XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Couldn't help but to power-wash the engine bay and tunnel while the drive-train was out, so I did...

There's lots of other things I could be doing while I've got easy access, but I'm going to put most of that on hold and get a trusted drive-train in there and then get to work on making the car street-able.
Brad
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: There's lots of other things I could be doing while I've got easy access, but I'm going to put most of that on hold and get a trusted drive-train in there and then get to work on making the car street-able for the UConn show.
Fixed it for ya :wink:

Nice work so far!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

hEaT wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: ...making the car street-able for the UConn show.
Fixed it for ya :wink:
Isn't that later this month? Not a chance in hell!
Brad
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Haha, yea. April 19th.

Next year? :D
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Couldn't help but to power-wash the engine bay and tunnel while the drive-train was out, so I did . . .

There's lots of other things I could be doing while I've got easy access,
How about some of that Teflon-based anti-grafitti stuff? Makes almost everything rinse right off.
Last edited by CV12Steve on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Sheez, everyone's doing it now! :lol:
Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Are those "power washed" pictures above before and after?
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:Are those "power washed" pictures above before and after?
Nope, both are "after". There's still a lot of grease-ingrained stains in the paint, but I'm not going to spend any more time on that now. I'd like to do something about the surface rust around and below the battery tray area, but that may have to wait unless I can get to it today. The drive-train needs to get back in this thing so I can keep forging ahead.
Brad
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Forging ahead... to Carlisle, right? :)
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin wrote:Forging ahead... to Carlisle, right? :)
Indeed that is still the target, so one week later, engine back in with a T-9 attached. I couldn't help myself, so a few updates had to happen while it was out...

2nd gen stock roller cam installed
Updated Motorcraft valve cover gasket installed (replacing the leaky mess of RTV and cork)
Updated to round-tooth pulleys and new timing belt
Micro-V crank and water pump pulleys installed
Chuck's motor mounts installed :headbang
Removed EGR boss off upper intake
Probably something else I'm forgetting....

The good news is that the $35 junkyard T-9 works fine and doesn't leak. :bounce Mind you, all I tried so far was 1st, 2nd, and reverse, but I'm sure 3-4-5 will be fine.

Note how far back the shifter is - using Chuck's mounts, I positioned the engine as far back as it would go. That said, I think the other issue here is that since this car was originally a C-3, it's got that filler panel towards the rear of the opening rather than the front like the cars originally equipped with a T-9. I may have to drill the rivets out and remove it, but for now, it's fine.

But wait, there's more! :lol: I had access to a '95 Subaru Outback before the FD drilled on it, and right away, I knew what I was after (I'd eyed this very part before)...
As you can see from the second pic, what's neat about the bumper is the way it drops down in the rear - precisely what I need to provide clearance for the tail-gate. The dimensions are damn near spot on, but it will require some persuasion of both the metal and cover. This isn't on the critical path, so it will be side-lined and probably won't make the Carlisle-build out, but figured I'd show it now any way...
Brad
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

you know, that rear bumper and a jetta front bumper with no cladding would probably look pretty tight.
ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote:you know, that rear bumper and a jetta front bumper with no cladding would probably look pretty tight.
Indeed that is the eventual plan. Ironically enough, there were two cars that arrived at the FD, both involved in the same head-on collision. The aforementioned Subaru was one; a '97 Jetta was the other. I grabbed the indicator and marker lights from one side - that was the only thing salvagable.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Today, Project XRBrati performed it's first function as a "truck". I thought the first load was only too appropriate... :lol:
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

so, what's it registered as?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com