My 87 XR, B234f+he351ve+t5, etc etc(moved from merkursport)

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Re: My 87 XR, B234f+he351ve+t5, etc etc(moved from merkurspo

Post by wicked93gs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Installed the manifold and wastegate..hopefully for the last time...with my SS stud set...too bad the picture is so crappy
Used some brake line to fab up a temp oil feed line...will eventually replace it with a braided SS line so I probably wont bother to change the color from the ugly army green
I did have enough braided SS pieces to make the return line.
Tomorrow I think I will finally try to tackle the cooling system...after that all I will have left before startup is to installa new starter and some misc wiring...and setting the dist timing because yes, initially I plan on getting this idling on the stock ECU
'66 Mustang coupe 4.6l DOHC, T45 etc
'77 Celica Liftback GT SRT engine swap/MA5 trans swap
'87 XR4Ti b234f+he351ve+t5 in progress
'88 Silver XR4Ti daily driver(Holset HY35, Large NPR FMIC, generic BOV, etc)

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Didnt get much done today(shingles really ruin your drive to do anything)
I did get started on the cooling system at least...this is an interesting pic for those interested in details for a couple reasons...it shows dist clearance, it shows the other end of my turbo oil feed line where I tapped the oil filter adapter(pressure sender will go in the empty port) and it shows the where the volvo hose barb comes off the head..which happens to be directly above the oil cooler which is convienent for plumbing....Volvo barb to oil cooler..oil cooler to lower port on the heater core and upper heater core to a tee...one of which runs to the upper port on the expansion tank and the other side runs to my secondary barb at the front of the volvo head....which just leaves me with lower expansion tank fitting to water pump nipple. In theory anyway....I only got as far as the lower heater core connection today since I found myself a couple fittings short.

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 pm

More cooling system details...complete except for one pipe I need to find running under the manifold and of course the radiator is not yet installed.
Aftermarket gauges installed in the E36 cluster with peak recall pushbuttons, still need to wire it up and make a dual gauge pod for the other two...but close to complete(wiring will have to wait till I can find a real wiring diagram to go off of)
Got a lot of other misc things done today like mounting and modifying the throttle cable bracket, drilling and tapping the plenum for a IAT sensor, running a few vacuum lines, installing the balance tube for the ITBs, etc but didnt take pics of all that.

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Looks like it's coming right along. :cheers
Colin Doyle
'89 Scorpio | Volvo B234F head | Holset HX35 | Megasquirt | T5 | 8.8 IRS | mc²racing suspension
File to fit, paint to match.

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 pm

It would be if I were home...been working in far places for the past month and probably for another month or so.

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Back to work today...

Not that most people who do Folvo swaps care about this....but I combined the Ford Lower and the Volvo upper timing covers together to get a functional timing cover....I probably wont use it most times, but its nice to have the option to keep rocks and things out of the timing belt.

My finished fuel filler neck for use with the foxbody tank....after a trip or two to my muffler shop to have them bend it and a lot of messing with the flange angle and orientation it fits pretty darn well

A shot showing my now installed PS pump and alternator...I will have to run a bracket from the unsupported side of the alternator to one of the mounting bolts for the PS pump, but this actually works out pretty well, the belts run above the water neck and upper radiator hose, the downside is I may only be able to use one belt, depending on final position due to the Bolt for my dual idler pulley setup

I also finally wired the foxbody pump and fuel sender up, finished up misc wiring for the engine...another day or two of work and she will be ready to start for the first time....going to start it up initially using the stock computer just to say I did before switching over to MS2

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:58 pm

A little more done today...

These are water pipes I found while looking for a likely donor in the junkyard. For some completely bizarre reason there was a Renault Fuego Turbo in the junkyard(along with a non turbo...I am guessing they were someone's project who gave up on them) anyway, the water pipes were perfect for my application, I removed the brackets and cleaned them up a bit, they still need to be painted though

This one is a picture of my "solution" for not enough belt wrap on the PS pump, I used a timing bolt tensioner from a 2.4L chrysler and am using it as an idler pulley like a serpentine system would use, I am hoping this works, if not I can flip the tensioner mounting around to achieve more belt wrap....though I really do not know what this will do to a V-belt, I guess there is only one way to find out, I will actually have to switch the tensioner pulley out with a true idler pulley(for correct alignment) and tack weld on some belt guides so the belts wont be able to slip off but I consider it a possible solution.

I also finished up the engine wiring today except for spark plug wires, if I pick up plug wires and a positive battery cable I should be able to attempt to start it next time. I wont bother connecting the VAM since I am not interested in running it more than a few seconds off the stock ECU anyway, besides without the radiator connected there isnt any point...and I cant install the radiator till I install the as yet unordered RS500 intercooler

yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:27 am

Very cool build

Dumb question but with the BMW dash swap does that line up with the stock HVAC ducts? Or do you need to take the HVAC system from the BMW?

socal1200r
Level 2
Level 2

Post by socal1200r » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:00 pm

The man has patience and imagination, I'll give him credit for that! After seeing all the details on this build, I'm starting to think keeping mine stock will be more of a challenge, lol! Any upgrades I'm now thinking of doing will be more for function, like an intercooler and rear disc brakes. Once I start tinkering with the engine, that genie will be out of the bottle! Once that rig is done and one the street, I bet it'll be an absolute hoot to drive, with the Volvo DOHC head, bigger turbo, FMIC, etc.
Robert Brooks
1987 XR4Ti, white, AT
Norfolk, VA

BlackBart

Post by BlackBart » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Any progress?

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Not recently(unless you count a new coolant bottle from a Mercedes Kompressor coupe). I have been too busy with work....60+ hours a week for the last two months hasnt left me much time.