XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

That XR looks too good to butcher. I would find a beater XR atleast.
:)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Oh, knock off the sanctimonious breast-beating about cutting up the car! The man's going to ensure that not only does it live on, but that it becomes something truly unique and special! Go for it, man-- don't stop 'til you have it exactly the way you envision it! I'm interested not only in how it turns out, but how it goes along the way. Keep us posted! 8)
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Go for it! Git r done! No matter how it turns out, it'll still be eons ahead of that yellow roofless XR beast. :lol:

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

To some extent Martin Allaire's yellow XR convertible was an inspiration for this project. It's not something I would have done, but it got me thinking outside the box. I rescued the XR about a day before it was headed to the junkyard, with no particular plans for it until I came across a rusted out Brat at the junkyard. I took out my tape measure and wrote down a bunch of dimensions, comparing them to the XR when I got home. Quickly, I realized, THIS COULD WORK!

The biggest expense to date has been the shipping charges for the Brat, since I had to get it from Texas. You just don't find rust-free Brats in the northeast unless they've been preserved, and then they go for $3000 and up. Here's one that sold on eBay for $6900 just the other day:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

It's been much easier now to figure everything out with the cars next to each other. The outer width difference between the two bodies at the waist line is 1.5" (Brat is smaller), so I don't think I'll have too much trouble making a .75" transition on each side there. The Brat has these big inspection plates that easily unscrew on the inner bed walls which will be a huge help in giving me access to the back side to complete this part of the project.

I figured out last night exactly where I need to place the bed front to back - the cabin/bed partion will be bonded right to the back of the major crossing beam that goes under the rear seats. I would have preferred to set the forward section of the bed on top of that beam, but that puts it too far forward. I need to raise the effective height of that beam any way (it's lower than the rear floor height), so I'll just build some brackets off the back of it for the bed to rest on.

Okay, back to my real job....
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Lining up on the tarmac for take-off...

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

There's quite a bit of rubber on the back of that XR. How wide are they?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:There's quite a bit of rubber on the back of that XR. How wide are they?
Big. 245 maybe? Not sure off-hand, but the wheels are 16x8, 19mm offset; intended for a Fox body car. I've just got them on there as place-holders. With the car being a stripped roller, clearance isn't an issue.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

F6 Tornado

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Maybe it would be easier to just import one of these and weld the VIN in from the Merkur... :roll:

Click here to take a look at all the cool Fords they get down under...

http://www.fpv.com.au
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

So, how's it coming?
rat_n_a_cage
Level 5
Level 5

Re: F6 Tornado

Post by rat_n_a_cage »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Maybe it would be easier to just import one of these and weld the VIN in from the Merkur... :roll:

Oh, that's a Ford? At first I thought it was a Subaru. :shock:
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:So, how's it coming?
I've been more focused on dismantling the front half of the Brat, just to be done with it and get it out of the way....

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: F6 Tornado

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

rat_n_a_cage wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Maybe it would be easier to just import one of these and weld the VIN in from the Merkur... :roll:

Oh, that's a Ford? At first I thought it was a Subaru. :shock:
Yep, another cool Ford from down-under that we'll most likely never see.
rat_n_a_cage
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rat_n_a_cage »

I was just thinking today, even if it was just an emissions issue, couldn't they just stick a different motor in it and bring it over? Any variation of the 4.6 V8 would be perfect - the KingDaddy being the SC DOHC like in the Cobra!! 8)

...why do we get stuck with things like the Marauder and Five-Hundred? :roll:
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

'Cause Mom and Pop buy 'em. :wink:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

And because the average American is lazy, and many of them don't want a car that you have to drive. They want a car that is lifeless, easy to control, and has an automatic. The only thing that people even do is steer and throttle control, and they wouldn't even do that if they had a choice.