XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Imagine the lawyer feeding frenzy when this wunderbar gizmo suddenly goes south on the freeway during rush hour... somehow, I don't think so... like all the flying cars we're supposed to be driving by now-- NOT! Would you trust your life to something like this? I can't even finish a brief cell phone conversation without being cut off half the time. :roll:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Greenturbo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Greenturbo »

i have to ask ..........

did you try to drive the front around without the back?
MEMBER OF FAST COMPANY
*86 XR4TI*82 Mustang TT351*65 Mercury Comet*
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Greenturbo wrote:i have to ask ..........

did you try to drive the front around without the back?
:lol: It did cross my mind, but seeing as how I had already removed the seats, I wasn't going to expend any effort in that regard. Furthermore, since it's AWD, I'm not sure if it would have even worked, and if it did, it probably would have sent tranny fluid out the tailshaft.
Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti on Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

I've always thought it would be funny to cut the back end off a FWD car and throw a couple of economy-size swivel casters on the back, let 'er rip, and see what happens. :lol:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I remember seeing stuff like that on Candid Camera when I was a kid. They had this car all rigged up to separate in two while under way, with people in the back seat waving at astonished motorists and passers-by! Ah, the Sixties!

BTW, if you did that, you wouldn't want the back end to swivel, or you couldn't control it very well!
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

John Brennan wrote:I remember seeing stuff like that on Candid Camera when I was a kid. They had this car all rigged up to separate in two while under way, with people in the back seat waving at astonished motorists and passers-by! Ah, the Sixties!
Ehh.. wasn't that in one of the "herbie the love bug" movies? :lol:
John Brennan wrote:BTW, if you did that, you wouldn't want the back end to swivel, or you couldn't control it very well!
That's the point.. it would be funny to play Crack the Whip with it. :D
Instagram @colinrdoyle
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Well, I'm glad to see you've finally started it :D

However, now I wouldn't mind having a Brat to drive around....I always thought they were neat little trucks.

Good luck with it.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Chuck W wrote:Well, I'm glad to see you've finally started it :D

However, now I wouldn't mind having a Brat to drive around....I always thought they were neat little trucks.

Good luck with it.
Thanks Chuck. I actually struggled with the idea of cutting this thing in half for quite some time. In fact, I had this Brat for over a year before taking the cutting tools to it. A rust-free Brat is very rare these days - good examples are appreciating - one just sold for over $6500 on eBay.

But to restore this Brat would have taken a lot of time and effort, and it would have gotten me involved in a whole other platform that I'm not currently involved with. I already spend too much time doing car stuff! The AWD is the thing that kept me second-guessing myself, but finally I just took the Nike approach... Just Do It!!! In a matter of about and hour, the body was in two pieces.
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr »

I could be just behind the times, but what's the latest stat on this?
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

AnXRNamedEllie wrote:I could be just behind the times, but what's the latest stat on this?
Someone's behind the times... but it aint you. :lol:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:
AnXRNamedEllie wrote:I could be just behind the times, but what's the latest stat on this?
Someone's behind the times... but it aint you. :lol:
Yea, no kidding. :wink: Once I determined it couldn't get done in time for Carlisle, I just stopped everything and focused on getting the "driver" ready for Carlisle and more importantly, the Glen. The to-do list had 12 major items on it, four of which are completed as I type this. They were the more time-consuming four, so I'm okay as long as I don't get any significant surprises over the next 30 days.

Back to the XRBrati, the delay has actually worked in my favor since I've since acquired a rust-free chasis to use as the platform. The rusty black hulk will likely be transformed to duty as a "rolling container".

Maybe I should invite Colin over for a weekend and he could knock the whole thing out and I'd be driving it on Monday. 8)
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Damn right. When it comes to hacking apart unibodies, I'm a trained professional. Check out my certificate:

:lol:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

Love this project Brad, although I could see some naysayers would say why not just stuff a 2.3 turbo into a Ranger?

Have you ever given thought to calling the UK and having them send you the back half of a P100? You could have them cut it down halfway thru the cab, and it's legal since it would be shipped as parts.

Anyway, best of luck with the project. I'm quite excited to see the result. Are you using a live axle?

Always wanted a convertible Merkur myself, but I can't justify it when a 2.3 Mustang convertibles are so plentiful!

Take it easy...
1986 Sierra Cosworth
http://www.geocities.com/merouby
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Anyone could buy a Ranger - that's too easy. :roll:

I considered bringing a P100 over, but it would be a costly venture, and I'd always need to go overseas for things like taillights, tailgate parts, etc.

This will be a "sheet metal only" job - everything below the hip-line will be original XR4 except for the very tail end (bumper, tail-lights, etc). The bed will be double-floored right over the existing XR pan. Still looking for the right stuff to fill the gaps between the two floors. The new structural foams would do the trick but I'm afraid to think about how much I might need, plus it expands very little.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

You could get your $$$ back by doing that if you filled the bed with Euro parts.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.