We bought our first xr. Autox/street machine in the making.

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: We bought our first xr. Autox/street machine in the maki

Post by catapultkid »

VIR update.

So this last weekend was pretty sweet. Great track, tons to do/see, awesome time hanging out with friends and family. This was Hyperfest's first time at VIR and all in all in it went really well. For those who don't know, Hyperfest is a NASA mid-alantic event holding HPDE levels, various races (Spec miata, Honda Challenge, E30/E36) as well as various time trials mixed with USDrift and there Hooliganism on the Patriot course all in one weekend. On top of that there was a 2 hour kart enduro, helicopter rides, rally rides, pro drifter ride alongs, burnout contest, beer garden and a car show, just to name a few things. There really isn't any other grassroots auto event that I know of state side that has the same amount of shear stuff going on.

Before getting to the even coverage I had a couple of loose ends to finish up on the car. First a bleed nipple for the upper rad hose to purge out any air. Worked very well, no leaks.

Also moved to a 180* thermostat. Notice the difference at 195*. The 180* is wide open and the OE and part store brand just started to crack open.

Then Thursday evening Justin came over and we loaded his trailer with the car and tons of tools for the trek to VIR the next day.

I didn't take any photos through the weekend so I'll keep it short and sweet. Friday Mindy and I made it to the track pretty early, around noonish. A couple of old friends of ours, Renzo, Jorge and Chris where on the way as was Justin with the merkur as well as Jeff and Audie with the integra and Stu with his boxster. We scoped out an area for us all to park. At 7 or so everyone had arrived, had a beer, I got tech'd and relaxed. Open track was on full course and we watched a few of the racers start to prep for the weekend races.

Saturday morning was like a typical HPDE, some driver's meeting along with a classroom session and such. Then by 10am it was track time. Each day we got 4 sessions of 25 minutes or so on full course.

Here is Jeff in his k20 integra following me around VIR for a bit. Every now and then you'll see a flame at a shift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYciZbY0Pzc

Saturday evening I caught a ride with Pat, who was participating in the USDrift sector of Hyperfest, and it was epic! Before we headed to the 2 hour Karting Enduro with Mindy, Justin, Pat and I. We placed 9th of 12 teams.

Sunday was more of the same just a little less hecktic. USDrift was winding down and the crowd started to thin as the afternoon progressed. Jeff and Audie headed out a bit early due to some power steering issues with the integra. Justin, Mindy and I got out a bit after the last session.

Sunday's last run, at the end I got to play with a Cayman, other than that, clear track as you will see. I did better the cars personal best at a 2:25.9 on Saturday's 2nd session out. However with the mechanical issues I couldn't improve on that late Saturday or Sunday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuHuolpmuBg

Currently car is under going the knife again, It felt noticable weaker through the weekend and I quickly found out that the gasket between the turbo and manifold had blown out, letting all some exhaust gas escape past the turbo. More on that later as a new turbo is being built along with what I hope a fresh bottom end. Car needs more than 160whp around VIR...
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

It's great to see the XR being used for its noblest purpose. Hope you have better luck the next round. Thanks for posting! :cheers
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

Wooo Hooooo
Loved the vid! Not Bad, Not bad at all.
A weekend of racing and a $5.00 gasket failure? That car has come a loooooong way !
'85 XR
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Looking good! Haven't been on here for a few months (life, and such) and i was eager to see how this was progressing. I dig it. I am doing a few track days soon, i might steal your ideas for bumper mounts. I need mine to be quick release as my car now sits so low that even my low profile trailer i have issues...
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Well it has been a month or so. Here is the latest series of events to bring this up to date.

Cliff notes: Made a CF hood.

Added studs and copper nuts everywhere:

Had an issue at VIR with the intake on number 3 cylinder. The cam lobe had a gouge in it. It also cracked the upper portion of the lifter like something had gotten between the rocker and cam. Then in compressed the lifter and smacked the valve down all the way.

So I shimmed the lifters up a bit and it ran fine, just made a lot of noise.

Had an autocross

Then took it to CMP for a track day where it didn't stop giving me motor issues. Overheating by getting air in the cooling system, turbo studs backing out all the time. Eventually the wastegate failed, it over boosted and pop! no more merkur motor. Coasted into the pits and loaded it on the trailer.

Now I'm a cross roads on what to do. I'm not sure if I'm going to finally put that 50 trim on it that I've horded with a rebuilt 2.3, I have a volvo head sitting here as well. Or say screw the turbo stuff and go V8.

For now the project will be on hold until I can get myself in a position where I can do some work in a direction that I'm certain on.

-Paul
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Sorry to hear about all this bro. You were having some good times at some past events too.
Is it the HG that blew or something worse? Didnt you set the overboost protetion on your PiMP? it should cut fuel when you reach that limit.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Sorry for the bad luck, but bear in mind that these motors are much-raced, and it's already in the car. It sounds like a few details were missed in preparation-- you could build it back up stronger than ever (note I say stronger, rather than more powerful). learn from your mistakes, and it'll be much better next time.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Overboost was set in Pimp but it lost oil pressure and power. Not 100% sure really what has happened. I have a few hundred dollars in this motor and it has been running for almost 3 years with all kinds of abuse. However at the end of the day I know a 2.3 turbo leaves much to be desired on track. I have just had way too many heat issues for it to be appealing to throw another 2.3t at it and jump back on track. I even as far as having another 2.3t built on the sides by a proper engine builder, but I've since cancelled the order.

I've got a few plans for it but I need to work out the details first and see how valid they turn out of paper. Stay tuned, I "hope" to have it running before the end of the year.
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

Pull the distributor. It sounds like you sheared the teeth off the distributor gear. When that happens you lose all power and oil pressure.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Looks like this car is getting a heart transplant very soon. Back to a 2.3 turbo for now with a garrett 50trim/.48 exhaust and some other goodies.

No pictures yet as work is yet to start, however I got the tow pig up and running. 6.0 swapped 89 k2500 with 4 speed!

-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

Glad to hear it will return again !
'85 XR
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Its been almost a year. I stopped my build thread for some reason. So let me catch everyone up a bit.

Recap from last track day: Motor got sand in it from an intake boot splitting as well as the turbo broke its shaft.

Found a "0 mile" rebuilt motor on clist.

Put it in with a rebuilt garrett 50 trim/.48 hot side turbo

Found out that it made 0 oil pressure due to bearing clearances I could measure with a ruler.....

Then figured out the main caps didn't match the block...

Decided to build my own motor since I had never done a 100% build before.

Stuffed it back into the car.

New custom intercooler I made. Here is first start up.

Added skirts and straight though side exhaust with a single glass pack. :)

Did a autocross and still hated the gearing. Therefore added a set of 4:10s to the ford 8.8.

That pretty much catches everyone up. I'll add some action shots soon.
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

It was hot out so I removed the hood and bumper.

Lifting rear tire

Lifting front tire

Mid turn

I hate the way the car handles right now and it ate a wheel bearing last event so I think its time to make a change in set up.

Meanwhile I also finally finished my E Mod VW. Here are a few shots at a track day last month.

Made 195 at the wheels untuned.

-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
MarkM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MarkM »

Paul,

We can't see the Google hosted photos. I'm assuming due to permissions. The Flickr ones are fine.
Mark
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Thanks, ill check permissions. I see them fine.
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight