20+years later..Keeps going&going&going..get the picture

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

20+years later..Keeps going&going&going..get the picture

Post by nzwinrz »

Have had this XR since 1993, not my first. I bought one new in Dec '85, had till '88 when I lost it in a divorce battle. Still kept the '67 Mustang GTA, '72 SpitFORD w/289v8, and a blown '80 Triumph TR8. So I traded the '67 towards a '89 Saleen. I've got a RS thread on FJ where it includes my FRS Clone as well as MerCossie. So I'm going to copy some stuff from there so bear with me if I duplicate once or twice and the Focus RS might be seen couple times too.

Going to see if I can find my '85 Merk pics somewhere..

The other RS is my '89 XR converting(always in progress) Sierra RS Cosworth. To start I've had one 85 XR brand new in '85, lost in a divorce in '88. Then in '93 bought a '89 XR for my girl friend(soon to be second wife).
She wanted a truck instead so after my '89 Saleen was stolen(found a week later-just the shell) I got her in a truck and took the '89 XR. Since I've had it I've overhauled the engine with Wiseco pistons, T3/4 turbo, custom inter cooler, big valve head, hefty roller cam, tube header, "3 exhaust with custom center outlet, rear disc to replace drums, Recaro's, Euro grill, head lights, RS front bumper (was sitting in dry storage for 24years), RS steering wheel, RS hood louvers, RS grill, RS rear wings, RS sway bars, Eibach springs, Koni Yellow, converted the C3 auto drive line to A4LD with medium stall converter.

This is how it looks before the RS bumper went on
Bought this off ebay for £540 was taken off a Sierra RS back in 1986 and was in dry storage
And this is after
Last edited by nzwinrz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 20+years later.....

Post by nzwinrz »

Now I've got a Cosworth YB drive line from Uk back in DEC '10, been in the process of going through the engine and gathering bits here and there to install sometime
(IN PROCESS)

I've got all I need to go 2wd, I had considered the 4wd and had a deal all worked up for everything I needed from a Cosworth Sapphire 4wd for £4k before shipping, but I backed out. To much at the time.

When I finially bought the 2wd driveline it cost me $1200 to ship this pallet of parts,

These are the pics before and after the chap got it ready to ship

In the box was brake calipers, hubs, rotors, ecu and harness other odds and ends

You'll see an aluminum radiator, didn't make the trip. He swapped it out with a standard unit, the T3/4 turbo did make it either instead he bolted on a
bad T3 with the banjo bolts broken and bearing shot. The turbo support in car pic didn't make it either. Oh I complained, sure send it back and I'll get my
money back, but I'd have to pay the shipping ($1.2k)
This was the car the engine came from

Some of the process completed
Last edited by nzwinrz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Couple of pics that haven't been up before....build process year ago

Accralite forged piston Cosworth YB turbo 90.83mm 7.5:1, T38.63 Turbo, BD14 intake & stock BD8 exhaust cam, 83lbs injectors, air injector boost controled, Boost peak 28 run 24=440hp:hump:

Ceramic coated exhaust manifold and turbo housing

nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

This pic was in the late '98 sitting with my '72 SpitFORD
347 Stroker
Last edited by nzwinrz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Here it has the stock steering wheel, bottom has the Sierra Cosworth wheel added 2011

Bought a 4speed shifter from UK out of a Ford Granada( Scorpio here) you'll see the gear indicators are on the passenger side of shifter
Here I have a early speedo that from a 85 model till I install the Cossie unit that reads up to 170mph with higher tach redline for the YB and no boost gauge

Last edited by nzwinrz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Some engine pic with the 2.3 Turbo

nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

AP Racing 4pot BBK replaced the SVT brakes that replaced the stock

The rear did have Scorpio rear rotors since '95...so long I'm unclear. Recently installed Cosworth 2wd pinch bolt TCA's and hubs, rebuilt with new bearings and seals. Cleaned up the Konis that came with the driveline back in '10, installed my Eibachs. Oh back to the rear brakes....being I've had several Focus SVT's in the past 5yrs I've got spare parts.

Updated the rear 10" Scorpio rotors with 11" FocusSVT units after some mount modification(Scorpio+XR4i 4x4)to raise the caliper bracket. 2wd Cossie on right

From left > right...AP Racing 330mm fronts, SVT 280mm rear, Cosworth 273mm and Scorpio 253mm

Here I show how the Cosworth hubs and struts differ from the stock XR4ti. They allowed me to take off the 8mm spacers though I'm considering using them to come back out some

Here looking at the Koni's for Xr>Cossie-see the shorter assembled lenght of Cossie and spring perch. Both sets of Eibachs are same spring rate yet the XR is 14mm longer as per Eibach rep.
ImageImage
Media blasted old rusty Konis and repainted, now have 3mm clearance without having to use the 8mm spacer before to obtain 0-2mm

Now with hubs on and spacers off

Last edited by nzwinrz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

This pic show the center out exhaust I built from stainless tubing, the 3" system from T3/4 turbo flows through a DynaMax then twin outlet 2 1/2 around the gas tank and join back up at the center behind bumper.

This exhaust is coming out once the YB is up and running, Will be for sale with bumper reinforcement too
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Got this Magnex Cosworth Stainless system...well almost..paid for but hasn't been put in post yet. Getting help from Chris aka Apex clipper. When the seller wouldn't post abroad

To use this I have also bought a Cosworth gas tank, fuel neck, all new rubber seals, fuel pump cradle, fuel tank sensor. Have had a Cosworth cluster for some time now can use in conjunction with tank sensor. I'll be making some extra bracket mounts under to correctly hold tank. Got new oem tank strap for tank. but they use two additional mounting points ours don't use
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Interior updates back in June '12. Had the interior upholstered, I had found some material on eBay that matched the front seats. Bought enough to recover the leather back to match front, and to repair dr side bottom, but decided to do both fronts to. Omitting the embroildered Recaro SE and bought new Recaro badges to replace and insert in rear.

I've got a little of the material left to do the door panel inserts...

BEFORE

AFTER

Auxilary gauges from Audi

RHD shifter for A4LD
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Bought a BRAND NEW FORD SIERRA RS500 3 DOOR COSWORTH FRONT SPLITTER RS 500 made from GRP for the Sierra,

This is the stock rubber extension..
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Ok now for the most part you're caught up to date:

Finially got started on the MerCossie restoration..
To do list:
1) Pull engine/trans, clean out engine bay of all 2.3 support as well as a/c and automatic trans support systems/harness
2) Remove brake booster and master, modify bulkhead for Hydro-booster/master from Scorpio
3) Replace center section of core support to omit the intercooler pipe pass-through I was using
4) Repaint bay, install Cosworth YB and Cosworth T5. Also Cosworth rear diff and axles
5) Remove dash and replace pedal box, heater core and dash pad, and lower dash, pillar trims
6) Remove front windshield to repair rust areas under molding(result from untreated metal on glass replacement 12 yrs ago)
7) Repair slight rust under weather strip around dr&pass door seal
8) Prep Cosworth rear bumper, F/G RS500 wing for install
9) Remove side cladding and install Cosworth wheel archs and skirts
10) Repaint car
Last edited by nzwinrz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

So out with the old..

Now to start the cleansing process..
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

01-05-13, 12:52 PM
Engine finially out and mods begin, first booster install along with radiator core support replacement before repainting engine bay.

nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

Hydo booster mounted, after opening up the hole alittle and adding the clutch pedal box