Jeremy's Merkur "The Mutt"

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Jeremy's Merkur "The Mutt"

Post by jkxr4ti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Since I dont have a build thread on here lets start with the present.

Currently the car has the following combo:

Engine:
Stock Bottom End with approx 110K miles
Motorsport Big Valve Head with A237 Cam
Currently the cam is installed at 0 deg.
Stock Intake manifolds and Throttle Body
Stock Fuel Rail
Accel Adustable FPR
Deka 80Lb Injectors
Ported and Extrude Honed E6 Exhaust Manifold
Holset HY35 Turbo with 3" Exhaust Outlet
Ford Wategate Actuator
Sierra Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler
Forge 007 Bypass Valve
Saab 900 Radiator

ECU/Electronics
Currently Just switched From MS1 to MS2
EEC-IV Adapter Board by Scott Hall
Innovate Wideband
VW Boost Control valve

Chasis/Drivetrain
T9 Transmission with Bat short shifter
PyroPete's 4 Puck Clutch and Pressure Plate
Dave Godfrey manual clutch adjuster
Stock Open Diff
MC2 Differential Mount
Dave Godfrey PBR Caliper Mounts
Front SVT Contour Rotors and PBR Calipers
Rear SVT Contour Rotors and Taurus/Lincoln Calipers

Suspension
MC2 Koni Coilovers in front with Dual Rate springs
Powerflex front Bushings
MC2 Steering Rack Bushings
KYB Rear Shocks
700Lb Rear Springs
MC2 STA Bushings
PowerFlex Rear Beam Mount Bushings

So I saw Heat's recent post about the Dyno over at Swift Performance in Norwich CT and I also happened to be in the area for work.
Ive been finalizing my MS2 install and thought it would be a good time to get some tuning in. My previous MS1 install that ive been using since ~2009 was completely street tuned. I was really interested in seeing what the optimum timing was, something I wasnt able to get on the street.

The results are pretty good I think for the current combo. Its dyno runs were right about 23PSI, with 60 deg ambient temps. The car ran well overall and the tuner there at swift did a good job. He also has a MS2 setup in his E30 BMW so he was familiar with the software.

Big thanks to my friends Kurt and Steve who stopped to help out.

This was the final run about 280HP and 300ft/lb, you can see the dyno graph below

Heres a few more pictures of the car on the rollers:

Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Jeremy's Merkur "The Mutt"

Post by Ray » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:12 am

Did you pay for tuning or by the hour? I need to schedule an hour or so to finish dialing my car in before next season but i want to finish my intake manifold first. Er, i should start my intake manifold first.

Why are you running such large injectors?
I'm only 25 minutes from Swift.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 am

Awesome! Good guys down there. For the life of me I'm drawing a blank on the tuner's name...Ryan? Either way, nice guy.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 am

Yes it was by the hour, $100/hr. On the Injectors, I was planing to try running E85 and I wanted to make sure I had enough headroom to grow. I really like these ones, Fast opening time high impedance. They Idle good too.
I got these from racetronix, think they were like 200 for the set.

On a side note these hit 70% on this run with 11.5 AFR

Yup Ryan was his name.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 am

jkxr4ti wrote: On a side note these hit 70% on this run with 11.5 AFR
Sounds about right. I'm running a bit leaner than you (12:1) at 20psi and hitting slightly lower DC's with my 75lb Dephi injectors.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Nice numbers and I like the color of the car.
However, I expected 300hp with 23psi on that turbo. Maybe the stock intakes are limiting you? Or the A237 cam?

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 am

Esteban wrote:Nice numbers and I like the color of the car.
However, I expected 300hp with 23psi on that turbo. Maybe the stock intakes are limiting you? Or the A237 cam?
That dyno reads VERY low. I wouldn't be too concerned with the numbers. That car would be over 300whp on any other dyno.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Yea Ryan said it was more accurate and didnt inflate the numbers as much as some seem to. There are of course compromises with the car since its primarily street driven. Most of these are to keep the budget down like the A237 cam. I'm sure I could make more with another cam and an open exhaust pretty easily. I do plan on reworking the intakes at some point to go with a forward facing or 120 deg rotated unit, and at that time I will probably port the lower also.

One thing I also noticed is that when he rescaled the timing map I think he took out too much down low. Thats probably why the dyno graph has that dip from 2500-3200. On the drive home I added the extra timing in low on the MAP and the boost came up ~4-500 RPM sooner. I also had to lower my boost controller numbers from the dyno session, I was hitting the overboost cut on the street where as the boost was stable on the dyno.

Jeremy Kemp

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Fri May 15, 2015 3:54 pm

So my Hazard Switch Puked its guts out the top of the steering column and i've about had it with that arrangement. Here are some Mods to replace the factory style Hazard Switch.
If you want to reproduce this aside from wiring supplies you will need:
2 bosch spdt relays
2 Diodes 3 amp
1 old dash switch or heated seat switch

Heres a picture of the overall modified wiring:

Heres a view of the factory wiring:

Heres a look at the switch with the new Hazard legend:

Heres a shot of the hazard legend to replace the one you remove from your old switch:

Ill post up some more pictures in the next couple days of the relays installed. But basically they are mounted on the steering support behind the dash cluster. In my case the car didnt have cruise control so the switch gets mounted in the blank spot where the cruise switch would have gone.
The top of the hazard switch/turn signal switch assembly just gets a plastic cover over the gap where the old hazard button was.

:cheers

Jeremy Kemp

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon May 18, 2015 10:43 am

jkxr4ti wrote:Here are some Mods to replace the factory style Hazard Switch.
Awesome. Ever since I found a poorly-done conversion of the hazard switch on a junkyard car I've always known there was a better way. My "better way" was converting to a Scorpio steering column, but that's clearly the hard way.

Leave this as part of your project thread in here, but can you create a new thread in the XR4 section just for this? I'll eventually move it to the FAQ. Thanks Jeremy...
Brad

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Mon May 18, 2015 2:28 pm

Sure I can do that Brad. There is more than one way to skin the Cat as it were here so its possible to use a second flasher relay just for the hazards. I just used what I had on hand at the time. A quick google search for Hazard Wiring diagram img will turn up a bunch too. I plan on taking a few pictures of the modified turn signal stalk too as far as how to bypass the internals.

Here is a shot of the switch installed in the dash and another showing the capped off hazard location.

Jeremy Kemp

SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra » Mon May 18, 2015 6:40 pm

Well, there goes my stalk rebuilding business. But in all seriousness, that is a clean mod! No complaints here at all. Well done. :thumb
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Tue May 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks for the complement.

I don't think this will affect your side business. There will always be folks out there that either dont want to do the wiring mods or just want to keep it original.

Jeremy Kemp

fragglejack

Post by fragglejack » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Sorry to dig up an old post, but if you purchase a euro stalk with a horn button on it, what wires would you need to delete if you were ditching the cruise?

Craig.

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Craig, Ive never seen a wiring diagram for one of those. If you find one post it up and I can give some advice. I would imagine that the horn button is either wired to our cruise control switch or to otherwise unused pins on our cars.

Jeremy Kemp