Early 88 Merkur Scorpio Restoration Project

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Early 88 Merkur Scorpio Restoration Project

Post by In XS 7 »

I am so sorry to hear that Darren.
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Were you parked near Ferguson with an I Support My Local Police sticker on the rear window?

YMMV ; <(
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
thattg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thattg »

Sounds like an insurance claim. Maybe you will not have to do any of the work???
88 Scorpio
Red/Black
Father Adam
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Father Adam »

That's bad luck Darren, hope it gets sorted for you soon though :cheers
1989 Ford Granada Scorpio

http://adamsgranadablog.weebly.com/

FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

Thanks for the encouragement. Liability only on the insurance. I got the replacement window put in this morning. I will file a police report today. Guess I will not leave anything in the car like that again.
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Sorry to hear that. Had a car break in myself yesterday. I only lost $1.75 in quarters luckily...
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

After 3 hours of vacuuming broken glass and installing new glass, the car is almost as good as new. One small section of the window trim is buggered up, but not as bad as it could have been.

Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

My Scorpio hit a milestone today. On the way to the upholstery shop to drop off the headliner for new trimmings, the car hit 100,000 miles. It has definitely been an adventure so far.

I rescued her in June, 2008, after being abandoned in a neighborhood outside Houston, TX. It was non running, and no title. A guy who lived in that neighborhood posted it on the MCA forum, at first trying to sell it, but then, just asking someone to rescue it before the cops towed it away. I talked the wife into another "project" and took a tow dolly, and the kids, for a road trip. I towed it all the way back to Kansas before I realized I should have first checked to see if it was stolen. Luckily after a few phone calls with a police officer from the town in Texas, I wasn't on the lamb, so I applied for a bonded title in Texas, got it, filed in Kansas, and away I went. It had 72,000 miles on it then. The non-running status was a bad PIP sensor. So untold hours later, many calls and texts, to Jeff Herson plus many more people, and a decent monetary investment, has seen the Scorpio steadily get restored. I am down to repainting the car and some minor interior work. It is now a 5-speed, again thanks to Jeff, and the A/C finally works. I am looking forward to the next 100,000 miles!

On the trip back from Texas almost got caught up in a hailstorm in Oklahoma. That would have been a real bummer!

The beginning:

The work:

The Transmission Swap!

Not Good!

Just waiting to be painted now :)

Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

:cheers Congrats!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Look forward to seeing you and the car in Carlisle in 3 months!
Brad
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Look forward to seeing you and the car in Carlisle in 3 months!
I am working hard to get there this year!
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Great job Darren, you had accomplice a lot and the car looks great. :cheers
Last edited by In XS 7 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

Made some more progress this week. Took the headliner from the parts car, got it cleaned up, and delivered to the upholstery shop. I found time yesterday to get it installed. What a difference a new headliner makes! Best $80 I have spent in awhile :)

Before:

Side by side outside of car. The torn up one, which came out of the Black Scorpio was more like paper Mache, sitting in the sun for a decade, abandoned, was not good on the vehicle.

I was actually a little worried that I had picked too dark of a color, but in the bright sunlight, I picked out a lighter color. Oh well, it looks nice :headbang

Installed in the car:

Only had a couple of small casualties. The driver's side A-pillar cover got cracked as well as a passenger side rear piece. Not too noticeable.

Now, I just need to learn how to paint!
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

In an unrelated note, looks like I am replacing the passenger side CV Half shaft again soon. The boot ripped out on the outer bearing. Luckily I bought it from O'reilly Auto Parts and is under warranty. I changed to the Alan head bolts last time, so hopefully this time will be drama free!
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

These are the days thru the hour glass
Jeff