20+years later..Keeps going&going&going..get the picture

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: 20+years later..Keeps going&going&going..get the picture

Post by merkurdriver »

Are you planning the rear glass swap too? Only thing that would hold me back is that the car is painted so nice already it would be hard to tear into it...

However... red car with a red top YB, big rear glass and those white comps on it would look awesome :cheers
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Mike..that's my thoughts exactly, don't wish to alter such a beautiful paint job. His friend, who owned the body shop went out of his was way, must be nice to have such friends. I think the paint job alone is worth the $2500, the rest is just a bonus. I had thoughts on installing them in the silver car, but its not the one getting the YB. I bought the Little Red Devil for the transplant of all I have good stuff installed on the Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Be close to this if I did....

Been talking to Compomotive in England about buying a new set like those in 8x17 et35 for £760shipped
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Here are the pics of the two to choose from...

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

I have always loved the MO5 over all the comp wheels. I would get a set for autox, but they are all heavy. Probably needed for rally durability.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Test mounted the Cossie arches, will have to come back off for wet sanding and buff.

Please don't flame me for it being so high, once I transfer from '89 it will come way down.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

nzwinrz wrote: Please don't flame me for it being so high, once I transfer from '89 it will come way down.
We're not ricers. Suspension needs some travel to work properly. Hopefully, it won't come TOO far down. :wink:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Woooo..no ricer here, pure southern boy, hell my first cars had shackles to raise them for big...fat...tires. No its low for center of gravity but not so low I have to slow down for dips or train tracks....never ever hit a bump stop!! Sort of like my old one here..

nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Been considering these Compomotive's TH2, they're back in production...and the proper ground clearance, this is my stance goal..

nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Christ! Your red car looks great already!
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I can't be the only one jealous of that trailer of yours.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

nzwinrz wrote:Been considering these Compomotive's TH2, they're back in production...and the proper ground clearance, this is my stance goal..
Glenn, let me know if you need a hand getting in touch with them. I had to go through a couple channels to pick up a set from them recently.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Thanks but not sure if that will be needed. The last communications was directly with Gary at Compomotive International Limited. He stated...in Feb this yr...

Yes we can offer the 8x17 TH1781 in 4x108 et35 in white and grey colors

£150 gbp each and £160 for UPS to bring 4 to your door.

So you see I'm dealing directly with the company, and they will post to me. I've been in contact with him no less than 10 times since Nov 13' about MO6 18" production(not production of 17's anymore)

Glenn
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Ray wrote:I can't be the only one jealous of that trailer of yours.
Sorry can't take any credit for trailer, belongs to my son, is nice though. For its use I installed flush anchors to tie to, a set of tie downs, got the electric brakes functional...and almost bought him a larger wrench, but just made due with the 3000 one he had.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Made some progress on the damaged front Cosworth bumper, wanted to see if I could repair before spending large(3k) amounts of mulla to replace it with a new rs500.

Recap, clipped some small trees and busted in nearly in half!

Took it off and put temporary patch work to hold it together, not to loose pieces, till I could go farther with repairing it...

Now the other day I bought some JB plastic epoxy to try...oh yea plus 2 tubes of SuperGlue
I used the SG to hold things together in a position till I could come from behind and add the epoxy. Worked quite well if I may say so, could hold the bumper and spin it around, nothing came loose.
The aluminum back bone of the bumper will have to be held down and pressed back in shape. Its light but to strong to bend being held in vise and working with it. Going to take to work, use a lift to hold it down and heat treat the bend spots to help reshape.

I went ahead and mounted the RS500 F/G splitter I bought last yr, note don't store in a warm shed, some shrinkage happened. Did this to help hold the bumper in proper shape.

nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Here's after I super glued it..