XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Beautiful work. I can't imagine how good the next one is going to look!

It's time to ask this question. Perhaps it's already been asked, but I'm not digging through the other 20 pages to check. How much do you think this is going to weigh?
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr »

Brad,

This is my favorite thread on MC. Everytime I come over here, it's the first thing I look for. I think you're doing an awesome job. Can't wait to see it finished!
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Note the 3/8" PVC tube, stuffed down the A pillar prior to filling, to function as conduit for any electrical wiring.
:wink:
The graveyard of Terocore cartridges . . .
:shock:
Ten? You did get a good deal on Terocore.
. . . now with the rear seats . . . removed. No need for that any more . . .
Hey, hey, HEY! What am I going to use my E-ticket on now?
Stephen
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:It's time to ask this question. Perhaps it's already been asked, but I'm not digging through the other 20 pages to check. How much do you think this is going to weigh?
Not really sure. As it sits right now, I'd venture to guess it weighs around 2200 lbs, but bear in mind, it's not at all street-able at the moment. I'd say 2400 lbs is a good end-goal.

Thanks for the feedback. :thumb Trust me, nobody wants to see this done more than me! :beats head
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

anglin wrote:Beautiful work. I can't imagine how good the next one is going to look!
I'ts already spoken for. Don't get any ideas. :D
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I've really got to make progress on this thing every week if it's getting to Carlisle, so expect more frequent updates.
Some of you may recall that I cut a roof off a solid roof junkyard car in May of 2006. Finally got a chance today to cut it
to size, for it's intended use. This was way more challenging than I figured, owing to the fact that I really want
full coverage of the roof skin. The corners of the roof in particular, are overlap welded in, making extraction of just
the top skin a challenge. Further compounding the challenge was the fact that I couldn't tweak the sheet metal, given
that I'm overlap-bonding this to what's left of the original roof, so it has to perfectly maintain the original contours.
Here's the "before"...
And the "after", with roof test-fit in place
I still need to do prep work before I can bond this in place, but so far, so good. I've also made the decision that the gutters
will go away, giving the roof-line a more modern look (or so I'm thinking, any way :dunno)

Here's what the roof frame looks like after it's been skinned...

And here's the left-over back half of the solid roof, which could be used to "convert" a sunroof car to a solid roof.
(I could deliver this to Carlisle if someone was interested - just drop me a note off-line)
Brad
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr »

w00t w00t
yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit »

You're BONDING the roof on?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

yottabit wrote:You're BONDING the roof on?
Correct.
Brad
yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit »

You're a nut! :P

I can't wait to see more updates!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

yottabit wrote:You're a nut! :P
I can't argue that point. But relative to installing the roof, bonding it in is a far more sensible approach than welding. We're not talking Elmer's glue here, you realize, right? :P
Brad
yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit »

Well are you bonding just the roof skin? That makes sense to me... but you showed the whole roof frame cut off, so I was wondering if your bonding that in too. In that case I can't imagine there's much surface area for an epoxy to adhere...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

yottabit wrote:but you showed the whole roof frame cut off, so I was wondering if your bonding that in too.
No, that's just useless scrap from the donor roof. I've already cut it into 4 pieces and tossed it into the rolling dumpster (aka, parts car).
Brad
flylear45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by flylear45 »

Brad, I haven't been around lately after selling my Merkur, and with being knee deep in my own nutty project. It's fantastic seeing the progress you have been making!

I'll definitely be checking back to see your progress. I may have to actually make it to Carlisle this year to see this thing in person. Maybe I'll drive the 2.3TR7 and carpool with Saffian. Do you think I might have enough Merkur parts on my car to park with you guys??

I have to admit I wondered if you'd ever truly get this done, but I'm certain now that you will.

Go, Go, Go!!
Jim Franks

Merkur-less for now
member of the Bowling-Grippo fan club
2.3 turbo TR7 http://home.roadrunner.com/~jimmble/
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

flylear45 wrote:I have to admit I wondered if you'd ever truly get this done, but I'm certain now that you will.
Thanks Jim. Once I cut the original Brat in half, completion of the project was never in doubt for me; the only question was, "When?" Obviously, that question is still to be answered, but at least I can see the finish line now. :roll:
Brad