all the flat black spray painted stuff is taken care of. a HUGE thanks to andrew on here, and your dad, for helping me swap those parts over. so heres some pics of what i did today.

new red parts

motor before it went under the scalpul

pool of oil on the lower intake from the VC being so loose

part number for the gasket in case anyone was wondering. 41 bucks at lincoln

figured since i had it off, make it look nice, its actually red but the lighting makes it look orange.

xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

i forgot something. ive checked everything, connections and all. now that ive done the VC gasket, my rad fan wont kick on. any thoughts?
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

There's a sensor on the lower intake for the fan circuit. It's looking for a ground. Does the fan come on when you push your fan switch in? (this is how the AC turns on, but functions as a handy fan on switch as well.)
If that's not it, and it's not the fan that's actually died, there's 2 relays on the inner fender, near the washer fluid reservoir. One for the front condenser fan, the other is for the rad fan. Try swapping the harness between the 2 relays.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

alright ill have to look, where on the lower intake? and what are the 2 little brown clips that plug together on that harness behind the TB for?
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

got the fan working.

ford doesnt know the part number for my fuel pressure regulator, i thought that was kinda weird. so ill have to do some searching to find out what FPR will work for my car. right now i have it bypassed, and it doesnt seem to be doing any damage except making the car run a little hotter than normal. but ill have to locate one quick.

and now that its actually been sunny for once, i got around to waxing it. and for andrew, this is how good the hood and the hatch turned out. the hatch still needs a little more work but for the most part, just washing off the mold made it look 10X better, and then the wax shined it up.

heres the before and after of the hatch

and the rest of the car

ya i know i still need to get the spraypaint off the running lights
but the grill turned out nice
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

edit: what i thought was the pressure regulator is actually the pulse dampner. so is it bad that i have that bypassed?
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

I was coming to post that you can not bypass the FPR. It'll be fine with the pulse dampner bypassed. Your parts guy must suck. All fpr's are the same base number (9C968.) The dampner has long been discontinued.
Last edited by SARON81 on Wed May 19, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

and for andrew, this is how good the hood and the hatch turned out. the hatch still needs a little more work but for the most part, just washing off the mold made it look 10X better, and then the wax shined it up.
I thought that the mold gave it character, but to each his own. :lol:
I was really impressed with how much the hood improved and it's good to see that you had similar results with the grill and hatch. It looks like a completely different car.
-Andrew Aul
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

SARON81 wrote:I was coming to post that you can not bypass the FPR. It'll be fine with the pulse dampner bypassed. Your parts guy must suck. All fpr's are the same base number (9C968.) The dampner has long been discontinued.
ok. that puts me at ease then. and now that ive bypassed it, my car seems to run a little better. and i dont get that studdering at cruising speed on the highway anymore
aaul00 wrote:
I thought that the mold gave it character, but to each his own. :lol:
I was really impressed with how much the hood improved and it's good to see that you had similar results with the grill and hatch. It looks like a completely different car.
it deffinatly does. now that all those black parts have been replaced, it doesnt look like such a piece of crap. next weekend my project is cleaning all that baked on oil gunk from my engine bay. i started today and said the hell with it, i need some scotch bright wheels