An XR4Ti from Quebec

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
LaurentD

An XR4Ti from Quebec

Post by LaurentD »

Hello All,

I have been pretty busy lately, with school and finals, but it's been almost one month since I purchased my lovely 88 XR4Ti. It's about time to dedicate a build thread to it, because knowing myself, even if the car runs great as it is, there is going to be some kind of build anyways. :) But first things first, how did I even end up with a Merkur? (For those who want to skip the intro + story of my life, you can go straight to the next post)

Me and Cars, a Story

Neither my dad nor any of my friends have ever been into cars, so that passion I have is definitely something that evolved within the last few years, or since i've had my license, really (i'm 22). Also, living in a big city with awful roads and traffic, I have been used to biking or just commuting. Therefore, I have no problem with my car being a pure summer toy, as long it is somewhat fast, unique, and with a character that brings a smile to my face. For the love of the targa top, the first car I bought was a MK3 Supra, which ended up being a piece of junk, and died before I even went through a single tank of fuel... About a year later, and with a lot more savings, I bought another one, the cleanest I could find, a low mileage 88. I had a blast driving it for about a year, until I did something stupid and blew the headgasket. I have always been good with my hands but I had never repaired a car before, and knew nobody to teach me the mechanics. Yet, I decided to go for it and fix the motor, in my parents driveway, with basic tools and a repair manual. This, is when I got hooked to cars! You can actually repair them and make them perfect to your liking! Needless to say, I went extensive on that build. Took me a month and a half, full time. All back to original specs, but clean and perfect. That was the car I was supposed to keep for 20+ years.
Image Image

Since then, I can't stop working cars, I just love it. I rebuilt as much on that supra as I could afford. All until last September, one afternoon, on my way back from school. One distracted driver : my car (and certainly his) got totaled. My insurance quoted 18k worth of repairs to the car. I could have repaired it, but by the time I had kind of gotten tired of supras. I saw all these other cars that I could be trying out instead. While I settled everything with the insurance, I had the whole winter to look for a new toy. I probably saw the XR4Ti on bring-a-trailer (http://bringatrailer.com/2012/10/11/sie ... kur-xr4ti/) around October but though nothing of it, at first, except that it had one huge spoiler! I later got a check from my insurance (insured one way, not responsible, my premium didn't even get affected) for about what I could have sold the supra for, which ends up being a good deal for me. One night, looking at cars, I got curious about the one with the huge spoiler. Read about it, turns out it's a neat little car that has been forgotten by many. Was about 1/4 of the price of the porshes I was looking at. There is going to be some custom making obsolete parts : I love that. I bought the Merkur.

Now as a kind of side note, there is also another car to the story. I always knew I would end up studying Mechanical Engineering, which I now have only one year left of :) . During my second year of the program, a friend and my growing enthusiasm for cars got me into a great competition called Formula SAE (A student race car design competition), for those who know it. Actually, that friend was setting up a team to build an electric car to compete in the new electric series. We finished our first car last summer and raced it in Germany. Yes, there is a whole team behind it, but I like to think, that I have put enough work into it to call it mine... :) Anyways, here would be my other car project, which is still going on, since we need to build another car for summer 2014. All the parts on that electric racer being of custom design and fabrication, you can see why I don't see obsolete parts as a problem. Hehe. Having easy access to mills and a buch of other tools is pretty great!
Last edited by LaurentD on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaurentD

Re: An XR4Ti from Quebec

Post by LaurentD »

My XR4Ti

For those who have read through my last post, I agree it is a long intro, but it all brings us to my current acquisition, a beautiful 88 XR4Ti with some cosworth body parts. I just enjoyed driving the car around and getting to know it in the last days, so it has not been washed yet. I'll post some better pictures soon, but here it is.

That profile!

The wing.

Still one small car. So boxy and older.

The turbo badge seems like an add-on. And the badges are inverted, right?

Nice and clean interior

Leather seats are not too bad

Clean enough motor. All stock. It runs great. Sometimes the idle is not perfectly stable, maybe I'll diagnostic that one day. Also, it seems like the car lacks power over 4.5k, when in high gear. I pushed it once on the higway, and in fourth gear, I had to shift to 5th at ~4,5k because it wasn't accelerating anymore. I guess I'll just have to investigate that further. The car is not too slow, but a tad slower than the supra. Handles so much better, though! Might be interested in upgrading it, but I don't think my insurance compagny will let me do so...

All in all, its in pretty good condition. I got under the car for a good 30 minutes when I checked it out, in the seller's driveway. There is no rust there. Strong with a thick coat of rust-proofing. There is probably some small leaks. Hard to diagnostic, with all the rustproofing down there. There is one rust spot inside the door, and one one some quarter panel, no holes or nothing major. The paint in pretty nice, but it seems like it is a somewhat cheap repaint. Doesn't look like they removed much stuff.

The cosworth bodywork that the last owner put on has been cheaply installed and not so well fitted. It's all fiberglass replicas too. But, hey. There parts are there. I will make some better brackets for the bumper and re-fit it.

The wing was installed on the 88 hatch. Or on the 88 window, if you prefer... I don't know if i'll re-do it properly. Probably not worth it, unless I get an authentic wing, with the siding going lower.

So here is my new acquisition. I still don't know exactly why I bought that, but I love it. Its uniqueness and character (yes that door ajar display, or no seat belt buzzer, that crank operated sun roof) makes me smile. I don't know what I'll do with it yet. Having learned my lesson, it's probably not wise to redo everything and make it like new. Yet, I already have for plans to repair quite a few things : there was no horn, putting in my audio setup from the supra, passenger door lock solenoid and heated seat, etc. I guess, time will tell what happens to it. I have numerous repair bills and ownership transfer papers dating back all the way to 1988. Also have the merkur card thing. Wonder it still gets me a discount at my local lincoln-mercury dealer.

In any case, let's just keep that piece of history rolling!

Cheers!
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Wow, way to make an entrance! Nice supra (sorry that it got hit) - and nice XR. Yes, the turbo badge is nonoem. Nice looking ride - are you allowed to upgrade suspension in canada without insurance caring?

If so, i HIGHLY recommend going over every bushing on the car, followed by dampers and springs.
:cheers
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Bonjour!
Like Ray says, I'm sure you can get away with SOME fun with the car without upsetting your insurer.
Nobody can fault you for replacing "No longer available" stock springs, bushings, struts, shocks and even brakes with good stuff.
As for running out of steam at 4500, there's fixes for that too. There's a LOT of help available here on the forum.
Mike in Ottawa.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Nice car.

Looking forward to the journey.
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

Very Nice,
I did not see an intercooler? ......... :wink: That really isn't an engine mod is it ? :wink:
And X3 on the firm bushings !
'85 XR
XR4Ti_ADY
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XR4Ti_ADY »

Really nice find! Congrats! Hope it gets you countless hours of mechanic's/driver's fun.

On a side note, my donor 1988 was imported by the previous owner from Canada. Coolz.
Heaps of used XR/Euro SIERRA parts for sale.
LaurentD

Post by LaurentD »

Thanks everyone for the comments.

About the insurance thing, it's not that the government is against it, it's just that being a young male driver, insurance companies are pretty precautious. It is possible to find a company that will insure a modded car in Quebec, but they charge a lot for it, more so for young drivers (2-3k a year). Most people simply modify their car and not tell their insurer, but that just leads to trouble. In any way, I would like to stay with my current insurance company, since the cost is very low! I'll see with them if I can pass an intercooler as the extension of a radiator and a necessary upgrade for cooling the motor while driving in city traffic, in the summer... Generally they don't mind about handling or braking replacement parts, added power is what they would be against.

As for the suspension, I don't know. The one on the car right now isn't saggy at all, and seem in perfect working condition. No play whatsoever in the suspension arms either. I haven't pushed the car too much yet, but it handles very nicely. I'll have a closer look at the bushings and read about what the signs of worn out bushings would be. There seems to be a poly control arm bushing set on sale locally http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z226310751. Is that a member from this forum? Would that be good?

The dampers and spring work very well, though they visually seem somewhat old and weathered. Maybe they are non-stock. However lowering the car is out of the question; if anything, with the potholes and roads we have in Quebec, the car needs more suspension! I'll inspect them properly soon. I also ordered a repair manual from merkurdepot, on ebay, should arrive any day!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Welcome!
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Get pics for us from under the car when you get a chance... Might be some work already done!
I maintain the most fun-$ ratio is in brakes and suspension. After you put an exhaust system on, a boost controller, maybe an intercooler, there's very little return for the bucks.
Beware that guy on Kijiji... I tried to deal with him quite a while ago. He has 100s of listings, and everything seems to be made of gold. He won't post prices. :roll: I asked him about headlights....... $500. Bonne chance!
I've got boxes of stuff here... Boxes.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
LaurentD

Post by LaurentD »

Time for an update. I have gotten some stuff done to the car since I got it, but progress is really slow :(. Part of it is that I put most of my time prepping the FSAE car and team for our competition 2 weeks ago. Now that FSAE season is over, it's all towards the Merkur and things should move faster. Also, I have been battling with the front cosworth F/G replica bumper, that the previous owner had gotten shortened and cheaply installed. I am trying to save it all, even though it will still have the below the grill fit. I finished mounting the fog and turn lamps inside it and am pleased with the results. Its all SS custom brackets and hardware : no more goop or glue. I also re-fitted the RS500 lip properly with rivets.

The bumper is currently sitting on its 2nd generation of brackets to the chassis. Its almost there, but I still need to tweak some of the measurements to make it fit as perfect as possible. Yes, custom fab is very time consuming! Here is the final design for the brackets : I am picking up some raw material later today (304SS 1/8"), and it should be all milled and bent by tomorrow night.
Image Image

Now on the upside, I have had some time to ride /test /punish/ the car thoroughly this past week :headbang. Went for a tarmac ride on twisty country roads. The car held strongly, nice handling. Could do with a little more power, though. Surprisingly good gas mileage, a great little car. At some point, I ended on a gravel road, I didn't want to push it too much, but it seemed to handle really well on it.

So 2 days later, I tried my luck at driving as much twisty gravel and unpaved roads as possible. Wow! This is where this car comes to life! I had never had so much fun driving before. Even on stock bushings, springs and motorcraft suspension, the car handles so incredibly well. It is soo easy to control drifts, spinning the wheels on 2nd or 3rd gear. And the oversteer while braking makes it way fast trough corners. I am addicted! This car is simply amazing fun on gravel, and it took the beating like a champ. Nearly 300 miles of unpaved fun in the last days, even some offroading and not a single issue. Doesn't it look merrier when dusty?

The car could do with some more ground clearance though. A huge rock put a big hole through the muffler. Which I welded shut for a total repair amount of 0$.
Image Image
Anyways, since I can't up the power on the car, unpaved roads is where there is the most fun to be had at stock level. This is what I will build the car towards. Mudguards are on the way. I will start working on a light duty skid plate / splash guard. Then, I'll look into brakes and suspension.

I'm just wondering what are my options in term of ground clearance? My catalytic converter (stock ford huge and heavy rectangular box) is the lowest part of the car, by at least a full 1.5". It seems to be hanging very low. The downpipe hanger bracket is broken, but it seem like even when that is repaired it will be sitting low.

Anyways, thanks for reading and congrats to all Merkur owners for driving such amazing cars.
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

Looks like a candidate for an exhaust up grade/ I mean repair.
There is some nice 3" aftermarket stuff out there that would make a "nice" repair.
If you can't find stock parts at the ford dealer what else can you do ? :lol:
'85 XR
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Here's a quick clip that might help installing the bumper in its proper place:

http://youtu.be/BdfeiOaKMmY

The video is of a real Sierra Cosworth and shows the bumper fittiment and (factory) gap. The top of the bumper is actually in front of the grille vs. underneath it like the factory XR4Ti bumper sits.
LaurentD

Post by LaurentD »

A real exhaust "repair" should be on before the end of the summer, don't wory about that! As for the bumper, I would very much like to position it properly, but the previous owner has already gotten it cut and shortened :x . Now, I have to make the best of it, and it's giving me kind of a hard time.

Anyways, I went on a different project since the last post, and now things are moving along. I have pretty much stripped the whole car in order to udate the sound system.

It made it all easy for the wiring I had to run. The stock sound system worked, but the front speakers were shot. So I replaced all 4 speakers. I put in some nice Boston Acoustics up front, sitting on custom CNC milled oval spacers, to make them fit on the stock metal plate thing. Put in some Pioneers I had in the back. An Alpine head-unit, and a Kicker sub and amp. All that makes for a mashup of brands, but still a light and nice sounding system.

This is what the boot looks like now. The amps seems crooked on the pic, but its nice and parallel to the floor. I fabbed a bracket hidden behind the carpet, that is riveted to the car and the amp bolts into it. Sub box is small and provides nice bass.

Here is the view up front. Again, I had to mill a plastic bezel to seal the gap around the head-unit and make some aluminium brakets to hold it in place. I didn't keep the stock "four channel amplifier", but just the faceplate. The two knobs actually remotely control bass settings for the amp in the boot :D. And I made sure to wire in the faceplate illunimation also!

Finally, there is a surprise hidden it the ashtray. It's a dock for my cell phone. Not only does it allow me to charge the phone, it also is connected to the radio aux channel! Of course, if I have passengers, they can also play their music through the aux plug hidden in the armrest.

So that's what I have been up to recently. I also thoroughly cleaned and conditioned every single piece of the interior that I had taken out, before putting it back in. Some of them look like they are brand new, and the interior looks great. Now, I also have some questions to go with that!

1) So the stock wing has been replaced with a cossie one, thus loosing the center high mount stop light. Now my graphic display module constantly signals me that it is burn out, by illuminating the left rear lamp marker. It's perfectly normal, but it bugs me, and I wanted to correct that. By looking at the electric diagrams manual, I figured the best way was to chop the Black/Purple wire going to the graphic display.
However, when I got in there, there is no black/purple wire going to the module, nor is there anything on the port #20 of the connector. Does anyone know what is up with that?

2) Secondly, my accelerator pedal sits way low (about 3/4in below the brake). And, it looks weird, around where the cable connects to the peadal, like there is some metal scrap spacers. When the pedal is in the right position (all the way up), there is a big gap between the pedal and the cable stopper thing. Anyways, I haven't worked yet on a throttle assembly and couldn't find the appropriate section in the shop manual. Do I need to change the throttle cable, or is there something to adjust?

Thanks ahead!
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Why did you keep the stock amp in the dash?
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?