An XR changes hands, my new 86

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
rommaster2
Level 2
Level 2

An XR changes hands, my new 86

Post by rommaster2 »

So last friday (the 11th) I finally acquired my first XR4ti courtesy of Thedrill who sold me his white 86. I will say this thing is pretty dang clean for a car its age and definetly a survivor. Apart from a few mods its pretty much just waiting for me to start making it my own.

Mods already done
t3\t4 hybrid (.50 cold side i believe)
full 3 inch exhaust (never realised how big that is till i saw it)
t5 swap, i still need to address the driveshaft vibrations but that will happen within the next two months.
LA3 computer
Small VAM installed for now but the big vams in the trunk waiting for me to tune it.

It made the drive from LA to Sacramento and got about 26mpg which i was quite happy with. Right as i got to sac the oil line for the turbo burst so i had to make on of those on monday and now i finally have it up in chico. THe boost is limited right now to 10psi but its still a rocket. I've only really romped on it a couple times so far but every time it has shocked me how hard it pulls once the boost hits.

I plan on tuning and installing the big VAM, then intercooling it (probably a side mount volvo one i have laying around for now) just so i can up it to 15 lbs of boost and from there I would like to upgrade the suspension with bigger sway bars and then stiffer shocks and springs most likely going with mc2 coilovers up front for more tire clearance and then some koni yellows to match in the back. After all thats done i plan on cosworth body parts, but thats probably two years down the road.

Here are some pics of the body at my work today up on the rack

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Well hey, congrats and Welcome Aboard! Nice car-- sounds like you're just the one to keep it surviving-- and thriving.

Please, just take your time, read a lot, and ask a lot of questions. We enjoy helping each other out. 8)
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thedrill
Level 4
Level 4

xr

Post by thedrill »

Hey Kyle,

Glad your happy with her, unfortunate about the turbo feed pipe cracking on your drive home :( .. but its the longest drive shes encountered since I owned her, she had to shed some tears after leaving me..lol.

Take care and good luck mate.
Russ
Stable is vacant..
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Glad we could keep an XR on the west coast. Its an addicting car once you start to mod it. Enjoy!
BuzzBomb2.3
Level 3
Level 3

Re: An XR changes hands, my new 86

Post by BuzzBomb2.3 »

rommaster2 wrote:LA3 computer
Small VAM installed for now but the big vams in the trunk waiting for me to tune it.
Wait a min, LA3 and small VAM? How did you get that to work?
rommaster2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rommaster2 »

honestly you've got me but its working *shrug*

it does have an idle issue (idles high with the IAC plugged in) but if i let her warm up shes fine and will idle all day. I suspect its partly to do with the small VAM, but won't know till i swap em out and that will be next week when i have a day off that I can work on her as i don't feel like messing with it in the work parking lot and finding out she won't fire.

Also i like to pretend the oil line was a test for me to see how it felt about its new owner. Add it all up to the fact it burst like right at my stopping point for the night (girlfriends house).
2.3lnoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2.3lnoob »

Your xr looks clean! Hopefully can see it in person soon. :)
rommaster2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rommaster2 »

Yeah we'll have to get together sometime and show each other our xr's. I think we're the only two in chico
2.3lnoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2.3lnoob »

ya im pretty sure we are. i saw one mid last year and tried to find out where it was but i think they sold it.