XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: XRBrati Underway....

Post by DAReese »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Needed to power-wash from the inside out before laying the wiring harness in - fortunately we had one day of above-freezing temps before the snow arrived....

I am sure it is the angle, but it looks to me like the middle is higher than the ends. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DAReese wrote:I am sure it is the angle, but it looks to me like the middle is higher than the ends. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
The skirts are off it, so no optical illusion - indeed there's more ground clearance between the wheels in these pics. They should be back on by the trip to Carlisle, but they're on the "non-essential" list, so not a priority right now.
Brad
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

That's the best looking XRBrati anyone's posted on here!
Stephen
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

CV12Steve wrote:That's the best looking XRBrati anyone's posted on here!
Yep, and it's also the worst! :lol:
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

One hurdle cleared yesterday - got the battery installed - no smoke - and was able to turn the engine over with the Scorpio key on the first try! Checked all fuses, and amazed to find that none had popped! :mrgreen:
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Too much time spent on getting the fuel tank plumbing sorted out, but finally done.

That's a Lexus upper section, re-sectioned and welded to just be a straight pipe with barbed 1 3/8" outlet, Saab 9000 fuel-filler elbow, "stock" bottom pipe, cut and then lengthened by 3" to just be a straight pipe.....

And yes, the vent hose needs to be longer. I just sorta hooked it up for the pic. I just need to decide how to Tee in a small vent line for what would have been the charcoal canister vent. I'm assuming I need this to allow for expansion/contraction, yes? Can/should I put a check-valve on it?
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

A check valve will limit either expansion... or contraction.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Camaro5690
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Camaro5690 »

Ray wrote:A check valve will limit either expansion... or contraction.
If you limit contraction, would the pump still be able to run? Wouldn't it create vacuum in the tank until it no longer had the power to run?
Adam Wilson
wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs »

Whats with the filler neck? Why cant you use the stocker? As I remember it doesnt take up much room in what is now the bed in your case, even with the larger than necessary plastic holder thing. As for the vent....if its sealed by the gas cap is it really venting anything? Its been a long time since I had a charcoal canister hooked up on any of my cars, but they are connected to engine vacuum if I remember correctly. I would think a vent flowing free to the atmosphere by way of a draft tube would work better..just hang a hose down to the level of the bottom of the tank and the vacuum created under the car just by driving down the road should vent it fine...and while moving at least no dangerous fumes would build up. The best solution would be to do it exactly that way...but relocate the charcoal canister underneath the back of the car somewhere and plumbbot between the vent and the draft tube, solves everything very neatly in a very OEMish way
'66 Mustang coupe 4.6l DOHC, T45 etc
'77 Celica Liftback GT SRT engine swap/MA5 trans swap
'87 XR4Ti b234f+he351ve+t5 in progress
'88 Silver XR4Ti daily driver(Holset HY35, Large NPR FMIC, generic BOV, etc)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

wicked93gs wrote: As for the vent....if its sealed by the gas cap is it really venting anything? Its been a long time since I had a charcoal canister hooked up on any of my cars, but they are connected to engine vacuum if I remember correctly. I would think a vent flowing free to the atmosphere by way of a draft tube would work better..just hang a hose down to the level of the bottom of the tank and the vacuum created under the car just by driving down the road should vent it fine...and while moving at least no dangerous fumes would build up. The best solution would be to do it exactly that way...but relocate the charcoal canister underneath the back of the car somewhere and plumbbot between the vent and the draft tube, solves everything very neatly in a very OEMish way
It's not hooked directly up to engine vacuum, strictly speaking, but to the airbox, so there is a small amount of suction pulling the fumes from the tank when the engine is running, which are then burnt in the A/F mixture. Of course, smog checks or the lack thereof vary widely from one place to another, but I would count on them getting more, rather than less strict, so keeping the charcoal canister if it's still there is probably a good idea.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

wicked93gs wrote:Whats with the filler neck? Why cant you use the stocker?
I've only partially covered the opening in the floor (about 40% of it), so the stock 2" pipe would now come up right about in the middle of the inner bed wall. As a result, I need to do two things - move the inlet out about an inch and make it smaller.

The 1/2" vent hose/pipe you see is strictly for re-fueling purposes. It's not needed with the 2" filler pipe as there's ample space for the vapors in the tank to push out past the fuel during the re-fueling process. With a smaller 1.375" pipe, there's not enough space for that and so a separate vent is needed, but the vapors are recaptured just down-stream of the cap fitment. So essentially it's a closed vent in the states where the fuel dispensers are required to have a rubber neck around the nozzle.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Camaro5690 wrote:
If you limit contraction, would the pump still be able to run? Wouldn't it create vacuum in the tank until it no longer had the power to run?
Right, that's what I was thinking - it really needs to be able to both expand and contract. It essentially needs to be a tiny vapor leak. A work-around could be a fuel cap that doesn't seal too well.
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Camaro5690 wrote:
Right, that's what I was thinking - it really needs to be able to both expand and contract. It essentially needs to be a tiny vapor leak. A work-around could be a fuel cap that doesn't seal too well.
This would cause you to fail smog here, via the fuel cap leak-down test-- not sure of the regs in your neck of the woods.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

John Brennan wrote:This would cause you to fail smog here, via the fuel cap leak-down test-- not sure of the regs in your neck of the woods.
Vehicles registered as historic are exempt from emissions inspections, at least here in NY and NJ. Even without that, as of a few years ago, inspections got easier for anything pre-OBD2 (pre '96). I guess they figured the overwhelming majority of the on-road vehicles were now OBD2, so they just rely on that to do an "electronic inspection" rather than a physical one.
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Same here Brad - classic tags are 20 years and older, emissions exemption 25 years and older - and cars that are pre 96' get a smog check and fuel cap check only.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com