XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:so, what's it registered as?
Who said it's registered? :lol:

I figured I was safe going down to unload the semi parked in front of my house and back up to the garage. :P
Brad
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

That's a mighty large load to haul without a radiator. :lol:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin wrote:That's a mighty large load to haul without a radiator. :lol:
I guess I forget to post these in this thread... :D

Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Finally got final prep done on the roof panel. I'll bond it in within the next couple days...

And here's a shot of the filler panel I glued in a few weeks back - this is the passenger side....
Brad
Rotisserie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rotisserie »

ahh.

theres nothing quite as satisfying as progress...
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

So is the back going to have some kind of window or what?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:So is the back going to have some kind of window or what?
Absolutely. Hell, I've already got a spare set and gasket should they ever get broken.
Brad
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Dual sunroofs would've been cool. :(
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin wrote:Dual sunroofs would've been cool. :(
Yea, I agree. :( My initial plan was to use the entire T-roof of the Brat, but the deeper I got into the project, I realized just how difficult that would be, and I had to scuttle that plan. It also wouldn't have been consistent with the bare-bones, sporting nature of this project.

Some people have suggested that this would have been much easier with a solid-roof car, and while that's true, I'll end up with a much stronger roof this way because of the center "T" and perimeter overlap. In fact, it was recently brought to light that the roof sheet metal on the sunroof car is thicker than the solid roof cars.

The one thing I'm struggling with a little right now is the fact that the adhesive specifies an overlap bond of 1". I've got 3" across the front and center, and 5" along the sides. But I think given the roll-cage that's already in place, I've got a significantly stiffer body overall, so exceeding the overlap spec won't be much of an issue.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Okay, we're spooling again... :lol:

The Volvo pipe and Mustang inlet hose fit so well, I almost hate to replace them - they look factory. :D

Close-up shot of Bob's elbow. For the moment, that's the tailpipe too! :lol:
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Time to give this car a roof! Here's a shot of it being "clamped" in place last night, after adhesive application...

Why the inconsistent array of weighting, you ask? Well, unfortunately, we had a little accident with the roof panel the day previous. I mean, you install a turbo, the car demands a test drive, right? Well, here's what happens when you drive around with a piece of unsecured sheet metal on the roof. :beats head
It wasn't quite as bad as it looks, but I did need to clip off those two forward "wings" that go down the A pillars, as they took the brunt of the "unintended landing". The panel still wasn't the perfect match it had been, hence the ~100 lbs of persuasion weight. It'll be fine, but I was spitting nails at myself for awhile. :x

Here's the end-result...
Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Close-up shot of Bob's elbow. For the moment, that's the tailpipe too! :lol:
When I got my current road car it had even less exhaust than that. I just had the cast elbow off the turbo pointing the exhaust gases downward. Believe it or not, it was WAY quieter than with a downpipe only. I drove it 20 miles home just like that and then put my Borla dual setup on it.

BTW, I love seeing the progress pics...
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:I just had the cast elbow off the turbo pointing the exhaust gases downward. Believe it or not, it was WAY quieter than with a downpipe only.
Yep, it's WAY quieter than when I had the N/A header on it. That thing sounded down-right knarly - I kinda miss it now. :lol:
anglin wrote:BTW, I love seeing the progress pics...
Well, I've got 31 days to make a bunch more. I'm at a point now where the drive-train seems solid and it's all about making the thing street-able enough to drive to Carlisle and back. Do-able, but still a challenge.
Brad
XR4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by XR4 »

No offense but that thing is ugly as {%@.
But a funny storry me and a buddy took the hatch of my parts car the other day and we were looking at in a siad dude you could so use this as a truck. Now that i see some one acually did it thats freaken nuts.
PS. I'm jealous because that has to be the coolest thing i have ever seen.
T3/T4 turbo, Stinger Performance manifold, FMIC, Knock off Greedy type s bov, T-5 trans, Steeda Short shifter, Stage 1 clutch, OBX FMU, adj Fuel pressur regulator, MBC, external wastegate, and a few problems. But i still love it WHY?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

[Note to John Brennan: Reference "The Emperor's New Clothes" lesson here, too? :shock: ]

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!