We bought our first xr. Autox/street machine in the making.

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Re: We bought our first xr. Autox/street machine in the maki

Post by Ray »

Yeah, most of the pictures are coming up with a dash instead of the image.

Refresh my mind - what is your current spring rate / damping rate on the car? I think you'll like losing the front ARB and going to comp. struts.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Funny, I could see all the pics from work yesterday, couldn't see them at home this morning, but get to work and can see them all again.

Weird.
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

OK, so let me know if they are all fixed now. I've made everything into shared locations.

I can see them when I log off of google and view this thread.

Spring rates are:

~500lb front
~400lb rear
big ass front bar
small rear bar

Issues that are driving me not liking the car:

1. Tires are much too tall and raise the car too much
2. Tires have too soft of a side wall
3. NT-01s can not multitask well, great for track because everything is happening slower
4. Front shocks are completely blown now
5. Rear shocks aren't much better

Proposed solutions:
1. SN95 mustang, 2" drop front spindles up front
2. Custom lower control arms with added caster
3. Higher spring rates all around
4. New shocks valved for the new spring rates
5. No sway bars, thanks to Ray's findings

Paul
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

Just checked in IE and Firefox, still can't see the pictures. I don't have time to dig into it tonight, just letting you know.
Mark
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Sounds like you hate the NT01's - a few of my friends run those both for track days and autoX and like them a lot. Are you sure they're the issue? What symptoms are you having with them?
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

True,

I loved the NT01s compound on track. However for autocross, they just don't grip like the new 200 tread ware tires (RE71rs). Added to that the side wall height I choose and the 245 on a 7.5 inch rim. Just a lot of bad decisions wrapped into one setup for autocross. I like them when they where new, but they are 2013 date, and leave much to be desired.

The cars hardware has just gotten "looser" over time. Doesn't feel as tight and nimble as it did with the dzIIs a few years ago. Needs a refresh on all moving parts and struts.

Lastly, my expectations have grown. The VW will carry me through the rest of the season I hope giving me time to ponder the future setup of the merkur, front and rear are being looked at.
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

What class are you running in? Sounds like it's time for a little bit a wider wheel and new shoes. I am running 245/40/17 right now - rather like that size.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Im in CP like you. You are right, time for a change.

255/40/17 is my targeted size currently, but I believe Ben was running 235 front, 255 rear. That may be the right answer.

Figured if I can get the suspension sorted I'd then work on power again in the form of a v8.

Ray if you could do anything, what would you consider for suspension? Would you change the overall design much? Build a double wishbone?
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

V8 is going to put you in XP - i would have gone that route if nothing but for the noise, but CP in my area is like a brotherhood of friends.

I'm very, very happy with the suspension setup on my car right now. I want to lower the rear geometry without lowering the car more (she's already very, very low) and i need to brainstorm with Anglin and Mike (not a merkur guy) on how to do this. That's all i'd change right now without serious fabrication work. Part of the fun with these cars is you're up against a lot more modern technology, running a motor typically half the size of the next smallest engine, and it just feels 'right' knowing that you're able to take on most of the fire breathing v8's with your little 30plus year old turbo car.

I think that the ARB's on a merkur are all but useless if you run high enough rate springs. The rear does absolutely nothing once you increase the spring rate at all, and the front just lends itself to bind, which i think is a huge part of your turn in issues. Trust me - i fought that for years, lifting inner front or rear just like you are depending on how i attacked a corner. Even at track speeds the lack of ARBs is not something i miss, the car is just there, planted, and very controllable. Out of t4 @ thompson a couple weeks ago i came in a bit hot (180 degree off camber hairpin) with the car at full counterlock, didn't even blink - she's that predictable.

For tire sizes, i'm happy with the 245/40/17's - i know i could get a little more lateral G's with wider tires but i'd sacrifice some suspension geometry to fit those.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Have you had any issues with wheel bearings on your car? Ive had 2 sets now in just 3 years.

Sounds like I need to spend a little time looking to see what is out there in europe for the seirra.

Also, are your lower control arms horizontal or pointed up being that low? Im horizontal right now, and the car is much too high.

Paul
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Wheel bearings are a wear item, I inspect mine each winter and I've only gone thru 2 sets in 8 years - so you might have some other issue going on.

Lower control arms are horizontal - I had the car lower by an inch last season - I didn't like the handling characteristics. Also, remember my ride height is a little lower anyway - modified shock towers, not sure what you are running for strut tops right now.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT