The hopefully no longer painfully slow 86 XR4ti

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
klork
Level 1
Level 1

The hopefully no longer painfully slow 86 XR4ti

Post by klork » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:14 pm

I havnt been on here in a long time and i have been meaning to post this over here. Since Merkursport will no longer be I might as well do it now.

I picked up this 86 XR about 3 years ago.

It ran ok but drove like $#!* due to a crappy C3 that leaked and for some reason liked to turn its fluid pink and frothy. So swapped it for a T-5 that came with the car shortly after I got it.

The car also came with the ugliest interior I have ever seen. This is the only evidence I have of what the previous owner did.

This thing leaked everything and the under carriage showed it.

I ended up getting a rear suspension setup up from a friend with solid mounted beam, and diff and delrin control arm bushing. Cleaned it all up and put it in.

Drove the car for a while and fixed a bunch of little things that the previous owner hacked togeather. Then the turbo died about 2 years ago and the car sat. Pulled the engine and trans last summer on the hottest day of the year (that was dumb) and it sat for another year. Fast foreward to this summer. I had been driving by an 89 for about 8 months now that was for sale. Stopped and looked at it and it was pretty rusty. Ended up talking to the owner for awhile and bought it for $700. The main reason I bought the car was because it had a good raven leather interior in it with no tears in the seats and only 1 small crack in the dash. The plan was to swap out the interior and put it in the other car. It ran decent with a couple of small problems and had a 5 spd in it. I noticed it was blowing the spark out after about 5 psi on the test drive so the first thing I did was change cap rotor plugs and wires. The plugs I pulled out were gaped at .045 so I knew I found that problem. The second issue was that it would build as much boost as you would let it. Found out that the wastegate actuator had a blown diaphragm so I swapped it out with one I had from the other car. Now it drives pretty good. So I drive it around and start to think that maybe I will just keep this car and scrap the 86 I have. That didnt last too long as once I got it onto my lift and got a good look at the under side of the car and then looked at the rust free bottom of the 86 I couldnt scrap it. So back to the original plan of swapping the interior and I am going to use the engine from the 89 since it only has about 74k on it.

This is the 89 I picked up.

I also swapped the hatch on the 89 for a spare 85 hatch I had because it was so rusty around where the spoiler bolts on that it was leaking a ton of water into the trunk everytime it rained.

So over the last week I have been working on removing all of the interior out of the 86 and cleaning the engine bay to get it ready for paint. This is where I am as of this afternoon.

I also have koni coilovers with 350 in/lb springs and koni shocks with 650 in/lb springs for the back from MC2 and a complete from bushing kit.

some of the other little things I have done is put in ARP head studs which will be transfered to the new engine, mildly ported the E6. I used an aluminum adustable clutch quadrant when i did the T-5 swap on the other car after the plastic one snapped on the first drive.

Also used an adapter from 460 machining to use a mustang drive shaft.

I will be installing a 3 inch elbow and a full 3 inch exhaust when I swap engines along with a rs500 style intercooler, ported lower and rotated or custom intake.
Last edited by klork on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

klork
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The hopefully no longer painfully slow 86 XR4ti

Post by klork » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Made a little more progress today. Should make quite a bit more tomorrow and sunday. Spent some time scrubbing the engine bay. Got about 1/4 the way done.

before

after

Also need cut the bolts off for the remaining lights as the nuts bolts are corroded enough the they just spin when I try to take the nuts off instead of the plastic holding the bolt head. Dumb design if you ask me.

klork
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klork » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Update time!

So finished scrubbing the engine bay.

Hmm whats missing in this picture?

Also got the crossmember and mount brackets blasted and in primer.

And cut some holes in my hood...

For some of these.

I did mess up cutting the holes and will have to use the hood off of the red car. If you look close in the pic I cut the holes too long. I made my template too close to the length of the vents and the vent isnt perfectly aligned with the hole so I have a gap in opposite corners or the vent. Oh well you mess up and you learn right?

klork
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klork » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Big progress today. Engine bay is painted!!

Also got the crossmember and mount brackets painted.

Tomorrow the I should have the engine and trans out of the red car.

klork
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klork » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:54 pm

Been awhile since I have updated and I have gotten quite a bit done. Sorry about the link to the pics and no actual pictures. My phone diedthat has my pics on it, I am not sure how to post pics directly from my google plus account, and when I download from google+ it downloads in a funny format that i dont feel like figuring out right now. So just click the link below and it will take you to the pics I have.

I have my megasquirt 3 completly assembled. That was a fun little project.

I ported my head then had a valve job done on it as I nicked a couple of the valve seats.

I have my intercooler and radiator bolted into the car where I want them. (No pics of the rad. got lost on my phone)

I rebuilt my steering rack and it is back in the car.

The brake booster and master cylinder along with all the brake lines in the engine bay are all hooked up.

The blower box is bolted back up.

The block, head, oil pan, pulleys, and all brackets are painted either ford dark blue or black.

The short block is bolted to the trans and they are both mounted in the car with some chucks mounts I snagged off of turbo ford on the engine.

The next step is to finish assembling the engine and start on the wiring harness. I am starting with all new connectors and I bought the wiring harnesses from diyautotune so I will have no old engine wiring or connectors to worry about. And the goal is to have no splices in the harness anywhere and to look neat and professional.

derekcrevi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by derekcrevi » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:23 am

Aww I remember this awful interior and that leaking c3 but slow. ..nahhh..13.90s..I didn't really hack things up either. ..I am the previous owner of that car. .lol

catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:10 am

Great build so far. Keep us posted
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight

Robert Urfer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Robert Urfer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 pm

I am also in Toledo. I wondered what happened to the burgundy car on Mccord. That guy was asking way too much for it. Glad to see you got it cheap. I sold his son a merkur license plate years ago. They have 2 pretty nice cars in their garage.

If you ever want to get together and talk merkur let me know. I have one still which I am always working on. If you need any pieces and parts I may have something laying around. I have had 16 xr's and a scorpio.

feel free to call or text.
Robert
419-290-1535

deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi » Fri May 23, 2014 2:45 am

Hey how this goin now?
Brian R.
86 SVO