XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
2barXR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2barXR »

Oh my!!!!!! this is wild... great work...
error: Insufficient space to complete my small list of mods.

Dean Cartrite
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Oh yeah, well can your's do this?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stephen
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Brad, you haven't posted pictures in more than a month. We're getting worried (and bored)!
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

anglin wrote:Brad, you haven't posted pictures in more than a month. We're getting worried (and bored)!
Maybe fitting the dump pistons?
Stephen
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Okay, nothing terribly exciting, but here goes...

Fabricated these little 90-degree brackets to better stabilize the remants of the T-roof to the vertical flange of the forward sunroof remnants. Bonded them in and then immediately spot-welded through the adhesive. The one on the right briefly got on fire when I left the welder on a bit too long. :oops:

Fabricating these filler panels has proven to be incredibly time consuming, but it's almost done now...
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

what gauge steel are you working with there for those panels?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:what gauge steel are you working with there for those panels?
Looks like it's 21 gauge - a tick thicker than 1/32"

The tallest open section will be over-lap doubled up however, plus there will be some square tube pieces bonded in to the top of the well to provide better support.
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

you dont want to just roll it for bracing, rather than adding weight?

or ribbing, i'm not sure what it's called but i know you know what i mean.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:you dont want to just roll it for bracing, rather than adding weight?

or ribbing, i'm not sure what it's called but i know you know what i mean.
In an ideal world, that's how it would be done, but I have neither the time, skills or tools. The square tube won't add much weight - it'll just be some strategically located chunks. In keeping with the junkyard dog theme of this project, the square tube served an original purpose as Contour rear deck lid support brackets.
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Really? the rolling tools aren't that expensive, and i cant imagine a body shop charging that much to put a couple rolls in the pieces.

Either way, i like the cut of your jibe.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:Really? the rolling tools aren't that expensive, and i cant imagine a body shop charging that much to put a couple rolls in the pieces.
It's not the cost of the tooling, more the time to learn how to use it properly. I imagine that it would also mean that sizing the panels would be a little more complicated. Maybe not so much - I guess you'd put the roll in the panel and then size it. Any way, too late at this point - I damn near spent most of my spare time last weekend sizing those panels. Good thing I don't do this for a living - I'd be living in a van down by the river by now. :lol:
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

As long as the drive-train was coming out, I figured I might just as well make my radiator support removable as planned and make life easier.

Here's the results....
In this one you'll note the cross-member on the floor...
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Now that is cool...how sweet would it be if that was a factory feature?
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Good thing I don't do this for a living - I'd be living in a van down by the river by now. :lol:
Best Chris Farley skit EVER.
Short story.. Stop me if you've heard this one before...
Some years ago, my "significant other" and I were planning our 14 month Windsurfing odessy, following the wind from Nova Scotia (look East of Maine) To The Gorge in Oregon, then to Cape Hatteras NC, back across to the California coast, down the Baja for 6 months, up the west coast back to Washington, then back to our Summer residence on Prince Edward Island for a re-union with all our pals.
For at least 6 months, between the Sacramento At Rio Vista, and the Columbia and a few other key spots, we actually lived in a van, (albeit a "B" class RV ) down by the river! The best part, as it relates to Chris Farley's sketch, a month before our departure, she gets her usual Alumni magazine from where she did her masters, and PHD... Reading up on her classmates, bragging on about their current status, we submitted her upcoming plans... To live in a van, down by the river!
Maybe you hadda be there. :?

Looking good, Brad! Less than 8 weeks to go!
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Good thing I don't do this for a living - I'd be living in a van down by the river by now. :lol:
Best Chris Farley skit EVER.
Agreed. Thanks to YouTube, I suspect 50 years from now, people will still use that line. :lol:
Mike McCreight wrote:Looking good, Brad! Less than 8 weeks to go!
Thanks for the cold, harsh, reminder Mike. :x I think I'll be okay though. I've scaled back the plans of what must get completed over the next 8 weeks, and it's entirely do-able.
Brad